NL BSS: THE POKER FORCE PADAWAN Coaching thread

• LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach

Greetings fellow Pokerpadawans!

A long time ago, in a Poker room galaxy far, far away every single table was overflowing with fish.
      But now...

Despair you should not! A new year come has, and a new exciting course bringing you it is!

Well, we don't need to speak like Master Yoda to become a Master. However, In order to have the Poker Force with us we need to train like every Yedi or Sith, too. This is why you can join us now in our four weeks course - as a student, or, if you like, as a Poker Padawan like LemOn36 himself in:

THE POKER FORCE PADAWAN
      :diamond: Coach: LemOn36
      :diamond: When: Mondays 20:00-21:30 CEST (GMT+2)
      :diamond: Status: Basic (Podcasts are going to be released for Silver+ users!)
      :diamond: What can you expect: The Poker Force is an ever-changing entity, even the Masters like Yoda or the evil microstakes Emperor LemOn36 Himself have to from time to time become students. So During the week the Coach will focus on studying one side of The Poker Force in his own game using Pokerstrategy resources, and record what he's worked on in this thread and share it with you.
      :diamond: Each live episode will include
      1) Brief recap of work done, resources used, guide on how you can work on the area, too.
      2) Play at the tables to test the newly acquired knowledge on real force users at microstakes.

Episode1: YEDI, IT'S BEHIND YOUR BACK! - IMPROVING YOUR BB PLAY OOP
      Live Session Recording
      Working Post

Episode2: TILT: THE DARK SIDE OF THE POKER FORCE!
      Live Session Recording
      Working Post

Episode3: ANAKIN, I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND! - IP PLAY VS AGGRESSOR
      Live Session Recording
      Working Post

Episode4: THE JEDI STRIKES BACK- PLAYING AGAINST 3BETS
      Working Post
  • 19 replies
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      EPISODE 1: BB PLAY OOP
      Okay, let's get the work started

HAND HISTORIES
      [NL16] BB VS MP straight draw Flop +River play
      BB vs 4Bet Preflop range?
      NL25 BB vs BU FLOP+RIVER plays

Eh I just made a mess of things on this River. I'll talk about it if it comes up during coaching

$0.10/$0.25Zoom No Limit Holdem
      PokerStars6 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by WeakTight Poker Hand History Converter
      Stacks:
      UTG ($50.56BB) 51bb
      UTG+1 ($100BB) 100bb
      CO ($152.52BB) 153bb
      BTN ($277.32BB) 277bb
      SB ($103.12BB) 103bb
      BB Hero ($101.4BB) 101bb
      Pre-Flop: (1.4BB, 6 players) Hero is BB A 6

3 folds, BTN raises to 2BB, 1 fold, Hero calls 1BB

Flop: 7 7 6 ($4.4BB, 2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets 4.2BB, Hero calls 4.2BB
      Turn: 5 ($12.8BB, 2)
      Hero checks, BTN checks
      River: 3 ($12.8BB, 2)
      Hero bets 3.96BB, BTN raises to 14.04BB, Hero:

VIDEO NOTES
      1) http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/37423/
      OBLIOO: Big Blind Play - 3betting Out OF Position

Pokersnowie nice! My sub has expired.
      POLARIZED
      + we can call: we should call profitable calls and call and 3Bet Value hands, 3bet top of folding range = perrrfecto
      - often times the top of our folding range is not profitable to 3bet either
      This works on the river, but there's still 3 streets left to play preflop and playability is important
      DEPOLARIZED
      + put more money in with the top of our range, call with the rest of range strong enough to call with

Oblioo thinks 3b mostly de-polarized is best (where our 3bets are also +ev calls). But we can differentiate within that range and 3bet K5s even though it's a marginally +ev call.
      Note:I've been using this for ages with nands like 45s-78s that are almost always marginally +ev calls in the BB but don't lose much equity vs 3bet calling range VS just open raising range so 3betting them should be an overall higher EV strategy - but oblioo suggests this approach with other +ev calling hands as well

W34z3l on Off-table strategy
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/38974/

A great video, this one doesn't apply to the BB only but some great productivity points. For me:

"Let's play some Starcraft between sessions and listen to W34Z3l Video!

5 minutes later..."Or if you do things like playing Starcraft during grind time"

Shamefully Instaquit and uninstall"

-Playing Overrolled too much

- Having a poker Poker folder (1 instead of 7 random ones :D )

- Having a bucket list of things to work on instead of 1by1: I will mention this in today's coaching
      - Importance of focusing on those parts one by one
      - Playing lower amount of tables at the start of the session
      - And we should treat our poker career as a business, with Time being the most valuable resource - and should manage it using e.g. hotmail calendar etc.

RANGES
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/2258/1/
      This article seems way too tight to me, and goes against Oblioo's ranges - it's been written a while back but I think we can be calling way wider, call AXo vs BU and definitely not 3bet those.
      One problem with Oblioo's approach is the necessity to start calling 4bets oop vs good opponents, especially with today's sizings but
      A) At micros it just pays to 3bet de-polarized as people react badly to 3bets
      B) At higher stakes vs good opponents we simply have to as it maximizes our EV, even though it does lead to difficult spots.
      And the ranges in the article are avoiding that but seem sub-optimal

W34z3l
      w34z3l's 6max walkthrough - (microstakes edition)
      I've converted them all into power equilab like this

you can put all ranges in one table and you see the exact breakdown of % and combos of each part of the range
      (red=value, Orange=bluff, Green=call)
      The ranges that w34z3l has here I've been more or less using intuitively, and they do work reasonably well at microstakes.

THE R Method for Calling

This uses the Power equilab playability function. It basically puts handicaps on specific hand groups
      I've taken an attempt at adjusting the in-built chart for PE, with reasonably conservative numbers as such:

Now what I can do with this is take Preflop ranges (I have them set up for myself, and will use them for simplicity vs others)
      Put in odds for sizes and receive a range I can profitably call with.

Here's the breakdowns I used with my playability editor values and different sizes

Now if I take oblioo's take at things that we should 3bet hands that also are profitable calls, I can simply take these ranges, and then create a 3betting range out of those hands to set up defaults.

And in real-time play I can simply adjust to specific villains

Really peculiar thing and getting around the de-polarized 3bet range
      I'v seen Sauce 3bet KQs in BB vs UTG as default vs unknown in zoom. And Snowie plays mixed strategy with it

And it's actually a counter intuitive thing but when you look at equity:
      KQsvs UTG open range
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 47.06% 44.65% 2.41% { KQs }
      MP3 52.94% 50.53% 2.41% { 22+, A2s+, KTs+, QTs+, J9s+, T9s, 98s, 87s, ATo+, KJo+ }

And vs 3bet call range of
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 47.55% 45.56% 1.99% { KQs }
      MP3 52.45% 50.45% 1.99% { QQ-88, ATs+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 98s, 87s, AQo+ }

so KQs actually can gain in equity when villain's range gets actually tighter!

issue with that always was
      that you "don't 3bet a hand when you don't know what to do vs a 4bet" and you're "turning it into a bluff"

But people started calling 4bets pretty much just based on equity so that goes away. Also KQs when you do get called isn't the easiest spot in the world and you need to be good postflop to realize that equity the hand retains - this is why W34Z3l's ranges make a lot more sense for average microstakes regular, but you can afford to 3bet more merged ranges when you
      A) Are good postflop and have it figured out. Or want to figure it out and get better
      B) Are just better than your opposition. That's why we isolation raise or 3bet recreational players.

So to get the benefit of this, you need to accept it's gonna be difficult to play potentially but is overall highest EV.

And from now on I'm totally 3betting KQs in BB vs MP, UTG at micros where nobody 4bets correctly, it's usually easy to know what to do.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Episode2: TILT: THE DARK SIDE OF THE POKER FORCE!
      "Individuals who used the dark side drew their power from darker emotions such as fear, anger, hatred"
      -Wookipedia

A player with no flaws in mental game would be capable of playing 16hours per day every day with do drop in performance. He would be utility maximizing machine, always doing what's best for him - if he'd play, he'd focus completely. If he'd study, he'd study the concepts with highest impact on his win-rate. If he deemed it necessary, he would react - but he would not be watching movies, browsing facebook or even be at the computer - instead he'd maximize his relaxation time by working out, meditating on fresh air, yoga, travelling or socializing with high quality people
      He would never procrastinate, never feel anxiety that'd stop him from performing, he'd never get tired but even if he did it would hardly affect him and he would just do the tasks that lead to peak performance, no matter how uncomfortable.
      Or, in other words, he would be a robot, or a psychopath.

I have to accept that my psychopathic dials are turned down, and although of course many ladies would swear otherwise, I am not a machine either - emotions like the ones that lead to The Dark Side will always be in the background, tempting, coming to surface of the mind and all one can do is to get on a never ending journey to become more ruthlessly EV maximising. Or as Tommy Angelo said No one is tiltless, which means everyone can tilt less.

MENTAL HAND HISTORIES
      Concept from Jared Tendler'sMental Game of Poker, he coined the process as:

5 steps
      1. Describe the problem
      2. Why does your reaction make logical sense
      3. Why is that logic flawed
      4. What is the correct way to handle the situation?
      5. Why is that correction correct

And I will be using it loosely as looking at a problem or specific hand histories, where instead of focusing on my play, I'll focus on emotions that are not helpful/EV Maximising

THU 11:40 AM SESSION

- remeber runbad in mornings
      " when day starts badly I usually feel anxious for the rest of it"
      -snap checked weak SD hand
      -snap checked air OTR

PURPLE PLAYER
      - Feel anxiety when check folding on a bad board vs one: Brain wants me to play back when I do it a lot
      I tranied myself to snapfold to their large 3bets (pinkiblinki) but at the back of my had I really wanto foght for the pot with weak hand
      when losing I wnat to play more aggressively, not fold in close spots

Felt anxiety her on river vs that sizing when had to fold
      https://www.weaktight.com/h/569f64f4d39043e31c8b4668

https://www.weaktight.com/h/569f6580d390433d4c8b45ae
      "I like my play" rational thought process, would work well vs AJ OTR
      When I lost at the back of my head "I want to beat him, their dumb stuff alwyas wins"

https://www.weaktight.com/h/569f66d8d39043df358b4751
      Instant instinct to play back somehow vs stuff like this without thiking

FEW PREFLOP BLUFFS DIDN'T WORK - after last one (AJo IP - super standard) my head starts telling me "Maybe you should stop bluffing altogether" and change my gameplan mid session based on how I run.

After now winning any larger pots for 20 minutes I feel strongly like opening youtube/forums

https://www.weaktight.com/h/569f68e7d390437f718b4728
      "wow...he called me with that... + frown"

Feel relief when I win a pot - wanted to check cashier when I knew I was down.

