Frequency of playable hands

• FarNorth
      FarNorth
      Bronze
      First post - I started playing play money for a while, then decided to try FL in Vegas on a holiday and did OK. Now I'm hooked. Took out an acct online and was slowly losing my bankroll, then I found Pokerstrategy which has helped quite a lot. I'm not losing any more, but I'm not winning a lot either. I haven't started posing hands yet but intend to shortly.

Now my question - if one were following the starting hand chart religiously - what percentage of dealt hands would one see flop on? I believe I am following the chart pretty closely, but I admit I don't have it memorized and make some mistakes sometimes because of the time constraints. I guess I could calculate this myself but I thought someone must know it already.

Cheers.
  • 3 replies
    • One12ver
      One12ver
      Bronze
      15-20% Normal +5/-5 depending on active or dead session. This on a FR table.
    • Calron
      Calron
      Bronze
      Yea those numbers are about right, at least from my experience. Most poker platforms will have a stats page that will tell you this information, however. It can get quite boring sometimes, you could go for 20-30 hands without getting a playable hand. But I've also had cases where I've gotten 3 strong/premium hands in a row.

Just try to stay patient and make sure you're following the chart correctly. If you get bored try to study your opponents' playing styles, it will give you something to do. If you find that you're getting tired don't be afraid to take a break though.
    • FarNorth
      FarNorth
      Bronze
      Thanks very much for the replies. When I started out online I was normally playing >40% of my hands. After reading the Pokerstrategy bronze articles I reduced that to about 18% to 24%. I believe this immediately stopped most of my losses.

I don't know how many times I've read that patience is key - but man that seems hard to consistently put into practice.

Cheers