Postflop - Raise/Reraise Size

• LoBrue
      LoBrue
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I read this one:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/others/1586/1/

So we have to differnt ways to size our postflop raise/reraise:
      • Raising to pot size -> 3 * bet/raise of the latest opponent + pot before anyone had bet/raised it.
      • Raising by pot size -> 2 * bet/raise of the latest opponent + pot before anyone had bet/raised it.

Target is to give every player bad pot odds -> 2:1.
      If I play it is pretty fast and easy to calculate both options. But I could not understand when to use which one.

Sry, I just dont get it. :(
  • 4 replies
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      The only way to understand things like these is to really learn them. To really learn them means to figure out yourself exactly what things mean. This involves full understanding on pot odds, whether presented you or offered by you. It involves the dependence on the number of players still to speak, and it involves branching due to different decisions taken by opponents (if one player calls between you and a third player, the third player's pot odds are affected).

The math is simple enough that I advice you to go through things yourself in made up scenarios. No articles, and certainly no videos. Begin as simple as possible. Pot is X heads up. You bet X/2. What are the pot odds offered? Pot is Y. You want to offer 3:1 to your only opponent. How much to bet? The pot is Z with two opponents. You bet Z. The first opponent folds. How much is the second opponent offered? What if the first opponent calls?

You take it from there. It is better than memorizing articles.
    • LoBrue
      LoBrue
      Bronze
      If I read articles I do it like the following:

1. Read part by part and make some notes.
      2. Think about it and think about when I want to implement this into my game.
      3. Think about how to use it in the best way. Think also about what I have to do to bring it in my game in a longterm.

X. If I have a question and can not go on with some point I just google/search in the forum/ask in the forum before going on.

##########################################################################################

I know how to calculate the pot odds. And I know that I have to give villians range bad pot odds to make his call bad. I also understand the secound part you described. But if I just think like this anytime why there is a "rule" to calculate the size of the raise?

Here an example:
      Pot is 20 BB.
      MP bets 8 BB.
      CO raise to 20 BB.

Now I want to give them bad pot odds (example: 3/1) to make his call unprofitable. Important is that I do this for both ->
      3 to 1 -> Pot right now + X to X - last bet/raise
      Pot right now = 20 BB (Pot) + 8 BB (MP) + 20 (CO) = 48 BB
      last bet/raise = 20 BB
      3 to 1 -> 48 BB + X to X - 20 BB......................./first part dividate by 3 to manage the 3 to 1
      (48 BB + X) / 3 = X - 20 BB............................... / *3
      48 BB + X = 3X - 60 BB.................................... / + 60 BB
      108 BB + X = 3X............................................... / - X
      108 BB = 2 X...................................................../ dividate by 2
      54 BB = X

So I bet 54 BB to give them pot odds of 3:1 or worse.

So lets see wheter I am right:

View MP:

Possible win: 20 BB (Pot) + 8 BB (MP1) + 20 BB (CO) + 54 BB (BTN) = 102 BB
      Call size: 54 BB - 8 BB = 46 BB

102 to 46 BB = 2,2 to 1:f_thumbsup:

View CO:

Possible win: 20 BB (Pot) + 8 BB (MP1) + 20 BB (CO) + 54 BB (BTN) = 102 BB
      Call size: 54 BB - 20 BB = 34 BB

102 to 34 = 3 to 1 :f_thumbsup:

If MP would call -> the pot odds for CO would be better !!!!!!

Is there no faster way to calculate this "ingame"?
    • LoBrue
      LoBrue
      Bronze
      So if I want to calculate this in the fastest way I would do it like this:

Give them pot odds: 3 to 1
      Pot right now: 48 BB
      Calculate: (Pot right now + last bet/raise * 3) / 2

-> 48 BB + 3 * 20 BB = 108 BB / 2 = 54 BB

Pretty ok. Mhm thank you. :f_love:
    • Post removed