[NL20-NL50] NL30 set

• v3rc3tt1
      Preflop call for set value, flop 3bet, turn value bet, river bet small because I put the guy is on pair of jacks, 2 pairs or QT and T8 in case he's been drawing.
      $0.15/$0.30 No Limit Holdem
      10 players
      Converted at weaktight.com

UTG footeux054 ($12.24)
      UTG+1 zlatyako ($52.48)
      UTG+2 Dr__Zoidberg ($31.12)
      MP1 Jukra ($31.92)
      MP2 IckleBoogy ($5.10)
      MP3 descheve ($21.66)
      CO Dan_G ($19.42)
      BTN Hero ($34.34)
      SB devilffish ($29.70)
      BB k00muu ($30.00)

Pre-flop: ($0.45, 10 players) Hero is BTN :4s: :4d:
      5 folds, descheve calls $0.30, Dan_G bets $0.90, Hero calls $0.90, 2 folds, descheve calls $0.60.

Flop: :4c: :9h: J: ($3.15, 3 players)
      descheve bets $0.90, Dan_G calls $0.90, Hero bets $2.40, descheve calls $1.50, Dan_G folds

Turn: A: ($8.85, 2 players)
      descheve checks, Hero bets $5.25, descheve calls $5.25.

River: Q: ($19.35, 2 players)
      descheve checks, Hero bets $7.50, descheve calls $7.50.

Final Pot: $34.35
      descheve shows: T: :8h:
      Hero shows: :4s: :4d:

descheve wins $32.85 ( won +$16.80 )
      Dan_G lost -$1.80
      Hero lost -$16.05
  • 3 replies
    • TimothyVdp1
      your betsizes are too small :(
      (flop isnt 3bet btw, its a normal raise, order is bet, raise, 3bet, 4bet (cap in limit), 5bet,...)

if u raise flop (which I dont always do seeing I'm in position and board is dry) u have to make it more, raise to 3/4pot-pot=> ~5$ or 4.9$ or something like that :D
      turn I bet 6+ as played but normally ~3/4pot
      river I bet 12 as played, if u bet the flop and the turn larger u can shove the river without it being an overbet (+u give very bad pot/implied odds for straight draws)

hope u noted that he called the riverbet instead of shoving the 2nd nuts here :D
    • v3rc3tt1
      I see. I guess I should switch to 6-tabling instead of 8-10 as now so I have more time to analyse the hands. Just to make something clear. What is considered 3Bet? Seems I don't really understand it. I see I"ve made a mistake on flop. Question is shouldn't I raise to 2/3 pot as flop is dry? Why 3/4 on flop and turn? I think standard play is 2/3 dry 3/4 or pot bet when drawy. I bet as blockbet on river because I thought that it's more likely to be called with a pair or 2. I played it like this because I wanted to get paid. Usually when I"m value betting I make it 3/5-4/7 if no scary cards for opponents. If there are scary cards for the opponents like in this hand Q and A I made it <1/2 pot. Another interesting question is when I play vs tight opponents - should I take the same line of play for the hands when we're talking about value betting? Because with thinking opponents that might help them read my hands. Thx in advance and happy holidays to all :)
    • Kaitz20
      Hand: I'd raise to 3$, bet turn 6$ and shove river.
      You should get money all-in with set, especially when player called on the flop.

questions: 3-bet means re-raise.
      On the flop you can't 3-bet, since player just made c-bet, so you can raise his bet.
      About bet sizing: making smaller bets on dry baord and higher on drawy boards is perficly fine, since you have to protect your hand it is likely that they would clal with worse hands, especially with draws.

Art of poker is to get opponent stack and likely you'd do that if you make false impression of your hand (unless it is set vs set situation or KK vs AA pf- coolers)
      They way how you play your hands preflop/postflop depends a lot of opponents and I can't give you the best advice- that you should figure out yourself.
      I can only give you advice what I'd do by the known information against that opponent- which could be very different opinion, since I don´t have all the information and I haven't played that opponent before.