30 Mins Done - fell like instantly checking cashier to see how much I'm down so I can anchor it for the rest of the day

SESSION2

- watching a YT video "Just want to grind"

https://www.weaktight.com/h/569f9437d39043963e8b45e2
      -Being some 35BI below EV last few months I kinda expect it to happen and prepare only for losing the hand postflop and then don't really react when I do and am super surprised when I win - healthy or not?
      I don't check AIEV line almost ever anymore

SESSION 3

Played Starcraft, tired from yesterday, had 7hour sleep - heavy food, nap straight into play zoom 4 table

-Made a couple really close river calls that turned out bad and I knew they could be folds
      hit my mouse on the table
      didn't want to write it down, just wanted to play moe hands and WIN

When I do win pots I calm down - suddenly can make folds, even big ones

When I'm losing a lot I snap choose call/bluff in close spots
      Ended session

THURSDAY

gym in morning, visited great aunt for Bday, nap, grind start 17:30
      1ST HAND OF THE NIGHT
      https://www.weaktight.com/h/56a10860d3904382118b471c
      Anxious on the river even though seemed like straightforward play
      -worked out PF call last week

https://www.weaktight.com/h/56a108c5d3904382118b474d
      -called quickly OTR: midstack guy thought he was FOS. "Meh" feeling when he had it.

https://www.weaktight.com/h/56a10963d39043bd518b478c
      2nd in a row lose to fish. dissapointed a bit when both Hit N Run

https://www.weaktight.com/h/56a11fead39043422b8b45f4
      these hands tilt me in Zoom "of course he gets there... thinking."

Thinking about recording a tilted session - Worrying it'll go badly and I'll have to stop. Even though it going badly has high EV.

FRIDAY

Brain wants me to sit all regulars HU who take my seats. Even though it's an awful idea as first session of the day

Was watching youtube while playign really solid/tight - won quite a bit and "just want to put volume in"

when I'm up I have the tendency to quit to feel good when session ends.

SUNDAY
      low amount of sleep, was off gym+supplements super tired = best time to work on mental game :)

https://www.weaktight.com/h/56a4c268d39043ed0a8b4578
      PURPLE VILLAIN GOT LUCKY
      Flop "he reps fuckall" River - clear bluff because of blockers

This hand gets to me - when I make a "clever" marginal play and the other guy gets lucky and wins with his dumb play I get tilted.
      "I deserved to win, of course his dumb play wins. Someone takes away my toy.
      When I'm not sure my play's good, but I want it to be right. His 2 cards show me it was right, but his dumb play beats me anyways I get annoyed.

=UNCERTAINTY IN MY LINE, ENTITLEMENT

35BI UNDER EV

I EXPECT TO LOSE when I'm all-in and get happy whenever I win: I THINK THIS IS GOOD
      AS LONG AS I'M NOT AFRAID TO GO ALL-IN it's a good approach as I'm preparing for the thing that hnas the largest emotional imact=Losing
      I don't have to prepare for winning.

SAME WITH VALUE BETTING - I EXPECT HIM TO HAVE IT, and if he does, fuck him I'M vbrtting anyways

GOOD RESULTS, NOT FEELING 100% - AVOID PLAYING
      feel like starting lower limit or not playing at all - attached to winnings
      just realizing this made me open my main limit anyways

https://www.weaktight.com/h/56a522ced39043ea738b4661
      I'm up quickly in the session, the got 4 outed OTR and feel like taking a break "while still up"
      I do this all the time
      =FEAR that leads to ANGER when I do lose! I'm afraid of moving up too = Can lose. It's dumb not max EV

MONDAY - LIVE COACHING VIDEO SESSION

3WAY FLUSH DRAW OTT
      - I bet instantly big even with midstack fish in the pot

OTR SNAPRAISED
      - I snap called when I can be easily beat
      - I knew it might a fold but I called anyways because I didnt want to fold my straigh OTR

WHEN TILTED
      - I instantly smashed a button when I bet (too big vs a fish)
      FLOP + TURN I wanted to win pot right now - I want him to fold so I make it large
      - I check auto check On The river with mediocre hands

I MISSCLICK MINBET in a squeezed pot
      - then I bet big on a terrible turn because he just called my minbet

Low tripps close spot OTR
      - I instantly called without thinking
      I was thinking "he just cant have the trips on flop (88) because 3bet!
      I kept believing it through the hand

I snap check mid strenght hands

When tilted I bet bigger beacuse I want people to fold

-SNAPCHECK WEAK SD HAND
      -snapcalled without looking at betssize after showing weakness OTT with bottom pair

I DONT PLAY REGULAR SESSIONS PROCRASINATE A LOT

VIDEO NOTES
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/39204/
      LuckyLuke: Additude Adjustment
      Yay! I love Luke - for the first time in my life when I had a podcast with him I thought to myself "fuck, this guy is just on another level" And I didn't have a strict opinion about anything ever since because I realized how much I don't know and that there are people WAY smarter than me out there.
      Notes:

Entitlement
      We think we deserve something because of our hard work, passion for the game... We take things for granted instead of counting our blessings, fighting for what we have.
      1) entitled to win
      2) Entitled to feel a certain way "I AM ENTITLED TO FEEL BAD AS I RUN BAD" I am tilted, I have the right to express that as I feel bad.
      THE WORK WE'RE DOING ON MENTAL GAME IS BASICALLY ACKNOWLEDGING THE POTENTIAL TO WORK ON SOMETHING AND IMPROVE IT, knowing what the benefits are and making a voluntary choice to do that rather than indulging in our right to feel XYZ in our routine reaction to things.

Note:Shit, I have that all the time. Not so much with preflop bad beads KK v AA etc etc. or with coolers. But in hands like these https://www.weaktight.com/h/569cf33ed39043413c8b4734 that I've shown at the end of last video. When I make a great marginal play and outplay someone and the Hand vs Hand results turns out to be right and then I lose anyways. I feel "betrayal" in those spots when I put in the effort, simply own someone and then lose anyways

Self Importance taken too far
      i.e. we're feeling really bad when we have a bad beat and it only happens to us - it's just as anybody else, but it's more important as it happened to use and well - us is us :) There's no need to actually buy into the story line we tell ourselvesevery day, or what happens to me in this moment really matters. We should hold the practice of approaching our approach to things very lightly as opposed to really seriously.

