This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Goal: to beat NL5 SH

• Starpior
      Starpior
      Bronze
      Hello!

I will start my second blog ( first one went pretty bad ;( ). Now I am with new energy and motivation! Going to work hard on my game to eventually reach my set goal. In my previous blog I was donking around in NL2/NL5 zoom tables and didn't work on my discipline to play seriously. Now in the first place I am going to work on the discipline, strictly hold to the plan (the plan is simple: we kill batman :f_cool: ).
      This blog will serve me as motivation and mental support to play my A poker game. No more donking, no more tilting, no more excuses! I know that I can do this.

Now more serious about the plan:
      Playing on PokerStars.
      Starting BR: $100
      4 - 6 tables NL2/NL5 SH regular tables.
      >$100 NL5 tables
      <$100 NL2 tables
      Short sessions 350-1k hands per session.
      Keep up with session schedule 20:00 / 21:00 EET (depends when I arrive home after work)
      Try to play every day (at least every day when I don't visit my woman :f_love: )
      No more excuses not to play poker session (like: nah maybe later I want to play WoW or SC2 for a while after that I can start poker session...aaaaaand it is 00:00 time to bed, tomorrow I need to get up early....)
      Post sweaty hands into hand analysis thread for suggestions how to play that particular spot
      Post graph of my progress as soon as I earn bronze status (now too lazy to register into other poker site... :f_zZz: )
      Regularly update my blog
      And last but not least - Beat NL5 SH limit 10bb+/100 in 50k+ hands sample

Let's mooooove out!
  • 6 replies
    • vonki
      vonki
      Bronze
      Good luck to you! It sure is doable goals.

But keep in mind, that setting monetary goals (also bb/100 goals) in a pretty swingy game can cause a lot of tilt! It's better to redefine your goals a bit!

Best of luck to you anyway! :f_thumbsup:
    • Starpior
      Starpior
      Bronze
      Thank you for stopping by :)

Actually, in my case setting goal (bb/100) is rather more reliable method to deal with downswing and tilt. After my huge upswing I encounter downswing, it usually leads to bad decision making and eventually tilt. But when I look at hands played and my winnings I understand that I need to be 1 Buy-in per 1000 hands (it is the ideal case, could be much less and still good). This boosts my self esteem, spots where opponent wins with his 3 or 2 outs don't bother me at all.
      I don't know how it is for others, but personally for me setting this goal helped to deal with downswings and tilt. I tried various methods, like taking a break, ending sessions etc. etc. but in the end I ended up tilting or was not sure about every action at the table and couldn't play despite the fact I was still in profit and tilt appeared from the thin air.
      I will update my progress at the tables 1-2 times per week, so I won't be too cocky about my upswing or too shy about my loses.
      Well this is my style, lets see the results in the upcoming weeks.

Cheers :f_drink:
    • Starpior
      Starpior
      Bronze
      Here comes Week No. 1:

Took a shot at NL5. At first it was not bad, but after 3 sessions my BR went from $120 to $91 and had to lower my limits to NL2.
      At NL2 I feel confident so managed to recover all my loses and even made some "profit" :f_cool:
      To motivate myself even more, I decided to withdraw 50% of my each week winnings, if it is too low to cashout I will convert it to other currency, so It will be clear for me what is my BR and how much I have reserved.
      The grind must go on!

Sessions played: 6
      Total hands: 2997
      Weekly profit: +$6.05
      BR: $103.05
    • Starpior
      Starpior
      Bronze
      Week No. 2:

Again took a shot at NL5. With BR $120 switched to NL5 and again busted 3 buy-ins :f_mad: Well I guess I shouldn't switch all 5 tables to NL5 rather mix the limits. This week I plan to mix NL5 tables with NL2 tables, this way I hope I won't risk a lot of my BR and mixed limits result in softer sessions. My plan is to replace 1 table per every 10$ above $100 BR. In example: I play 5 tables during session, so at $110 BR 4 tables NL2 and 1 table NL5, at $120 3 tables NL2 and 2 tables NL5 and so on. Week No. 3 will start again from grinding NL2 tables :f_zZz:

P.S. I plan to get bronze status soon, any ideas how to post pics? :f_o: :f_ugly:

Summary of second week:
      Total hands: 4981
      NL5: 738 -$17.00
      NL2: 4243 $14.33
      Sessions: 11
      Profit: -$2.67
      BR: $100.2
    • Starpior
      Starpior
      Bronze
      Here is my second week results. I mixed tables so stakes are not shown correctly tho :f_zZz:
      I hope to improve this week :f_drink:

• Starpior
      Starpior
      Bronze
      Week No. 3:

Well this week I didn't play a lot thus not a big difference in BR... To achieve bronze status at Pokerstrategy I took free money offer at partypoker ($10). Well I don't have any plans for Partypoker because of low traffic so I decided to play NL10 with my 1 buy in BR :f_rolleyes:
      Games are sooo soft, I can't believe that ppl actually play like this at NL10... 4 out of 6 players will limp from any position and play any two cards they have. I was like WTF?! So I saw an opportunity to get some $$ from these players even felt sorry for them at some point. I think I will bust my BR at partypoker sooner or later (considering the fact that I play with 4-6 buy-ins at NL10 :f_ugly: ), so Cashing out 30% of profit right now. Lets see how long I can survive with such BR management :f_biggrin:
      Pokerstars for serious grind, Partypoker just for fun and luck I guess.
      Nevertheless here are results of whole week on both platforms:

PokerStars:
      Zoom 6-max: 660 hands -$8.61 (Yes I know, I shouldn't play zoom :f_confused: )
      Net won: $4.66
      Cashout: $2 (50% of weekly profit)
      BR: $102.77
      Total hands: 3940

Partypoker:
      Hands: 1160
      BR: $62.97 (cashing out $20)