SNG/MTT Opening Ranges

• RedHeater
      RedHeater
      Silver
      I have been looking at default open (raising) ranges for SNGs and MTTs. I know we need to adapt to the situation, the type of villain and so on, but its good to have a default to fall back on, and something to adjust from. I have two questions:

(1) Will the same ranges do for the start of an MTT to the start of a single table tournament? If not, why not?

(2) The ranges given in the theory articles here for SNGs seem somewhat loose compared to what I have read elsewhere. For example, UTG at the start of an SNG A8o is recommended. This compares to AJo recommended in the 'Beginners MTT' course. Zerosum in his SNG book from a few years ago recommends AKo as the weekest offsuit ace to play at the beginning of an SNG. So I wondered what people think of these looser ranges. Is that the way things are going now, or do SNG grinders prefer to keep things a little tighter to begin with?
  • 1 reply
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      (1) Will the same ranges do for the start of an MTT to the start of a single table tournament? If not, why not?
      I would open tighter in a STT than in a MTT, because at a STT you need to count ICM (Independent Chip Model) in every decision and in a MTT you start based on Cev (Chips expected value).

(2) The ranges given in the theory articles here for SNGs seem somewhat loose compared to what I have read elsewhere. For example, UTG at the start of an SNG A8o is recommended. This compares to AJo recommended in the 'Beginners MTT' course. Zerosum in his SNG book from a few years ago recommends AKo as the weekest offsuit ace to play at the beginning of an SNG. So I wondered what people think of these looser ranges. Is that the way things are going now, or do SNG grinders prefer to keep things a little tighter to begin with?
      Problem with ranges you use for SNG’s is that every SNG is different. So you need to adjust your ranges based on the SNG you playing. So I would start with the 45+ SNG’s pretty much the same as a MTT. Off course the end phase is completely different per SNG as well. Thanks to the different paid out structures.

An other problem with the book of Zerosum (newer read it) that he most likely not count antes at the beginning at the SNG. So you need to play tighter if you start without antes and looser if there are antes in play. So if you play the 9 mans at PokerStars you need to play a little bit looser than Zerosum suggest in his book.

I expect this clears thinks up a little bit, but if you have more questions don’t hesitate to ask them.

Cheers,
      SDK1987