This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Any articles on coping with huge (improbable) downswings?

• redvel
      redvel
      Bronze
      Hi all,

First of all i'm new here, but i've been playing poker for a few years already. I can play pretty solid SH poker at micro to low stakes.

Anyway, i've just received my $50 here on ps.com and i honestly don't want to ruin it. Every single time i had any winnings i either lost it or withdrew to save myself from humiliation.

The problem is not that i don't play good, instead i just can't deal with bad streaks. I've learned to shut my mouth and play solid poker after losing 5 buyins, but whenever it becomes like 10 or 15 full buyins lost in a couple of hours - i just give up and start making mistakes. As i told, i play pretty good and i allow myself things like going SOMETIMES allin on flop while holding TPTK if i know the opponent has TP no kicker, or a lower pair. I review these hands and i see i make the correct reads like 9 times out of 10 (and the other time i just get into some weird played JJ quads or similar :D ). But generally i'm ahead whenever i put my money on the table. Nevertheless, i lose it... up to 15 times IN A ROW. *Every three days* or so..

This all sounds like a whine here, but i need advice from someone who has felt it the same way and learned to cope with it.

PS. Just a by the way question, is there any possibility i could record a playing session of mine and then share the video somehow so maybe someone would be willing to review it?
  • 3 replies
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hi there and wellcome to the site.
      No, it doesnt sound like whining.Its a pretty normal reaction, but never the less, things like this happen and you have to deal with it.
      Check out the latest PS psychology articles, establishing a stop-loss limit can be helpful.
      It will be great if you record a video of yourself playing,I can review it myself if you want me to, and Im sure many others will have a look.
      Good luck at the tables
    • redvel
      redvel
      Bronze
      Thanks for a quick reply.

I played just a few hands of 2NL today to get my feet wet, and it's going ok for now. I think i'll record a video after i experience some bad time, because i've done the recordings before (just to replay it for myself) and i've noticed it makes me show the best poker i can. So this may be a good motivation for getting back into good shape after bad streaks ;-)

And i'm going to read the article you mentioned.

Have some nice holidays all! :-)
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      Incidentally I've just come across this nice article on 2+2 mag, which you might find helpful: http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/issue48/al-neipris-poker-life.php