Poker IS A GAME. Poker's a great training ground for when something REALLY big comes up in our lives. The ability to hold very lightly to our sense of self-importance is going to serve is very well.
      However there's no need to sacrifice the sense of our self-worth or standing up for ourselves when necessary

Fear and Anger
      ANGER=MANIFESTATION OF FEAR
      A lot of our actions and words and reactions expressed in anger are very often closely related to the things we're afraid of. Sometimes when we get angry when we suffer a bad beat it's tangled up with the precariousness of our own fortunes. Certainly when Often when you're angry at the tables, it's just fear of not holding up to your expected standard of game/winnings
      - It is easier to e.g. display anger than show weakness

Aggression VS agitation
      Aggression is a vital part of good poker game. However we should aim at playing aggressively without becoming emotionally angry and agitated
      Naturally the two go hand in hand I believe - when I get angry I play more aggressively and vice versa[/b]
      It's not about becoming removing emotion, It's about Relating to emotion developing a playful, relaxed relationship with our emotion, more as a game
      Or:
      "We can see our states playing poker as Fulfilling a role in a drama without buying it into it completely and losing the idea that it is indeed a drama, and not really real.

Parrot Voice
      - Our verbalization that we are making all the time. It's constantly ticking along semi-consciously.
      note: What is the sound of one hand clapping? It's the thoughts in your head when you start meditating. I just watched this today randomly:

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-meaning-behind-What-is-the-sound-of-one-hand-clapping

Mind is restless, we can't control our mind really
      Note

metaphor for our conscious thinking and sub-conscious mind. You need to switch focus.
      We need to develop inner quiet that temporarily stops the flow of thought and we can focus on the present moment, being deeply immersed in the experience

note:training awareness and being able to observe own thoughts in a detached way will immediately calm you down and at the table play way better. However I personally found that although meditation does increase the ability of the brain to concentrate overall even when you're not meditating, the largest immediate effect is when you can maintain awareness in the present moment. I found it unrealistic to actually achieve that in the long run, especially with my low self control and so many distraction on the computer, and the very nature of multi-tabling online cash game poker. I do have periods where I can maintain almost constant meditative state. I even have the what I call "best week ever" when I was seeking experiences and just merely observing. When playing poker I observed the bizarre flow of my thoughts with amused detachment . It is incredibly hard to stay in that state.

The biggest benefit in practice instead for someone like you and I who isn't Luke or Tommy Angelo is the fleeting moments of awareness itself. Because if you were able to do that most of the time, you wouldn't have to work on tilt at all - it is very very hard to tilt when you're in a meditative state: You observe your thoughts, let them flow, don't dwell on them and then do the right thing regardless.

Instead you manage to be detached and follow your flawed thoughts for the short time spans you manage, especially in the times when your mind is racing, you are tilted and you are anything but mindful but then you record those, and deal with the underlying issues (as e.g. Jared Tendler shows) even when you're not in the mindful state that is so hard to maintain for folks without discipline like me

MEDITATION
      I won't get into this as I've studied ZEN, meditated for years etc. for basics watch the video.

TYPES OF MEDITATION
      COMPASSION MEDITATION
      -Breathe in: Visualize white light going in through your head Breathe Out: Love to all beings going out
      Netx breath: Switcharoo: Compassion from the world going in, white light/pure energy going out
      I've done this years ago, but with white light coming in, dark stuff from me going out. Selfish fucker me :D
      EMPATHY MEDITATION
      focus on somebody that you love for a few minutes
      -image, sense of them in your mind. Then you switch to someone that you don't like. Watch the mind's reactions.

note: I've done this at Zen during 30 minute meditation. I always wondered what happens when you fart loudly or get an obvious boner (that time nobody noticed) during group meditation. But the mindful approach would be just doing nothing, and observing the thoughts that your mind generates, just like you do with anything else- I don't think I am there yet :] When you do it right are are mindful, you essentially become shameless, close to a psychopathic state (in a positive way if you please) and can truly become ruthless as your thoughts like anxiety fear or shame won't stop you as you merely observe them and let them flow
      PHYSICAL MEDITATION + WALKING MEDITATION
      focus on all parts of your body or walk. I made it a point to do these every time I wait for someone, especially if they are late- a great way to spend your time and be absent of anger when they do show up. And if the don't you can thank them for making you meditate :D

MEMORY MEDITATION
      you e.g. at the end of the day lie down, and actively try to recall all things you remember from that day.
      note: I keep a journal from time to time, and try to do just that, only written down and it's just awesome for "UNLOADING BRAIN RAM" once it's on paper I no longer have to concert myself with it - fuck me I should do this more often, I stopped for a few months and started only recently! It started as a journal about girls, and dates with my awesome gf because I just really want to remember those :)

EXCERCISE, GAZING, SINGING
      I always do the gazing one, just stop in the middle of nowhere, if I cared I'd probably say people think I'm having a stroke, looking at everything like kid, including aggressively holding eye contact. I've even went to the crowd, looking for eye contact with strangers so I can follow the thoughts that pop into my head - great meditation technique.
      And nature is awesome, I love going to random new places just making a point of seeing all the new without thought[/i]

Damn took me like 1.5 hours to watch 25 minutes. Ima steal this hope Luke won't sue:D
      After session, or at the end of the day, ASK OURSELVES THIS

ARTICLES
      Principles of Tilt Control
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/psychology/1945/1/

- answer to tilt is not quitting. It’s a way of managing your tilt problem by avoiding the situations that provoke it, or make it wors YOU CAN'T SOLVE YOUR TILT CONTROL FROM THE RAIL

Improving tilt requires sustained focus over a longer period of time. There is no "Golden Bullet"

TILT= Anger+bad Play
      When your emotions or anger rise too high, the brain shuts down your ability to think.

