How do you balance volume and table selection? (question for fr/6max regs)

• Suboptimal88
      Suboptimal88
      Bronze
      So how are you doing it? lets say you want to play some volume right now but you cant find any fish , what are you doing then?

1. do you open tables with other regs and grind some small wr assuming they are bad?

2. do you simply avoid to play and you search the lobby all day until you find a fish?

3. do you open tables with regs and search the lobby for fish at the same time?

4. do you have special numbers on easy seat and it always sit you at good tables and you simply leave when they become bad?

5. do you sit with regs and play x volume then retry to search the lobby?

Well , i really hate table selection , when i want to play poker i dont like to wait , i want to play right now and complete all my volume without extended waiting , i hate to wait too much and i hate spam searching the lobby , i can do it once but if i do it a lot then i get sick and if i get sick my psychology goes down.

Playing against fish is what this game is about , it would be fun if the format was hu because the volume you can put is insane but its too boring when it comes to fr/6max.

Anyway , any thoughts?
  • 6 replies
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Let's say you are playing 8 tables. Open your 8 - no need to be too picky - and play for a bit.

After 15 minutes you should have a developing read that tells you if you have found some suckers. On tables with no obvious suckers, open a new table, then sit them out and replace them.

Just keep cycling out tables with no suckers and replace them with new tables.

In the PS micros there is going to be a passive at one table in three and a maniac at about the same (completely unscientific figures based on nothing more than observational bias).

You COULD pay for a service like tabletracker, if you had a massive hand database, but it's a waste of money unless you have ground your limit for months and basically have mature stats (like 5000+ hands) on nearly everyone.

Ultimately you'll get better results out of using notes and markers to flag idiots (I like green outline on stars) and dangerous players (for me, red). Then you can just click through tables and waitlist any that have green guys on them, and it wont cost you $15 a month :)
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      markers

aslo what I do:

find 1 table with fish on the right. And open 2 zoom tables. If I do not find 1 table with fish on right in half an hour (like I find but they leave and reg sits), then I continue playing zoom.

I think there is no point in playing random tables and not playing zoom. Because zoom is random but you get more volume, can sitout easily if too much action. ( I hope you do not loose part of your free cards when you sitout in zoom as if you would sitout in regular table not waiting till blinds)
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Silver
      Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c
      ( I hope you do not loose part of your free cards when you sitout in zoom as if you would sitout in regular table not waiting till blinds)
      Unfortunately, you do if you sit out right away.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      I'd just mix in stakes (lower + higher, be spread out on 2-3 limits), fast fold poker etc.
      start tables, play regs sitting down to start tables

I think it's a must at smaller sites
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Gold
      Ideally, decisions should be made on a per-table basis. If you think adding a certain table (or replacing one of your ongoing tables with a new one) will increase your hourly/monthly post-rakeback $EV, then do it. The framework is as simple as that. Mind that adding a table affects your focus negatively and decreases your winrate per table, so the table to be added has to be good enough (at least potentially, e.g. in the case of table starting). If you think that a table is harming your overall EV (is too reg-infested and/or takes away to much focus), then sit out of it.
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Gold
      Originally posted by Jaissica
      In the PS micros there is going to be a passive at one table in three and a maniac at about the same (completely unscientific figures based on nothing more than observational bias).
      If as many as 1/3 of 6-max tables at Stars are 6-reg :f_eek: and most of the rest are 5-reg, then why don't you switch to other sites or Spins or MTTs? :f_confused: