This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

The Greatest Dane

• Malendes
      Malendes
      Bronze
      Hello everyone!
      As the title suggests, I am from Denmark. Being a Dane, I believe it is my duty to take over and carry on the torch, after the fall of a true warrior and leader of Danish poker, the man, the myth, the legend: Gus Hansen (where the f*** is he? :deadhappy: ).

‘Why were there more people into poker in 2003?’
      ‘I won a couple of tournaments and everybody saw even idiots can win tournaments. That’s what happened’ – Gus Hansen, The Great Dane
      When I turned 18, two years ago, I began playing and studying poker frequently. Even though I love the game and the competition in MTTs, I tend to lose my motivation. Right now I have been playing almost on a daily basis the last 3 months, and one of my main goals with this blog, is to keep focused and motivated about my game.

‘Malendes, how will you continue the legacy of Danish poker?’ – by crushing some of the most prestigious and phenomenal poker games; micro stakes Hold’em MTTs and Badugi cash games.

My main goal is to stay motivated and continue my volume in MTTs – around 150 MTTs per month, 2-tabling at PokerStars. Besides that I would like to double my bankroll during the next 3 months. DONE

After finishing my goal on doubling my BR in 3 months (from 1.15k to 2.3k), I guess I will dream bigger now :f_p:

New goals:

:spade: $10.000 Bankroll by the end of 2016 - Starting BR (after a withdraw from last challenge): $2.880
      :heart: Study. Keep discussing hands, watch videos and get HH review and potential coaching
      :diamond: Volume. Get SilverStar on PokerStars (500 VPPs monthly)
      :club: Sunday Million 10A. Play my A-game in the Sunday Million 10A

And the most important: stay focused and motivated - enjoy poker :f_love:
      Graph starting at 8th February 2016:
      [/quote]

Starting bankroll and MTT schedule:
      Bankroll: $1.150

Daily MTT schedule:
      Bounty Builders, Progressive Super-Knockouts and Zooms

Weekends:
      Sunday Mini-Million, Sunday Storm, The Big, The Hot, Bounty Builders, Progressive Super-Knockouts, Zooms
  • 87 replies
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Bronze
      Day 1

I had no enormous cashes, but I ran deep in 2 out of four of my tournies and overall very pleased with my game at the moment :f_love:

$3.30 2.5k$ GTD - 12th/1.031 runners, $32.47 cash
      $3.30 2.5k$ GTD - 45th/1.036 runners, $9.94 cash

I certainly need to work on my late game, usually I get way too spicy when the MTTs are down to 3 tables. :f_frown:
      Probably going to look into some late game strategy and maybe start playing some SNGs to get more experienced playing tournaments with few players left.

Clonie Gowen: 'I have an above average hand'
      Gus Hansen, Poker After Dark: 'I have something that is above average too - but we don't talk about it here'
    • vonki
      vonki
      Bronze
      Ah, GL to you! Def interested in following another MTT blog! :) and ofc, will support as a fellow scandinavian! :f_thumbsup:
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vonki
      Ah, GL to you! Def interested in following another MTT blog! :) and ofc, will support as a fellow scandinavian! :f_thumbsup:
      Thanks Vonki, always good with some fellow Scandinavian poker players :f_love:
    • rompas
      rompas
      oh the new Gus have arrived :f_cool: , good luck from me also, as i am Swedish i will also follow you :f_thumbsup:
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Bronze
      Day 2, 3 and 4

My volume the first couple of days have been poor, but my motivation and results are doing very well. So far I only played 13 tournies the last 4 days, but min. cashed a few and got one final table :f_love:

Probably the first FT in my career where I have been the favorite going in to the last 9 man in a MTT. Even with very little experience at late game MTT, I felt like Phil Ivey against the rest of the final-9 - with some of them never cashing for more than $50. I didn't managed to ship it though, but all in all i'm pleased with my 6th place.

$4.40 Progressive Super-Knockout 18k$ GTD - 6th, $490,81 (cash + KOs)

Starting bankroll: $1.150
      Current bankroll: $1.653

Some hands from the last few days:
      $4.40 PSKO - JJ fold pre?
      $3.30 - KK on Ace turn
      $3.30 - A6 Defend blind vs Big Stack

Originally posted by rompas
      oh the new Gus have arrived :f_cool: , good luck from me also, as i am Swedish i will also follow you :f_thumbsup:
      All the swedes arriving :f_love: hejsan Sverige

No update without some golden Gus quotes...

Knocked out of the 2013 WSOP Main event, Gus be like....

Gus Hansen: "People always think that I am crazy and going all in with J4 off suited"

"So you got it in with the best hand?"

Gus Hansen: "No, I had 94 off."
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Bronze
      Day 5 - 8

I didn't have much time to play poker this weekend :f_frown:

I decided to go back to the NLHE cash tables for one day though, because of Pokerstars promotion: the Silver and Gold Challenges.

Usually I am a losing player at NL5, but because of the promotion (I assume) the NL10 tables were really soft yesterday, so I ended up winning: $33,12 + $5 and a ticket in rewards for completing the challenges :f_thumbsup:

Current bankroll: $1.692

Lets wrap it up with a classic Gus Hansen moment. Gus fired at the end of the video @4:55 :f_love:

• Malendes
      Malendes
      Bronze
      Week 2

Just had around 10 days away from poker... great start to my blog :f_p:

Atleast I am motivated to play a lot now and yesterday I played 11 MTTs running deep in two of them.

$3.30 2.5k$ GTD - 6th/1.042 runners, $126.29 cash
      $2.20 Zoom 3k$ GTD - 11th/1.830 runners, $28.54 cash

Graph so far:

Current bankroll: $1.807

The Great Dane showing Phil Ivey who is the best :fouet:
    • vonki
      vonki
      Bronze
      Sweet start, congratz! :f_thumbsup:
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Bronze
      Week 3

Originally posted by vonki
      Sweet start, congratz! :f_thumbsup:
      Thanks. And yeah, I am quite pleased with my poker so far this year. So far I have been running deep in many MTTs, sadly I tend to get out of hand, going in to the last 3-4 tables in the tours :f_frown:

I am going to start studying harder on my game and for the first time I ordered help from a pro :f_cool: Starting with HH reviews and looking for some coaching soon - hopefully that can help me improve my lategame play so I can take those MTTs down, instead of busting when reaching top 20-25.

Yesterday summed it up when I ran deep in two MTTs again, but busted just before the payouts got really fun :pcuser:

The Big $4.40, $12K GTD - 29th/3.892 runners, $35.02 cash
      $5.50 NL Hold'em [2R1A], $3K GTD - 31th/240 runners, $22.15 cash

Current bankroll: $1.866
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Bronze
      Week 4

Been a pretty quiet last few days for my poker tournies. Pretty much been busting everyone, min cashing a few and then finally one deep run getting me back to back even over the last 4-5 days.

$2.20 Zoom 3k$ GTD - 6th/1.613 runners, $120.97 cash

I finally started to invest in my poker game, and so far ordered my first HH review - pretty excited about it, hopefully I can learn a lot from it. And I also got Silver status on PokerStrategy :f_love:
      After my HH reviews, I will probably try to find a coach :f_cool: Anyone of you who know a (not too expensive) micro-low stakes MTT coach that you would recommend?

Current bankroll: $1.890

Going to wrap it up with a bad joke :f_ugly:

My blonde 19 year old next door neighbor has just asked me if I know about missing items from her washing line.

I nearly shit her pants
    • vonki
      vonki
      Bronze
      Unf I am not that familiar with MTT and MTT material/coaches but you can always check out the private coaching section! :f_grin:
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Bronze
      Currently sitting on 1st place with 15 players left in the Bounty Builder $5,50 (Saturday Special).
      Already locked up $435 from bounties + current payout, making it one of my best results :f_drink:
    • rompas
      rompas
      Well done sir if i am right i see you won it :f_drink:
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Bronze
      Week 5

Been playing quite a lot of poker this week. Yesterday I cashed in 6 out of 13 MTTs without hitting any significant runs and busted on quite a few bad beats. Pretty sure I was just saving my run good for today where I won the $5,50 Bounty Builder :f_love: Took down 2,6k$ which is by far my best result so far. All in all it was a pretty weird tourny and due to the massive bounties and the relative small payouts, I played the tourny completely different then I usually play. Normally I got around 20 VPIP, but in the Bounty Builder I saw 43% of the flops, meaning my VPIP probably were around 50 (which somehow did that I won :f_ugly: ).

I have also been grinding the 10A Sunday Million sats, without getting a ticket :f_frown: If I dont sat my way in, I will just forget about my BRM for one day and buyin directly :f_p:

$5.50 Bounty Builder [Saturday Special] - 1st/6.421 runners, $2.597,32 cash

This also mean that I completed one of my goals:
      Originally posted by Malendes
      Besides that I would like to double my bankroll during the next 3 months.
      Current bankroll: $4.380 :f_love:

• Malendes
      Malendes
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rompas
      Well done sir if i am right i see you won it :f_drink:
      Ty very much :f_drink:
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Well done sir with winning the tournament :f_thumbsup:
    • 49Allex94
      49Allex94
      Bronze
      Congratz!!!How you improve the game to the last 3/4 tables?
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Bronze
      Update - New Goals

After finishing my goal on doubling my BR in 3 months (from 1.15k to 2.3k), I guess I will dream bigger now :f_p:

New goals:

:spade: $10.000 Bankroll by the end of 2016 - Starting BR (after a withdraw from last challenge): $2.880
      :heart: Study. Keep discussing hands, watch videos and get HH review and potential coaching
      :diamond: Volume. Get SilverStar on PokerStars (500 VPPs monthly)
      :club: Sunday Million 10A. Play my A-game in the Sunday Million 10A

And the most important: stay focused and motivated - enjoy poker :f_love:

Originally posted by SDK1987
      Well done sir with winning the tournament :f_thumbsup:
      Originally posted by 49Allex94
      Congratz!!!How you improve the game to the last 3/4 tables?
      Thanks guys :f_love: To be honest I dont think I can compare my usually tournies with the one I just won - so I really dont know if I have improved my late game (last 3/4 tables) much. Usually I bust tournies because I get way too fancy when I going into lategame, but I think that might have been the reason why I won the Bounty Builder (being extremely aggro to win as many bounties as possible). With 75% of the prizemoney being dealt in bounties, the actual payouts and payjumps lost alot of its value, making it alright that I was being fancy and extremely aggro, playing around half of my 700 hands in the MTT.

But I might have gotten better at adjusting my play to my stack and my villains in late game and from just that one deep run in the Bounty Builder I probably learned alot :f_love:
    • 49Allex94
      49Allex94
      Bronze
      If you have some tips to give I will be very happy because for one week before I finished on 18/1230 Bounty Builder 1.1$ and I won only 51$..I did'nt was aggresive,I only grind ,in the last 100 players I had over 2 mil. chips and the second place had under 1 mil..I don't know what to say..I played 8 hours and I was very mad,angry..