1) Spot signs of tilt
      - more hands
      - fast acting
      - swearing, throwing mouse
      - forcing the action and basic mistakes

2) Deep Breaths
      -focus on breats creates separation in the mind from your emotional reaction
      So you can inject logic

3) Inject Logic
      - Thoughts that both calm you down and corrects the flawed approach

For example, let’s say you tilt when a fish sucks out on you. You may hate it in the moment, so much so that you tilt, but when you look at it logically afterwards you realise that a fish sucking out now and then is precisely what makes poker profitable.
      To that you'd tell yourself
      fish have to suck out for me to make money long term. Stay focused and play well, that’s all I can control right now.”

EXCERCISES

SNAP CHECKING WITH MEDIOCRE HANDS

Why does it make logical sense that you would react, think, or feel that way?
      There's nothing I have to decide - I want to check and move on.
      Why is that logic flawed?
      It A)Gives a a very to spot easy tell
      B) Often I miss e.g. turning hand into a bluff by betting, check raising etc.
      What is the correct way to handle the situation?
      Take a few seconds to think

Why is that correction correct?
      It will force me to think about the spot more, people won't get a tell

EMOTIONAL CHARGE WHEN LETTING PURPLE PLAYERS (TAGS who don't like folding, can spazz) WIN POTS
      - at the back of my had I really want to fight for the pot with weak hand
      - when losing I want to play more aggressively, not fold in close spots. Emotion builds up when I lose to this group a lot of pots in a row.
      I know they don't like folding and fight for pots, so my ego has the natural urge to defend itself as I feel threatened
      And when they beat me often I naturally have the urge to fight back - I won't let them steal my pots!
      There is no threat - only treat is over reacting and becoming one of them. It's only fear and low confidence in my game.

Just observe my feelings like a drama that I have control over - and then play solid tight strategy - believe in my game without over adjusting, allowing them take down marginal pots. Think of the spots when I will beat them just by having a solid strategy.

They will hang themselves and I will beat them just by not changing my game plan. It will not build up emotional charge and get agitated and contribute to tild and fear of playing.

CHANGING STRATEGY BASED ON IMMEDIATE RESULTS
      - few 3bets don't work at Zoom, I starts betting tighter
      - when few 3bets don't work my head starts telling me "Maybe you should stop bluffing altogether" and change my gameplan mid session based on how I run.

My mind focuses on the short term, it's a powerful pattern recognizing machine - so when it seems something happening 3-4 times in a row, it identifies the pattern and wants to create a solution. When my aggression didn't work a few times my mind assumes it won't work in the future and wants me to avoid the spots that lead to having to 3bet/fold.

I am used to regular tables where this automatic pattern recognition is an advantage

In Zoom, opponents are swapped - there is little correlation or reason to change my game based on the tiny sample from 3 different opponents. The Zoom Pool hasn't changed from how I play usually - there is no reason to change my game whatsoever based on results within a day, yet alone 5 minutes where 4 bluffs don't work

Stick to default ranges against uknown fullstacks and regs with no reads.
      "I've worked on what the best gameplan against unknown is. I believe in my off table work and only sticking to it will lead to optimal results long run - short term results don't change anything"

REALIZATION: I AM NOT CONFIDENT IN MY 3BETTING RANGES! IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE I'VE REVISITED THEM AND THAT'S WHY I START CHANGING THEM ON THE FLY[/b]

There are no adjustments to be made within one session against unknown fullstacks and regs - I will make the most money and I will save mental space for more important spots.

URGE TO PROCRASTINATE/FOCUS LESS WHEN NOT WINNING POTS
      - After not winning any larger pots for 20 minutes I feel strongly like opening youtube/forums or just adding tables
      - Feel relief when I win a pot - wanted to check cashier when I knew I was down
      - Often when run bad I grind without focus, waiting to "win a big one" and then start focusing again

1) I tried and focused to the best of my ability but keep losing anyways - logically my brain thinks it doesn't matter if I focus or not, so might as well relax and watch movies/youtube/facebook.
      2) I feel bad and fearful I'm not good enough when losing so naturally distract and protect myself from that feeling and avoid it.
      1) The less I focus, the more likely I am to lose even more, and then focus even less, lose more etc etc. That's why I rarely have breakeven days - either win or lose a lot.
      2) It is never correct to try to ignore the feeling and problem instead of facing it head on and creating solution right off the bat.
      When I start losing, I use my timebank, take more notes, think through situations and pick the highest EV line once I'm sure it's just that.

More thinking and focus=>bigger edge=>more likely to win=>more likely to feel good/focus even more.

Fear and results
      WHEN I RUN GOOD WANT TO PLAY LOWER THAN I KNOW I SHOULD OR AVOID PLAYING when I don't feel 100%

I feel like I ran better than I should - I have enough money right now and like it that way, so why would I risk losing it by playing higher or the same stake, or at all for that matter - why not just move down, play it safe, or just do something else and not risk at all?

Money in poker long run = HOURS PLAYED*HOURLY RATE
      Every hour I DON'T PLAY or work on INCREASING MY LONG run HOURLY RATE I essentially pay HOURS*HOURLY RATE as an opportunity cost expense. If I play a lower stake I'M LOSING ON LARGE PORTION OF LONG TERM HOURLY RATE
      It makes no sense to not play as high as possible as much as possible when I'm winning, because to win I have to play.

Winning or losing doesn't matter. What matters is hours I put in, and work on increasing long term hourly winrate.

