Time tracking app for having productivity statistics

• SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      Hi,

I was yesterday thinking I need to start to register what I am doing when I am not studying or doing sports. And how much time in a day I have.

Then see how much of the free time I used good, how much bad.

First was trying to think about excel. But saw a limitation:

I thouth I need 1 row of day - to have information how much time do I have. Lets say I am home from work 18:30, so I have time till 23 hour, so I have 4.5 hours.

Then for this row - I have many rows of what I do. SO this is not possible with excel.

THen I started doing mysql database :) I know there are programmers, so will understand what I write :)

code:
      CREATE TABLE `actions` (
      	`id` INT(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
      	`start_time` TIME NULL DEFAULT NULL,
      	`end_time` TIME NULL DEFAULT NULL,
      	`description` VARCHAR(255) NULL DEFAULT '',
      	`rating` ENUM('Useful','Questionable','Fun','Useful_for_ohters') NOT NULL,
      	`day_id` INT(11) NOT NULL,
      	PRIMARY KEY (`id`),
      	INDEX `FK_actions_days` (`day_id`),
      	CONSTRAINT `FK_actions_days` FOREIGN KEY (`day_id`) REFERENCES `days` (`id`)
      )
      COMMENT='what I am doing'
      COLLATE='latin1_swedish_ci'
      ENGINE=InnoDB
      AUTO_INCREMENT=13;

code:
      CREATE TABLE `days` (
      	`id` INT(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
      	`free_time_start` TIME NOT NULL,
      	`day` DATE NOT NULL,
      	`comment` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
      	`end_day_time` TIME NOT NULL DEFAULT '23:00:00',
      	PRIMARY KEY (`id`)
      )
      COMMENT='Here will show how much free time in day I have'
      COLLATE='latin1_swedish_ci'
      ENGINE=InnoDB
      AUTO_INCREMENT=4;

And I am thinking I will need to create more tables for different specific activities which I want to track more information. For example sports - what excersize I am doing, how much of it. And this would have foreign key to actions.id for time spent.

Then poker studying time - it has its own categories - video, coaching, hand evaluations, etc.
      Actually with pokers studying time, maybe instead of 'rating' column, I should have category, and when I select 'useful' time, I sshould include all poker categories. SO then maybe I avoid additional table.

With sporst - what I do, it could be enough to put in the description column becuase it does not need that much acuracy. Its enough that it is usefull thing.

There are appplications which do automatic tracking - like rescue time, but they track only what you do with computer and also you have to categorize a lot, and also problem is - lets say skype - which category is that? sometimes it is waste of time category, sometimes it is usefull category because you learn through it.

But maybe you know some app which is what I need so I would not reinvent the wheel?

Update:
      Why did I add 'days' table - because I want to have a description. From work at home I am not at constant time. So good to know why that time was. But not sure, maybe I should just add row in actions table - whole day interval of work and that would be it. I can there write exaplination why excatly at that hour I am starting to have free time.

Was also thinking - do I need start time column at all? If I would assume that start time is 00:00:00, I put work time with sleep time together, then I would need only end time column. And end time is next action start time automatically. Now its data duplication.
      But only question is - will it be easy to select data, for example to know how much time was useful - I will have to take end time from previous row, take time from current row, and then get a time difference.

Oh, and if can avoid 'days' table, then I am able to go back to excel :) need to think, still with sql I can get reports in various ways easier I guess
  • 3 replies
    • DemonRax
      DemonRax
      Bronze
      What's wrong with Toggl?
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      Originally posted by DemonRax
      What's wrong with Toggl?
      maybe that is good, would need to try. But now trying fogbugz. I have used it for work.

Here is how time sheet report looks.

On the right are projects which I was doing that day. What I still have to do is to manually sum what is useful time, what is not. For example sports and poker is useful time.

But that is not a lot of work to sum few column totals, so thats probably ok.

Hmm, but again I am back to my database - one table. I like the idea that I can make reports whatever I want and there are no extra things which I do not need.
    • DemonRax
      DemonRax
      Bronze
      Yeah, when I faced this questions - I just installed several apps and Toggl worked best for me, I can only recommend it. I'm going to stop using it next month though because I got what I wanted during last 3-4 months and I don't think it makes sense to continue. But it definitely was worth it.

Good luck!