My New Years Resolution

• Joronamo
      Joronamo
      Bronze
      I started taking poker seriously about March of this year. I went overseas to where my cousin lives. He is also a poker player and is a very successful online player playing at FL $5/$10. He signed me up to Stars and gave me a $10 starting capital free. In a span of about 2 weeks i just played $1 SNG MTT/STT and built my BR to about $68. When I came back home I continued to play and I couldn't win anymore. My bankroll went back down to $40. My cousin emphasized that I don't touch cash games until I have $250. So I listened to him and just played $1 SNGs... nothing else. I graduated from high school in 07, but a friend of mine who was the year below had just recently dropped out. He was bored at home one day and randomly called me up for lunch. So we met at Subway and talked.

I then told him I just started playing on PokerStars and managed to turn $10 into $68 in 2 weeks. I told I started going on a losing streak as I returned home from overseas. He told me in 06 he also played on Stars and got his BR to $100 but then blew it for unknown reasons (this friend of mine has ADHD he just won't admit it so he gets bored easily and causes a lot of trouble - this is probably why he blew his BR). Anyway he came up with a scheme that I transfer him some money to get started and whatever we play we play we split all our winnings

For the next few months I did this and noticed I wasn’t getting anywhere and stopped. I noticed my game had dropped severely and was ignoring everything my cousin taught me which was to play TAA (tight and aggressive). I kept going broke and deposited about $20 every week for 2 months all because I let my ADHD friend get between me and my game. I eventually stopped hanging out with him in the tables for a while to try and resurrect my game. Note at this stage I was new to the game and didn't know about bankroll management or any other thing this site teaches. I just played or tried to play a TAA game like my cousin told me at $1 SNGs.

My cousin works for a site similar to this but called poker professor and told me to join get a $150 starting capital for Titan. I finally succumbed and signed up and got the $50 capital. Everything started out well and managed to build my BR to $130. Then after one bad beat to the other, I went broke due to poor BRM (which I didn't know at the time). While playing on Titan, an opponent told me about PS and referred me. I signed up and got my $50 capital on Full Tilt. I read the articles, most of which I already knew about due to professor, but i did learn some new things like BRM etc. I was doing really well on Full Tilt and unlocked the +$50 bonus pretty quickly and by playing NL $.10 I got my bankroll to $370. This was the best i have ever done on online poker and was starting to think maybe it is possible to win, whereas before I thought it was all rigged.

Subsequently, I realized I wasn't winning in NL $.10 anymore, one day I would make $10 and the next I would lose $10 hence getting nowhere. So I moved up to NL .25 which wasn't a bad idea considering I had $350+ and ended losing a fair bit of money. I then gave FL hold'em a go. After believing the myth that Limit hold’em has less money and less action, I would soon prove myself wrong. I realized the answer to my prayers and became addicted to FL hold’em. It was safer cause you couldn’t go all in, there was heaps more action because there are always good pot odds and as a result a lot more money than NL hold’em in my opinion. Because in NL you could sit there for hours on end and be card dead and not move, and then when you finally pick up AA everyone folds to your bet. With Limit this wasn’t the case.

I ended up moving straight to FL $1/$2 because the lower limits were too boring. Pots were too small in my opinion. So with bad BRM i played the $1/$2 level and my bankroll dropped from a comfortable $370 to $100. I then managed to play heads up and win it all back get back to $350. I then went back to 6max 1/2 and once again lost and went back down to $150. So as you would I did what i did last time because it seemed to work so i played heads up and this time the poker gods weren't so kind. I blew most of it and was down to $20. I was distraught. I told my family what happened - that I lost $US350 (which is about $AU600) and they told me I had a gambling problem. They are right i do, I have stolen to support my habit (in the earlier Stars days - remember the weekly $20 deposits) and I play to win back what I have lost.

There was some good news out of the end, since I generated so much rake I got a nice surprise on Friday night - $45 in rake back from PS, so my Full Tilt account is back to $65 which is comfortable. Moving on though, everyone told me to quit and just play socially with friends for fun in your weekly home game on Wednesday nights (which I pwn in btw). But I thought hmm wait a minute. Sure i could blame my losses on the sites being rigged, or just bad beat or suck out after the other. But there was one common element in all my ventures on each site. What made me lose was bad BRM. It’s simple, if you have good BRM you can withstand even the harshest of variance. I have four accounts a TAF/PS investment account with Party, a IAF/professor investment account with Titan, a PS account with Full Tilt and an indie account on Stars.

My news years resolution however is to make Stars my primary account because that’s where I started from and where my cousin plays. My goal is to play with him someday and make comfortable money in the FL tables. Although Stars has been cruel to me, I believe it was just bad BRM that caused it. So I have decided to make 2009 a clean slate and make my poker new years resolution a $200 deposit on Stars. With this $200, I not going to jump straight into the NL $.10, which I can, or the $3 SNGs, I am going to start at the micro stakes which is NL .2, FL $.2/$.4 and $1 SNGs. This way I will have a $150 margin from the recommended BRM model which is a BR of $50+ can move up to NL .5, FL $.10/$.20 and $3 SNGs. With this greater margin in my BRM, I really cannot see how I can go wrong. Sure I can go on tilt one day and blow it all again but this time i won't. Firstly, I am going to play less hours, and as PS says in the quiz, if I have a bad day, close the tables for a day instead of trying to win it back. I am going to try and grind it slowly but surely.

Sorry about writing this essay but I wanted to give you all a background of my career so it would make more sense to you and see what you all think. This is pretty much my online poker career in a nutshell and I am sure some players in this forum have had similar experiences as I have. Please comment and let me know if you agree or have a better solution as to depositing $200. Also feel free to share your experiences and how you have remedied them.
  • 10 replies
    • ehkayforty7
      ehkayforty7
      Bronze
      I hear ya man, my story is similar to yours.

Started playing online, had no BRM and went bust. Tried playing again, still had no BRM and went bust. And so on.

I have finally learned the importance of it though, and am now doing pretty well. This site has taught me plenty and BRM is definitely the most important part.

The $200 deposit sounds like a good plan. Sounds like you're a good player you just need to play safer, which is the problem I had for a while. You said it best, tighten up your game and play with a bankroll that no amount of variance can vanquish. That's the way to play my man.

Best of luck to you in the new year. :D
    • andrewkd
      andrewkd
      Bronze
      hey man, good luck with it all.

it takes a lot to realise you have a problem, even more to tell people.

From my experience, which isn't a hell of a lot, the lower limits may be boring, but you need to grind it out. It is a great place to learn patience. Sure, it happens to me a lot, you finally pick up a big hand, everyone folds to you, but you will pick up medium pots. Play TAA, but remember, if it ain't going your way, fold. i would rather loose a little than chase the almost immpossible, even though everyone seems to do it to me!!!

But like i said, grind it out, good luck with it.
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hi there.
      First of all, dont be sorry about writing here.It helps you, and it is good.
      I also suggest you to start a poker blog, so you can really track your progress, have clear goals,and let others know about it.
      Finally, I would suggest you choose a game.At first I was playing randomly SSS,BSS,SNGs,FL . But you actually have to pick a game and become good at it,and its not very wise to mix them up in the start.
      Good luck and have a nice new year!
    • Joronamo
      Joronamo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by darkonebgI also suggest you to start a poker blog, so you can really track your progress, have clear goals,and let others know about it.
      Hi darkone,

Where/how/why should i post a poker blog? Also, I use poker tracker for my stats and made an excel spreadsheet to cover my entire poker (live/online).

Cheers,
      Joronamo
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      hi Joronamo :)

here's the place to start with blog: PokerStrategy Poker Forum » Poker Forums » Your Poker Blogs

I agree with darkonebg, blog is good idea, because this way you can get great feedback during the worst times (huge downswing can happen with strong BRM too) and it cause you to play with a bit more responsibility, when you report your daily progress.