When I run good, I put in as many hours as possible as high as possible as my focus and mood are at their peak. I will keep playing no matter if I win or lose, as playing is what matters, not results. I take shots at higher stakes when winning and playing well, and remain at least at my regular stake when I don't play my A game. If my state is so bad I can't win even there, I will take steps to get to that state by taking a nap, going to the gym etc.

I will play more when I feel good and am focused. I will maximize my long term hourly and move up faster.

WHEN I'M UP AND LOSE A POT in a suckout I want to quit the session "while still ahead"

I am attached to my winnings - I like them very much! Now when this ridiculous suckout came, it logically can happen again - I can lose my winnings and instead of feeling great I'll feel like shit so might as well quit, take a break and then start again fresh from 0!
      What matters is the long run, because I run good or bad right now is irrelevant - I want to win as much as possible, and all that matters is hours I put in.
      I accept that the suck-out came, feel the bad feeling but keep playing and focus anyways - if anything I can focus more. Being up or down doesn't matter, what matters is I play as much as possible as well as possible.
      I will put in more volume, and learn to play through ups and downs and de-sanitize myself from them like I did with losing AIEV

WHEN I THINK ABOUT PLAYING A LONG DAY I'M AFRAID OF LOSING And having to stop so I don't commit to set hours.

If I commit to X amount of hours per day, It's only fair that I am afraid of fearing running badly and losing lots of money. Or having to play through the day after I win a lot and risk losing my gains.
      Also what if I don't feel good then have to play and stop liking poker?
      I have a huge stable winrate long term. If I keep playing well I WILL EVENTUALLY WIN. I can ALWAYS MOVE DOWN to increase my edge and lower pressure when I start losing.
      It's only irrational lack of confidence in my game, fear it's not good enough.

I set a goal for the day, and then play through that goal no matter what. When I really do run bad and play bad, I move down, I can use that opportunity to record flaws in my game, or not practice awareness. I am excited for playing, or for an opportunity to learn and focus on that, but mostly I know I will win eventually no matter how much I'm down because of my track record and the work I put in.

I will focus on the positives instead of fear, either win or increase my long run winrate

WHEN I'M LOSING I I snap choose call/bluff in close spots
      When I do win pots I calm down - suddenly can make folds, even big ones

MOOD ATTACHED TO RESULTS
      - when day starts bad, I feel bad for the rest of it

EXPECTING TO LOSE WHEN ALL-IN

I EXPECT TO LOSE when I'm all-in and get happy whenever I win: I THINK THIS IS GOOD
      AS LONG AS I'M NOT AFRAID TO GO ALL-IN it's a good approach as I'm preparing for the thing that hnas the largest emotional imact=Losing
      I don't have to prepare for winning.

SAME WITH VALUE BETTING - I EXPECT HIM TO HAVE IT, and if he does, fuck him I'M vbetting anyways

UNCERTAIN ABOUT MY LINE, BUT THOUGHT ABOUT IT FE turn out to be good in terms of result but lose anyways = tilt
      "I deserved to win, of course his dumb play wins. Like someone takes away my toy" I'm not 100% sure on my line I WANT it to be correct but I AM NOT CERTAIN - fear=>anger when I lose.

I made the effort, was uncertain if what I do is right but I REALLY wanted it to. Then I run into a hand in his range that happens to confirm my play => happy feeling. I really wanted that confirmation, I'm not sure if the result will be good next time. This one instance matters a lot.
      I am just fearful of being wrong - it's no different from other spots when I'm unsure what to do
      I didn't deserve to win, I just have to be happy with the right play, and accept that sometimes I will lose. If the reaction is strong I will review the hand after session
      If the reaction is strong I'm most likely fearful that my play wasn't correct, and was just attached to the result that confirmed my play = eithe raccepting the bad beat or lookign at the spot will maximise my EV long run
    • rewfrew
      rewfrew
      Bronze
      ZZzzz LemOn36,
      Really hated myself when i missed your first coaching. Especially because thats what i was looking for last 2Weeks, and i suggest a french coach to do a video on blinds.
      But at same time really happy, we gonna have a very good video coachings+ Q@A For free, for the people in need :f_biggrin: from a very very good coach.
      See you next coaching.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey there, we should have the video uploaded later on and notes are here so you're fine
      And yeah, in the live portion I focus more on how everyone can identify and work on a specific area, rather than the hard theory I've worked on - so if you want specific technical answers, you gotta come a long and ask ;p
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      This time you really pass the limit of what an incredible and genius mind can do ..

Just your face out of the dark ...

... WHOAOOO!!!! :f_drink: :f_drink: :f_drink:

That's ingeniously art!

Well very done Coach! :f_thumbsup:
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Okay guys
      Tonight 20:00 CET/GMT+1
      We'll talk about how you can work on your mental game and Tilt. And then we'll jump into a recording of a tilted session at NL16 Zoom I played to see how one can learn from mistakes and bad plays.

See you there!
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      Last night was a very helpful and useful coaching as the aim of the lesson was about the tilt or better the mental aspect of the game with a deep analysis of how the mental mindset may or may not have an impact on our sessions.

By following the Coach how he was dealing and face his sessions where some sort of tilt was going to deliberately influence his decisions made on the tables, its come out that the reactions of a professional player like our Coach may have the same thinking processing of any other player even less skilled then him but the results come out similar to mine and I believe to others.

The helps, in my case al least, come from to compare my reactions to tilts to the ones happen to the Coach, like, make wrong decisions, starting have doubt about yourself and the lose of focus that’s seems after all, to be commune to all the players.

