Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $20.50
      UTG1:
      $14.10

0.1/0.2 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q:club: , Q:heart:
      UTG1 raises to $0.60, 7 folds, Hero raises to $1.40, UTG1 calls $0.80.

Flop: ($2.90) J:heart: , 2:heart: , 9:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.00, UTG1 calls $2.00.

Turn: ($6.90) T:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $17.10 (All-In), UTG1 raises to $10.70 (All-In).

River: ($34.70) 6:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $34.70
  • 15 replies
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      why did you shove on the turn?
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Rather than shove turn make 5$ b/c.
      This way he can shove with worse hands and call with worse hands.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      I must be stupid, I dont understand lol
    • spit22
      spit22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBrood
      b/c = bet/call meaning you bet 5$ and you call if he raises.
      shove = go all in .

your aim in poker is to get worse hands to pay you off, it is clear that with your shove no worse hand will call
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by spit22
      b/c = bet/call meaning you bet 5$ and you call if he raises.
      Yes I understand that part, but why would he shove a worse hand?
    • spit22
      spit22
      Bronze
      to make you fold . bluff/semi-bluff
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      but he must know I wont fold for $5 if he shoves so he prob has better
    • spit22
      spit22
      Bronze
      yes this is the point. if he calls your 5$ he could have a worse hand. if he raises he could be on a draw. if he raises and he has a better hand you still call because you have good odds. do you understand now ?if you shove yourself on the turn you scare away all the worse hands and everytime you'll get called by better hands . can you understand how this is losing money for you ?
    • Purity
      Purity
      Bronze
      U should also raise more pre-flop now u give small pocketpairs good odds to call (tho in this case villain is midstack so he doesn't really get good odds, but make it habit for future) for setvalue and u play out of position.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      yes this is the point. if he calls your 5$ he could have a worse hand. if he raises he could be on a draw. if he raises and he has a better hand you still call because you have good odds. do you understand now ?if you shove yourself on the turn you scare away all the worse hands and everytime you'll get called by better hands . can you understand how this is losing money for you ?
      I wanted him to fold a better hand like 2-pair or set by representing a flush. And if he called with better, I figured I had some outs. Bad idea I guess?
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      but if you shove and he has a better hand you loss your money then and there.
      if you bet less you can get away from it?
      or are we going broke anyway because of our FD+OPSD?
    • Purity
      Purity
      Bronze

I wanted him to fold a better hand like 2-pair or set by representing a flush.
      This is the wrong way of thinking. U won't get a better hand to fold, but will in some cases get money from worse hands if u just bet the normal amount.
    • spit22
      spit22
      Bronze
      I wanted him to fold a better hand like 2-pair or set by representing a flush. And if he called with better, I figured I had some outs. Bad idea I guess?
      you need specific reads on someone to bluff him. first of all what hands he is able to fold, against who and when . don't bluff uknown. 2nd it is hard for you to represent a flush here and with his stack size it will be easier for him to call.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      you need specific reads on someone to bluff him. first of all what hands he is able to fold, against who and when . don't bluff uknown. 2nd it is hard for you to represent a flush here and with his stack size it will be easier for him to call.
      Your post helped me understand, thnx a lot to you and the other ppl who posted.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Purity

I wanted him to fold a better hand like 2-pair or set by representing a flush.
      This is the wrong way of thinking. U won't get a better hand to fold, but will in some cases get money from worse hands if u just bet the normal amount.
      I usually ask myself "will I call if he shoves?" and if the answer is yes I shove myself for FE.