He had $1.9 in CO, the guy UTG had $5

My friend is holding AK

Villain raises 0.4

He reraises 0.9

Villain calls

flop is Q47 rainbow

Villain goes all in

Friend folds.

I argue that he should have shoved pf. he keeps saying that since villain possibly had QK, AQ he played it right and i would have lost money while he saved .90

Could you please clear this up?

Thanks

ps. he is new to pokerstrategy and he thinks that "what the book says" should not be always followed like we are sheep. is he right here?
  • 2 replies
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      no he is not. raising 0.9 gives villian pretty good odds to call with anything he had and raising more commit him to the pot. push is the way to go :)
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hello Excelgeo,

A minReRaise is a fishy move and should be avoided at all cost because it negates: 1) a Good value raise with AK, 2) gives your opponent way too good odds to call with worser hands than you expect.

As played, I would even go all-in postflop, this guy has a 50bb stack.. but as Alejandrosh said: Push it pre-flop for maximize value in the long term.

ps. he is new to pokerstrategy and he thinks that "what the book says" should not be always followed like we are sheep. is he right here?
      He is right if he wants to go broke :) So no is he not right unless otherwise instructed by coaches during the coachings

Merry Christmas,
      Gerv