So, from now on, when I have some downswing that seems never ends and I start have thoughts like, “Im not good enough to play poker”, “my game is crap”, I worth nothing as a poker player” or most important, the tendencies to lose focus and make mistakes on size bets, decisions and play some spots in a different way while a tilting aspect come in place, I will just starting telling myself to do not worry, to try to avoided such negative thoughts that often in the past have made doubt and negative thinking processing in my mind also like mistakes. :f_cool:

Thanks Coach and looks forward to the next lesson! :f_thumbsup:

P.S. Even if there is so much material and stuff that I have to recovery as Im a bit behind compare to the large amount of material made available by now by the Coach and other sources.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Thank you very much for nice feedback!

And yeah as you could see a lot of things that the guys have identified are more or less the same things I was working on (and will be working on - this never ends if you're an actual person!)

And when I bring a lot of these up (e.g. urge to open facebook/forums/youtube or masstable without focus when getting hammered in a session) with my poker friends most have similar urges, including those that play high stakes.

So there's no need to get angry for getting angry or losing, just put in the work just like you do with your actual betting strategy and you'll never be tiltless but you will tilt less*

Totally stole this from Tommy Angelo
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Episode3: ANAKIN, I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND! - IP PLAY VS AGGRESSOR
      I.E. how to play in MP-BTN when facing a preflop raise

Hand Histories
      IP VS PFR: 3Bet KQo, turn a straight draw
      IP VS PFR CO vs MP: 3Bet 45s, Turn sizing
      IP VS PFR: TT BUvCO, Call 4Bet
      IP vs PFR BUvCO Call A6s preflop
      IP vs PFR BUvMP nuts: turn jam?
      Video Notes
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/37692/
      1) We don't know GTO preflop strategy
      - There's is no solvers for preflop (simple postflop has very limited PF solver, very expensive, only in bb with preset betsizings)
      2) We do have to make assumptions about opening ranges
      Notewhat I've done in BB play with R, and should be straightforward vs CO-UTG where ranges wont wildly differ

Articles

Ranges
      Once again I've copied ranges from

These are close to what I'm using ingame. What e.g. Snowie is doing however is radically different, and the 3bets have 75-80% Bluff:Value ratio. Which is correct at smallstakes as people generally fold too much oop.

I'm trying to build ranges that I'm confident will work against unknowns and good players alike however, as I can always adjust to be more aggressive based on limit and variant I play and specific opponents.

Now the work begins to get those ranges

Of course I've copied all W34z3l's ranges into power equilab regardless to have a starting point, and if you do play NL5-NL25 I'd suggest you simply use them against the population and they should yield a good result for you

Note: If you do play micros NL5-NL25 you can just copy them from the excel sheet here
      And you'll do well though against average population.

R METHOD

Yeah okay, so there's no scientific approach that's correct
      so I go through R and since it's really hard to get the exact values - I simply anchored the values based on Snowie for the button, did lots of tweaks based on what feels right.

And then pegged all hands by 5% When I'm on the CO to allow for drop in equity when button squeezes
      And I added a further handicap for MP for CO squeeze

And now I have guesstimated preflop ranges just like in BB I can defend with

just need to figure out 3bet/flat/mixed strat for specific hands and preflop's solved!

R METHOD - Final ranges

Okay this took me about 8 hours total
      long onfusing convo with my friend who plays high stakes and others
      About 28 edits of the playability editor in Power Equilab
      20 Snowie Scenarios

But I've come up with preflop ranges, updated for 2016
      The whole shebang looks like this

And Red=always 3bet Orange=BLuff 3Bet
      Dark Blue = Mixed between 3bet and call
      Light blue=mixed between 3bet and fold

I think including mixed strategy for specific hands is a good idea even at microstakes - against good players that are giving me trouble I can use RNG to dedice when I 3bet and when I call, but at small and microstakes vs most opponents I can always skew those hands in the correct direction based on population reads and player specific adjustments

This is completely different from my approach before that was very close to W34Z3L, but it should be applicable for NL25 - NL50 population and vs good players alike. And the mixed hands force me to pay attention to people ingame if I don't want to use RNG.

Feels really great that I've put in the work - without remembering it and the logical reasons behind how I arrived at what I simply wouldn't apply it ingame as I wouldn't have faith in something I don't fully understand.

So even if the methods I used to arrive at the ranges may be utter bullshit, I am happy with the work regardless - preflop is not that important and having defaults, even if they're slightly off is just great overall for my game.

PT4
      God I'm so crap at this
      But finally got at the filter I'm looking for

Now just have to click by position and voilla - have hands I need to look at (and winrates)
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      Today, started a session, with sick-bag, totally smashed by walk in the ruin from the doctor and with very little energy to focus

All that ofc reflect on the session where I made a couple bad decision (fuel for my tilt) and few sucked out with the great result to be only small time in the session under 2 stacks and half

Usually, I will tilt and give up (generally) or go mad and try tilted to recovery the stacks lost ...

Today, different matter, at that point, when my latin blood was starting boiling and the steam was comming out my ears then, boom, the last night session

I didn't give up, I control the tilt focus on your lesson and without close the tables keeping going with the session

Great results, in terms of everything, so, one more

THANK YOU! :heart:

Sorry, Im not gay the heart is as friend's love, I mean, as a joy for gratitude ... Im also have anything against the gay and ... or for God sake, Im going starting mess-up the all matter ... :facepalm:

OK, I got, that's a Thank You with love! :s_thumbsup:
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Cool, make sure you do reflect on the session - ideally by writing down your tilted thought process during, right after, or recording yourself explain what you're thinking etc. so you can work on it later.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey guys
      We'll briefly go over what you can do to work on your play in position when facing a raise.
      Before jumping right into some microstakes Zoom action!