Why will you deposit $200? It'll only tempt you to play higher than you should.. Make some small deposit (50-100) and choose limit according to that amount:
      0.1/0.2 FR with 60-100
      0.05/0.1 FR with 50-60

btw: I wouldn't suggest you to play SH, because it can be much more swingy. It's your new beginning, so begin like the most of us: FR -> SH

(it all applies to fixed limit of course / for NL BRM look at the articles ;) ; you should choose only one type of game as darkonebg already said)
    • Joronamo
      Joronamo
      Bronze
      Hi Opal

Firstly what does FR and SH stand for? Also, I wanted to deposit $200 instead of $50 because if i have a bad down swing, with $50 i can be close to going broke whereas with $200, even with a huge downswing in micro limits I will still have a lot of money left. I guess its all mental. If i deposit $50 and have a bad run i will start to panic with $8 left and then do something stupid and then have to re-deposit anyway. Tell me what you think. I will have a look at the blog idea too.
    • andrewkd
      andrewkd
      Bronze
      FR = Full Ring
      SH = Short Handed
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      FR = full ring (table with 9 or 10 seats)
      SH = shorthanded (table with 5 or 6 seats)

You should reread all articles before you restart your journey and look at BRM articles again.. It's said you need 300 BB for FR and 500 BB for SH (at least $60 to play 0.1/0.2 FR and $100 to play shorthanded), but you can have any higher amount if you feel you need it...

Fro the beginning, I'd suggest you to not start with more than 500 BB to play FR, because you'll have more money than neccessary what can cause onle the problems ;)
      So, deposit $100 and play 0.1/0.2 full ring (if you want to play limit holdem) - that's what I'd do.

But what's important, set up some rules to moving up & down:
      If you want solid BRM with, let's say, 500 BB, always move up with at least 500BB (e.g. with $150 from 0.1/0.2 to 0.15/0.30) and don't take even a single shot with anything lower..

You can choose any BRM style you want, but always stick to the chosed one!

about $200: As I said before, I don't think it's neccessary, because the more you deposit, the more you risk... If you really want to become good player, there's no difference if you start on 0.1/0.2 or 0.5/1 as you have to learn the same things (and those weeks you spend on lower limits won't hurt you in any way).

Good luck!
    • Purity
      Purity
      Gold
      Greetings,

I think deposting 200$ is to much, if u really truly mean what u say and want to grind it out slowly but surely and steadily and improve ur skills along the way starting from the lowest limits then u don't need 200$. The 200$ will only make ur gamblin problems come over the top again eventually ( I think ).

Oh yes, and write down on a piece of paper : I will not play heads-up. And put it next to your pc :) . I had a similar problem like yours, where I wanted to make up for losses in cashgames due to badbeats with heads-up SnG. Though there are so many bad players in it and heads-up can be really profitable it is also something with extreme high variance and if ur ''making up for losses'' ur usually not sticking to BRM and playing heads-up games way to high for your bankroll, atleast thats what I kept doing. Eventually instead of recovering my losses I ended up losing more and more of my bankroll and it took my a while to restrain myself from doing it. When I get several suck outs in cashgames I got this piece of paper telling me not go and join insane high heads-up SnG to try to recover my money in a blink of an eye. It sounds stupid but it actually worked, now I don't need it anymore but it sure saved me alot of money. I don't go ''gamble'' anymore on those high limits, I just grind it out and guess what it's a hell lot more fun.
    • Joronamo
      Joronamo
      Bronze
      Hey Purity,

Yeah I agree heads up is deadly unless you have the funds. Although I played heads up cash games not SNG. Another issue is, Full Tilt doesnt have micro stakes which is really stupid. There lowest NL is .10 and FL is 25/50 which is ridicolous. There SNG have micro stakes but yeah when i first joined with my $50 starting capital, I was basically forced to play with bad BRM but luckily it worked out for me until a few months later. Just wondering, does anyone know any good places to post referral links? If so join this thread and post your answers. Also I made a new blog so check it out.