This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

I have the odds to call ....

• elrio
      elrio
      Bronze
      Hi,

I heard Grummeler often said i have the odds to call that preflop shove of the shorty.

Now i would like to now something more about that kinda situations. So how does it kinda work? When do you have the odds to call a shorty whit a certain hand.

Do you guys base your odds to the odds of a hand against another certain hand. Ex. Pair vs overcards (Like we can read in harrington books).

Grtz elrio
  • 1 reply
    • grummeler
      grummeler
      Bronze
      so to go threw all the possibilities is close to impossible.
      but if he hold a reasonable hand like suited connectors, two high cards and so on and the push of the shorty gives you 2:1 or better you just have to think about calling.
      if this doesnt brake your chipstack, or your tournament status, you have to make the calls with good odds.

with 2:1 odds and a hand like 89o you have to call a smalstack.
      because against his range you are better then the 33% you need.

the 2:1 rule is somehow very accurate, because against a smallstack who is desperate you should have a wide shoving range.
      and therefore, if you get 2:1 pott odds you might call with a hand weaker then avarage.

suppose you hold 28o in the big blind and your getting 2,5:1 odds because a small stack pushes all in. then the following acours:
      if he pushes 33% of his hands youhave 30% equity against this range. so your call is a good call based on pott odds.
      because in the long run this call EARNS you some chips

of course there are situations where calling would be a mistake, but the 2:1 rule is really good to deside if you call or not.

with better then 2:1 odds iam willing to call (if this ends the hand) with any two cards because againstthe all in range im doing good with calling.