See you there!
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      And today we'll have one table NL5, NL10 and NL16 Zoom each
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      AA hand from today:

$0.02/$0.05Zoom No Limit Holdem
      PokerStars6 Players
      Stacks:
      UTG hsienko ($163.2BB) 163bb
      UTG+1 jochenfratz ($105.8BB) 106bb
      CO magus1618 ($108BB) 108bb
      BTN syki ($113.8BB) 114bb
      SB !tsOnlikeD.K ($111.8BB) 112bb
      BB Hero ($105BB) 105bb
      Pre-Flop: (1.4BB, 6 players) Hero is BB A:spade: A:diamond:

2 folds, magus1618 raises to 2.4BB, 2 folds, Hero raises to 8BB, magus1618 calls 5.6BB

Flop: J:spade: 4:diamond: 9:diamond: ($16.4BB, 2 players)
      Hero bets 7.8BB, magus1618 calls 7.8BB
      Turn: 7:club: ($32BB, 2)
      Hero bets 28BB, magus1618 calls 28BB
      River: K:heart: ($88BB, 2)
      Hero checks, magus1618 goes all-in 64.2BB, Hero folds
      Final Pot: $152.2BB
      magus1618 wins $148.6BB (net +$40.6BB)
      Hero lost $43.8BB
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      Please do not forget to post the hand of AA where you folded river :) thanks for coaching :)

update: I see you posted already
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Episode4: THE JEDI STRIKES BACK - PLAYING AGAINST 3BETS

Hand Discussions
      VS 3BET OOP BvB: KJo Turn Spot
      VS 3BET BUvSB vs Re-ios 56s
      VS 3BET COvsBU A9s Call
      VS 3BET MPvsCO QQ flatcall Turn+River sizing?
      Resource Notes
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/38064/

3BET
      BUvBB Minraise vs 7.5bb 3bet

Guess 12%
      DEFEND: 22+
      76s+ T8s+, QJs+,KJs+

D2 folds 45s 65s 75s 86s 97s
      AJo AQo KQo

D2 is super mega Offsuit Broadway heavy vs 16%, folds 97s 86s K6s
      Calls K9o

Defends 6% VS 6% 3bet (?!)
      Calls AQo, folds all SCs besides JTs QJs
      4 BET STRATEGY
      Top of folding range
      Adds top offsuit hands i.e. D2'd add 32 or even 48 combos of AXo KJo etc. to 4bet stack off hands
      note:people call a lot to 4bets these days, especially small ones and I want to build defaults against good or loose players as it's easy to own nits. 4betting hands like K9o, is not something I want to do.
      I like the mixed strategy approach with 4betting hands that are also +ev calls better as it's

D2 forgets to 3bet bluff enough as he tries to focus on wide enough calling range, same with 4betting vs 3bets
      that's why working off tables on defaults and ranges + focus specific sessions reasonings behind playing them and then drilling the new defaults in Single Area Focused sessions is so important. When tilt comes, when we focus on something else, when distracted with other tables...
      A well trained autopilot will do the reasonably good default thing no matter what.

ESTIMATED R
      D2 thinks IP we have close to 100% on all hands
      I still think this might be close BvB but it's 100% way too much vs 3bets

SIZINGS
      it's important to adjust vs sizings - we can call a lot wider vs smaller sizes

VS SQEEZES
      D2 Goes 4B/Fold against large sizings vs squeezes OOP
      just 4bets 25% of opening range, has 50% fold to ship (half of range is bluff)

DEFEND VS SMALL BLIND
      D2 would be tighter vs depolarized as opposed to polarized range

TEUNUSS NL1K

1) 3bets a bit smaller in the SB v BU as he 3bets linear range
      2) Folded 45s BUv MP 3X
      3) Flat KQs BUvUTG 3X, Call Squeeze
      4) Jams flop with megadraw Khi squeeze pot IP
      5) Cold 4Bet 19BB-7.5BB BB VS BU3Bet, CO raise
      5) Calls A2s-A5s CO vs 9BB SB
      6) 3B Pots: 3b or folds in SB 100 BB deep
      uses small sizings on boards where he bets most of his range. Then large size + overbet R on shove XXXK
      7) AK Q25r squeezed: Will barrel vs 3 ppl as he blocks Qx, AA KK 30% Flop 40% T 60% R
      8) Call 73s vs CO 2.19X
      9) Calls 22 COvSB, it's close tho

Ranges
      Odds

Okay so I've come up with defense ranges in the BU vs SB using Snowie ranges
      And reverse-engineered R

The thing now is that the calling range pretty wildly changes based on the range composition of the 3bettor
      So it'll be tough to come up with one single range to defend vs E.G. 9% BB 3bet as it can mean 2 completely different things for 2 different players and hands suddenly become -EV defends - the defense range looks a lot different vs someone who adds A2s-A5s, suited connectors and someone who doesn't

It's gonna be a tough nut to crack, I guess I'll have to come up with some sort of "meh" aggregated range for sub-optimally tight players
      and then learn to defend on case by case basis through running the scenario vs different people

SIZING AND PLAYING VS SIZINGS
      I realized while clicking on equities
      you can call Really wide IP vsa polarized ranges
      That's why TEUNUSS 3BETS BIGGER SIZE IN BB THAN IN SB

PT4 Filter

• LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Gentlemen!
      Tonight 20:00 CET/GMT+1 THE LAST EPISODE WILL AIR!
      We will wrap up the series with a short recap and tips for learning
      And then we'll briefly go over defending vs 3bets
      To play some Microstakes NL5-NL16 Zoom Action
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      Originally posted by LemOn36
      Gentlemen!
      We will wrap up the series with a short recap and tips for learning
      And then we'll briefly go over defending vs 3bets
      To play some Microstakes NL5-NL16 Zoom Action
      we can also discuss how to defend vs maniac 3bets.

Here I posted thread yesterday.
      playing vs maniac who 3bets a lot

(At the moment did not read the thread yet)
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Cool, will show the method I used to set up defend ranges on your example