Need some advice (9 Max) (+Progress Reports)

• PotBox
      PotBox
      Bronze
      Hey grinders :s_ugly:
      Looking for some some 9 max SnG advice.

I started my bankroll off a couple months ago with a few decent tournament cashes but the swings were getting to me (along with playing above my bankroll) :why:

I figured I'd make a change this new year and try something else. Starting in January I took up SnGs as I figured it would help strengthen my MTT game along with there being a ton of :f_confused: at the tables.

Here are my stats so far at the $1 stakes.

Nothing too extraordinary at these stakes but I figured I should be able to move up to the $3 tables soon.
      Before I do that I have a few questions for the :s_cool: s out there.

How many buy ins should I have before I move up?
        How much can I expect my ROI and ITM percentage to drop at the next level?

Lastly, should I try and get better at turbos instead? I started with regular speed tables at first because my bankroll couldn't take the variance and I was struggling to maintain more than ~5-10% ROI in the turbo format. I'm much better at deep stack play but I understand you can make more $ per hour multi tabling turbos.

Looking forward to hearing from the real :profit: makers out there.
      :s_drink:
  • 13 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Hello PotBox

Welcome on the PokerStrategy forum.

I have fixed your pictures for you, because basic members can’t show pictures the appropriate way without help. The easiest way to get bronze is to use 1 of our free money offers on a poker site you don’t have an account yet.

I recommend if you stay playing regulars to use a bankroll of at least 50 buy-inns at the $3 stakes.
      If you consider playing turbo SNG’s than it’s better to have a 100 buy-in bankroll.
      I’m not sure how much your ROI will drop on the $3 stakes, because I don’t play STT’s on 888poker. I expect on the regulars it must be still possible to reach at least 10% ROI.

I like the regular STT’s also more than the turbo format’s, but I don’t know off course if it’s still easy to play enough games at the same time. On PokerStars where I always play you can easy play 9 games at the same time on the $7 games if you play regulars, but the traffic on 888poker a lower. So that it’s good to check that out before you consider changing from regular to the turbo format how the traffic is in those games.

Best regards,
      SDK1987
    • PotBox
      PotBox
      Bronze
      Hey there SDK, thanks for the reply :f_love:
      My free money is in processing so hopefully that bronze is on its way!

After a Christmas withdrawal I'm almost back up to ~50 buyins so I guess it's time to test the field. :s_cool:

It seems that there's a bit more traffic at the turbos on 888 but I think I'm gonna stick with regulars for now since turbos just stress me out lol.

I'll post some results once I get a decent sample size.

:As: Happy grinding :As:

P.S. I deleted my comment saying the images wouldn't embed which ironically broke them again :/
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      That’s no problem for me and good luck with grinding as well :f_wink:
    • tuanht123
      tuanht123
      Bronze
      Thank you!
    • Grapejuice
      Grapejuice
      Bronze
      imo if you're a reasonably patient and responsable person i think anywhere between 10 and 20 buy ins is fine. i play the 2e tables with only a 16e bankroll. Mainly because there is no lower table than that in pokerstars. I only buy in with 80 cents though. But i doubt ill get rinsed out 10 times cause i'm a very tight player.
    • Grapejuice
      Grapejuice
      Bronze
      Oh SnG? Thought you only had to pay an entry fee for that.
    • PotBox
      PotBox
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Grapejuice
      Oh SnG? Thought you only had to pay an entry fee for that.
      Yepp, these are 9 man single table tournaments where the top 3 get paid with first place getting the most money. I've gone on multiple downswings of ~5-10 buy ins so I think a 50 buy in bankroll is a must when playing these. Sometimes you can play your best game and still get knocked out many times in a row.

Although using your strategy of buying in for 40 big blinds can work out playing TAG I think you should try and build your bankroll a little more so you can play at the full 100 big blinds. You are probably missing out on a lot of value by buying in for a small amount plus potentially playing a little bit too tight.

If you're looking for more information to expand your 2c game here's a link to the no limit cash game section.
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1375
    • PotBox
      PotBox
      Bronze
      Small progress report for anyone interested :f_biggrin:

I took a few shots at the $3.00 level and it went... decent I guess.

I made a few mistakes but IMHO I just got unlucky. It really isn't much different aside from the fish to reg ratio being a little bit less in our favour. There's still plenty of dead money so I think I'll start to turn a profit in the long run. A sample size of 100+ will be more accurate to see whether or not I'm ready to move up.

Since I'm on a fairly delicate bankroll I've been very careful with the times I take my $3 shots. I've been pretty much just playing regular $1 tables and throwing in one or two $3s. I think a large downswing would affect me mentally too much to try and multi table the higher buyins. If I get unlucky and tilted I usually take a short break and then just go grind out at the $1 level again to regain my confidence.

Here's the results from my regular $1 grind sessions. Still rockin' around a 20% ROI so my bankroll has been slowly growing :f_cool:
      I just wish I had more time to invest.

Thanks PokerStrategy for the awesome content :f_drink: It's already helped me patch a few leaks in my game.

I'll be a shark in no time :milord:
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Well done so far. Would be nice if you play at the $3 stakes that you win even more $ per SNG.
      I expect that would be possible even if your ROI is a lot lower than.
    • PotBox
      PotBox
      Bronze
      Finally had some good fortune and almost doubled my bankroll. Took 4th place in a $3 MTT for $144 which has allowed me to permanently move up to the $3 level. Since then I've been grinding it out and I feel extremely confident here so far. After just over 150 games I'm sitting at close to a 20% ROI. There are more solid players at this stake but I use that term loosely. There are still plenty of maniacs and even the solid semi-regulars are still hugely exploitable.

One problem I've noticed is at 888 the traffic is not optimal. Unless I'm playing during peak hours the tables take quite a while to seat at the $3 level. From 5:00pm onward I usually have to throw in a few $1s since I can't play as many tables as I would like to. I'm considering moving my SnG time investment over to PokerStars as it seems their traffic is considerably higher. Can any stars reg confirm this? From what SDK said it seems I'd have more luck over there. I've always wanted to move to stars anyway since it seems they have far more valuable MTTs within my roll.

Feb. 20
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      You have indeed more players on Stars and the players are indeed better, but I think it’s still possible to make a ROI of 10% on the $3,50 STT’s there.
    • jmm88
      jmm88
      Silver
      Good Run Potbox, congratulations!!

SDk i wan to know if you have a graph of a profitable ROI in $3.50. i wasnt able to beat this games the last year over 500 sng. but i run good in $7,15 and 30, and dont know if its for the rake.
    • PotBox
      PotBox
      Bronze
      Hi everyone :f_biggrin:

It's been awhile since my last post as I've been finishing up some college classes. I binked off a nice MTT win for $600 which has allowed me to move up SnG stakes, so I figured I'd post another progress update. I moved up to the $10 level and have been experimenting with turbos. After getting used to the format I've found the turbo fields to be way softer. Most of the time I only sit with one or two regulars and the rest of the table is full of huge juicy whales.

Here is a graph of my SnGs from the start of 2016.

You can see by the giant spike that I went on a pretty massive upswing after starting these $10 SnGs.

Here are the statistics from my most played games.

The bottom row is the $10 turbos where you can see my ridiculous upswing. Obviously I've ran into some extreme run good, but I like to think I've also been playing quite well :f_cool: I'm not expecting to maintain a 50% ROI over a larger sample size, but here's to hoping I can keep the run good alive :f_drink: