Attitude and Approach

• NothingIsForSho
      NothingIsForSho
      Bronze
      Hi,

This is a new blog I'm starting to keep track of my mental game over the coming months. I feel that when it comes to poker, technical skill is something almost any reasonably smart person can master, especially in the age we live in.

However what I have struggled with for a long time is having a good attitude to the game. There are many approaches a person can take to the way they play poker and many different types of goals. Do I want to increase my skill? Do I want to make money? Do I want to have fun building a large database and doing analysis in order play better at the specific game that I play in? Do I want to try to exploit my opponents to the fullest or play GTO? Do I care more about my hourly or more about playing well and improving my game? What play style can I use which minimises overall tilt and frustration?

The object of this blog is to find a good approach for myself and to keep track of my mental state as I continue to play, and hopefully learn what the best approach is for me.

I don't have any bankroll challenges or specific goals that I will set for myself. Only the one which is to find the correct attitude towards playing to the point where I can play and have confidence in myself that I'm not going to tilt because I know I'm taking a very good approach to the game. And I truly think this will be a difficult task, and one far more important than any bankroll goal.
  • 1 reply
    • NothingIsForSho
      NothingIsForSho
      Bronze
      Today I have to once again question how I approach the game as I feel devastated by my latest session. Currently I am taking a very slow approach to the game, thinking on each decision carefully so as to not make any mistakes, and playing as correctly as I can.

However this did not go well for my mental game. I got myself into a high pressure situation in a 3bet pot SB vs BTN and lost the hand, and then a very big fish on one of my tables started to go all in every hand. Because I had been playing conservatively, thinking on each decision, my AA received no action after I open raised, and the player ended up open shoving / 3bet shoving every single hand before and afterwards until he went broke.

Ending up break even for the session, I feel as though I am the only one when I play who is not allowed to make mistakes, and that even by not thinking about any decision my opponents will never be punished for bad play. I feel as though I am constantly being put into high pressure situations and haven't any room to make mistakes.

If I start to play fast an impulsively as my opponents do, I would of course find a lot more action for my strong hands, but at the same time I would be more liable to make heavy mistakes, and it plays too much on my psychology to be thinking of such things when all I want to do is to try and play well. I am not someone who can easily try to use meta game or play faster to get more action and improve my hourly / general win rate.

All I can do is practice and study as much as I can, and be proud of myself for never collapsing no matter how much I feel the pressure to make the correct decision at the tables. But when I see how others so easily win in their sleep it makes me think that I could improve my hourly and remove my tilt if I just found the most effective way to approach the tables.

I will make it my goal to watch more live session videos and try to get a grasp on how a good poker player thinks.

"Techniques sure, but what about how to think like a soldier?"