This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Attitude and Approach

• NothingIsForSho
      NothingIsForSho
      Bronze
      Hi,

This is a new blog I'm starting to keep track of my mental game over the coming months. I feel that when it comes to poker, technical skill is something almost any reasonably smart person can master, especially in the age we live in.

However what I have struggled with for a long time is having a good attitude to the game. There are many approaches a person can take to the way they play poker and many different types of goals. Do I want to increase my skill? Do I want to make money? Do I want to have fun building a large database and doing analysis in order play better at the specific game that I play in? Do I want to try to exploit my opponents to the fullest or play GTO? Do I care more about my hourly or more about playing well and improving my game? What play style can I use which minimises overall tilt and frustration?

The object of this blog is to find a good approach for myself and to keep track of my mental state as I continue to play, and hopefully learn what the best approach is for me.

I don't have any bankroll challenges or specific goals that I will set for myself. Only the one which is to find the correct attitude towards playing to the point where I can play and have confidence in myself that I'm not going to tilt because I know I'm taking a very good approach to the game. And I truly think this will be a difficult task, and one far more important than any bankroll goal.
  • 1 reply
    • NothingIsForSho
      NothingIsForSho
      Bronze
      Today I have to once again question how I approach the game as I feel devastated by my latest session. Currently I am taking a very slow approach to the game, thinking on each decision carefully so as to not make any mistakes, and playing as correctly as I can.

However this did not go well for my mental game. I got myself into a high pressure situation in a 3bet pot SB vs BTN and lost the hand, and then a very big fish on one of my tables started to go all in every hand. Because I had been playing conservatively, thinking on each decision, my AA received no action after I open raised, and the player ended up open shoving / 3bet shoving every single hand before and afterwards until he went broke.

Ending up break even for the session, I feel as though I am the only one when I play who is not allowed to make mistakes, and that even by not thinking about any decision my opponents will never be punished for bad play. I feel as though I am constantly being put into high pressure situations and haven't any room to make mistakes.

If I start to play fast an impulsively as my opponents do, I would of course find a lot more action for my strong hands, but at the same time I would be more liable to make heavy mistakes, and it plays too much on my psychology to be thinking of such things when all I want to do is to try and play well. I am not someone who can easily try to use meta game or play faster to get more action and improve my hourly / general win rate.

All I can do is practice and study as much as I can, and be proud of myself for never collapsing no matter how much I feel the pressure to make the correct decision at the tables. But when I see how others so easily win in their sleep it makes me think that I could improve my hourly and remove my tilt if I just found the most effective way to approach the tables.

I will make it my goal to watch more live session videos and try to get a grasp on how a good poker player thinks.

"Techniques sure, but what about how to think like a soldier?"