Poker, Emotions and the Mental Game

• poompah
      poompah
      Bronze
      One of the most important factors in playing a game that involves so much losing and perceived unfairness is unquestionably our mental state. Not just because it affects decision making at the tables -- but because it sits at the heart of our motivation to withstand what can be a mentally *challenging* game.
      If you play a lot of poker or intend to be semi/full-time pro it is going to affect significant proportion of your life and could wreak havoc with your self-esteem -- and lack of preparedness for such mental challenges can easily lead to a ruinous poker-life imbalance.

If you're NOT careful, your whole life can be a f**kin grind
      I have not seen a thread that specifically deals with this aspect of poker -- although it crops up from time to time in individual discussions of hands. So -- is it a good idea to start a thread to cover the plethora of mental-game-related matters? I realize this is opening a can of worms that potentially can lead to some huge disagreements -- but there is also a lesson to be learned in that no?

Topics to consider:

Observing Performance
        Improving Mental Fitness
        The Psychology of Personal Growth
        Poker as a Lesson for Life

Discussion can range from recommended learning sources to personal experience, opinions on what it all means, examples from life and so on. Let's open up the discussion with suggestions and interest?
  • 3 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey poompah,

I totally agree that the mental side of the game is integral to any chance you have of being a successful, profitable player. To that end threads are started regularly by our community members as they strive to find ways to improve my mindset.

A useful thread that makes interesting reading is +++Q&A with Jared Tendler!!+++. Jared is the co-author of 'The Mental Game of Poker 1 & 2' (with our very own BarryCarter) and a respected and sought after mental game coach.

Enjoy

Laz
    • poompah
      poompah
      Bronze
      :f_eek:
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey poompah,

You are quite welcome to continue with this thread. Jared is a very busy man and may not view that thread much anymore as it is a fairly old thread.

Maybe you can expand on the discussion by going into further detail of what you consider the major pitfalls on the mental side.

Regards

Laz