Need advice on navigating the large field MTTs

• Zhuvyte
      Zhuvyte
      Bronze
      Hey,

I'm mainly a cash player at Stars, trying, as a lot are doing too, "climb out of the micros" :] Doing real well at NL10, not so well at NL25. Anyway, it's not about it. My playing schedule sometimes get irregular and I'm not putting so much volume at all (10-20k hands a month). So the way I choose to collect my RB is via buying tournament tickets - usually I make enough points to get 1-2 $10 worth tickets a week.

The question is - how do I maximize the value of them by selecting right MTTs to play? Most $10 MTTs on Stars attract massive fields (10-30k+ players) and I'm far from being sure that it's the best way to cash out my points (though I have a ~30% ITM rate now).

In other words - with large field I get the same theoretical possibility to be ITM as in small one, but my chances to finish in TOP3 are so small, that with such a volume (1-2 a week) it's very likely that it won't happen in 10years. Am I thinking correctly here?

What would be your advice in my situation regarding the MTT selection?
      Look for smaller field events? (I'd prefer having a decent chance at, say $3k prize instead of a very slim at $30)
      Save points and buy into more expensive MTTs? (But they're still quite large up there, even up to $50 buy-in. Plus I'm considering the increasing difficulty to play there too).
      Keep playing large events? (Hoping to make enough relatively easy ITMs, since the fields are very fishy, but basically giving up the hope of finishing in TOP3).

Thanks for the insights!
  • 5 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      I would always use my points for satellites, because than you can unregister for MTT’s as well and use the T$ for SNG’s for example or smaller buy-in tournaments. Then it’s more likely you get more money from your points like now. Off course you need to know how to play those satellites. Otherwise it works the other way around. Especially for the Sunday Storm are a lot of good StarsCoin satellites.

If this isn’t a option I would play maximum $11 tournaments, because on the higher limits the variance is also huge with indeed better players as well and the Sunday Storm is most likely the softest tournament of the week and so long you play mainly cash games it’s no problem than you don’t get fast a top 3 result, because you kill the variance with the cash games your playing.

Also is 30% of the time ITM a decent amount. The good MTT players will cash approximately 18% of the time on a huge sample. I don’t know how much games you played so far, but that could be something to work for as well to get faster at a final table or better as well.
      Maybe it’s also a good idea to check out the thread MTT Beginner Coaching: Discussion and feedback thread to improving your MTT play as well.

I expect this will help already a little bit, but if you have more questions don’t hesitate to ask them.

Best regards,
      SDK1987
    • RedHeater
      RedHeater
      Bronze
      I share some of the same issues, i.e. which MTTs to play. From my recent experience I would just say that if you are playing in different buy-in events, like one day a $5 buy in and another a $109 buy-in, you must adjust and play appropriately. the MTT coaching link given by SDK1987 is good at making adjustments to playing in micros, freerolls and so ons. Different strategies are needed at the higher stakes, from my limited experience.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      with the new point system on Stars, the points have the same value for tickets or for cash rewards ($0.01/ starcoin), if you collect 1k to 2k starcoins a week and are a CG player , you might as well collect the $25 reward for 2.5k points. Tickets were interesting when they were cheaper than cash rewards, now it's all the same :)
    • Zhuvyte
      Zhuvyte
      Bronze
      Yah, the new system kindda killed the fun :] But I think satellites mentioned is a very good option, I wasn't really considering them at all.

I took some time to really think through WHY I'm into MTTs at all. And it's not the very best possible returns on my points (I believe I get better hourly at NL25 cash). So it must be the desire to have a chance at that "big prize" one day (plus some variation in games to keep things interesting, but it's secondary motivation).

Today I'm describing "big prize" as $3k, so that's my plan - I'll throw in 2-3 of MTTs on Sundays in my playing schedule that have such a prize for finishing 1st.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      note that stars have added a $10 reward at the same rate (1000 star coin)