This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

MTT - Time to oil those gears and get grindin'

• Kittelsen
      Kittelsen
      Basic
      Hello. I am Kittelsen. I have played MTTs for a living for around 5 years. Last year I haven't had the same drive as I have had in previous years. This year I will work on getting my motivation up to par and continue to have a consistent winrate over time. I am completely new to this forum, but have been posting on similar boards occasionally.

Why do I create this journal:

1. To structure my thoughts regarding poker, and be able to maintain consistency in focus and energy consumption.
      2. I want to be more active in an online community. If this helps me get more interested and motivated it has been worth the effort.

How will I do it:
      1. I will set up very short term goals, which if I can manage them, I will prolong.
      2. I will play poker tomorrow.
      3. I will write an honest summary of tomorrow here, including goals for the next day(s).

Time to get to sleep. Then to work.
  • 2 replies
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Bronze
      Good luck buddy :f_drink: while grinding poker, always have a few pictures of Liv Boeree and Sara Chafak lying around - helped me alot on keeping my motivation for the game
    • Kittelsen
      Kittelsen
      Basic
      Malendes: Thanks for the advice. Not a bad idea, though I might get too distracted then :f_tongue:

I played a MTT session for a few hours today. I ran up some stacks early to give me initial momentum. I managed to get a final table in a small 11 turbo on 888 with 400 $ up top. I came in as chip leader after, but tangled a bit too much with the second player in chips, and think I made some overzealous plays and potentially huge ICM mistakes, and ended up in 6th. Definitely unnecessery plays, and I will try to be a bit more careful as that may be a bad habit I have developed.

I also final tabled a 8 $ 180, which I ended in 8th after coming in 4th in chips. I made a pretty big ICM mistake I think, where i shoved 12x from BTN with QTo into two of the bigger stacks, with a 2-3 very short stacks at the table. Now I think it's important to keep accumulating for future EV as I can push the handcuffed players more around and get to shorthanded play more easily, but I think this was a mistake, but will have to run the numbers on it to see just how big a mistake it actually is. Shortstack play, and ICM awareness and how it affects the dynamics on the table is something I am usually quite good at, so I am not too worried about it, but it's always good to learn. Especially when I make silly mistakes. I guess I am in a mindset on small final tables where I want to give myself a good shot at winning, because the lower final table spots are pretty close in payouts.

I am a bit worried about my deepstack play when I am deep in tournaments. I feel like this is where I have the most to learn, and may be the biggest leak of mine. I managed to punt off a big stack pretty deep in the Big 7.50, where I ran a triple barrel bluff in a spot where he was so unlikely to call a hand on the turn that he can fold on rivers. In that particular spot I think I should even have folded preflop, which makes me wonder if I have been taking some risks preflop, that I don't have to where I can wait for more clear spots. I steal pre when I can, but I have to recognize better when to tone down my preflop ranges.

I rate my overall performance for the session a 6/10. Not bad, but for sure not good enough. Variance gifted me good stacks to work with, and I took some very high risk lines to end them. I kept a level-head through the entire session, and my mind was interested and motivated regardless of results, so that was good.

Goals for tomorrow will be the same:
      1. Play a poker session.
      2. Update here, and provide a HH or two.