Any articles on coping with huge (improbable) downswings?

• redvel
      redvel
      Bronze
      Hi all,

First of all i'm new here, but i've been playing poker for a few years already. I can play pretty solid SH poker at micro to low stakes.

Anyway, i've just received my $50 here on ps.com and i honestly don't want to ruin it. Every single time i had any winnings i either lost it or withdrew to save myself from humiliation.

The problem is not that i don't play good, instead i just can't deal with bad streaks. I've learned to shut my mouth and play solid poker after losing 5 buyins, but whenever it becomes like 10 or 15 full buyins lost in a couple of hours - i just give up and start making mistakes. As i told, i play pretty good and i allow myself things like going SOMETIMES allin on flop while holding TPTK if i know the opponent has TP no kicker, or a lower pair. I review these hands and i see i make the correct reads like 9 times out of 10 (and the other time i just get into some weird played JJ quads or similar :D ). But generally i'm ahead whenever i put my money on the table. Nevertheless, i lose it... up to 15 times IN A ROW. *Every three days* or so..

This all sounds like a whine here, but i need advice from someone who has felt it the same way and learned to cope with it.

PS. Just a by the way question, is there any possibility i could record a playing session of mine and then share the video somehow so maybe someone would be willing to review it?
  • 3 replies
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hi there and wellcome to the site.
      No, it doesnt sound like whining.Its a pretty normal reaction, but never the less, things like this happen and you have to deal with it.
      Check out the latest PS psychology articles, establishing a stop-loss limit can be helpful.
      It will be great if you record a video of yourself playing,I can review it myself if you want me to, and Im sure many others will have a look.
      Good luck at the tables
    • redvel
      redvel
      Bronze
      Thanks for a quick reply.

I played just a few hands of 2NL today to get my feet wet, and it's going ok for now. I think i'll record a video after i experience some bad time, because i've done the recordings before (just to replay it for myself) and i've noticed it makes me show the best poker i can. So this may be a good motivation for getting back into good shape after bad streaks ;-)

And i'm going to read the article you mentioned.

Have some nice holidays all! :-)
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      Incidentally I've just come across this nice article on 2+2 mag, which you might find helpful: http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/issue48/al-neipris-poker-life.php