nut straight at plo

• shaywh
      shaywh
      Bronze
      I had the nut straight at plo, player raised to 0.85, I called from the BB, everybody else folded. the flop came 8-9-t :club: , I had the jq and it was clear that he have some set. I re-raised strong so we went all in after the turn (a :club: which gave him another set) the board paired on the river and player won pot of 45.25$ :(
      he couldn't have the flush draw with his a-9-a-9, so he had 8 outs (a-9-t-t-t-8-8-8) and won with more luck than skill.
      my question is- in such situations, should I check call untill Im sure that I have the nuts in the river or to bet-raise triyng to make him fold?
  • 5 replies
    • adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      Originally posted by shaywh
      my question is- in such situations, should I check call untill Im sure that I have the nuts in the river or to bet-raise triyng to make him fold?
      If my calculations are not wrong, you had ~59% equity on the flop and ~80% on the turn. So in such situations you should bet-raise trying to make him call, not fold.
    • Chiller3k
      Chiller3k
      Bronze
      Originally posted by adr0001
      Originally posted by shaywh
      If my calculations are not wrong, you had ~59% equity on the flop and ~80% on the turn. So in such situations you should bet-raise trying to make him call, not fold.
      Since you don't know his hand it's not that easy :P
      You've got to give him a range and if he's holding two clubs you are beat.
    • adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      If he's holding 2 clubs he has a flush draw. I think on the flop only the ten is a club because shaywh said "he couldn't have the flush draw".
      The only hands that beat him on the turn are J :club: Q :club: , JQ +set and JQ+flushdraw. Even if he has set+FD+2 pair or set+FD his opponent is an underdog on the turn. Since it's a raised pot he will play for stacks with weaker hands for sure.
      Btw, is there any software who calculates the equity against a specific range in Omaha? I didn't find any.
    • Chiller3k
      Chiller3k
      Bronze
      hm I though the whole flop was in :club:
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey shaywh,

Was there 1 club on the flop or multiple? If you have the nut straight on that kind of board the problem is that you will seldomly get a lot of action from worse hands. You might even end up getting freerolled by something like 9TJQ or a QJ with a flush-draw. As such its always a toss-up between getting your money into the middle as soon as possible and avoiding being on the negative end of a freeroll situation (ofc it also depends on how loose/bad your opponent is - in this case obviously not very good as he can never see himself ahead here with top set vs action)

The question I ask myself however though is why are you playing PLO25? You hopefully are away you need 50 Buyin BR to play Omaha and extensive experience. We have a hand evaluation area and strategy discussion area for omaha: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1475 as well as articles. You need silver status to access these though.

Best regards
      SoyCD