This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

nut straight at plo

• shaywh
      shaywh
      Bronze
      I had the nut straight at plo, player raised to 0.85, I called from the BB, everybody else folded. the flop came 8-9-t :club: , I had the jq and it was clear that he have some set. I re-raised strong so we went all in after the turn (a :club: which gave him another set) the board paired on the river and player won pot of 45.25$ :(
      he couldn't have the flush draw with his a-9-a-9, so he had 8 outs (a-9-t-t-t-8-8-8) and won with more luck than skill.
      my question is- in such situations, should I check call untill Im sure that I have the nuts in the river or to bet-raise triyng to make him fold?
  • 5 replies
    • adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      Originally posted by shaywh
      my question is- in such situations, should I check call untill Im sure that I have the nuts in the river or to bet-raise triyng to make him fold?
      If my calculations are not wrong, you had ~59% equity on the flop and ~80% on the turn. So in such situations you should bet-raise trying to make him call, not fold.
    • Chiller3k
      Chiller3k
      Bronze
      Originally posted by adr0001
      Originally posted by shaywh
      If my calculations are not wrong, you had ~59% equity on the flop and ~80% on the turn. So in such situations you should bet-raise trying to make him call, not fold.
      Since you don't know his hand it's not that easy :P
      You've got to give him a range and if he's holding two clubs you are beat.
    • adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      If he's holding 2 clubs he has a flush draw. I think on the flop only the ten is a club because shaywh said "he couldn't have the flush draw".
      The only hands that beat him on the turn are J :club: Q :club: , JQ +set and JQ+flushdraw. Even if he has set+FD+2 pair or set+FD his opponent is an underdog on the turn. Since it's a raised pot he will play for stacks with weaker hands for sure.
      Btw, is there any software who calculates the equity against a specific range in Omaha? I didn't find any.
    • Chiller3k
      Chiller3k
      Bronze
      hm I though the whole flop was in :club:
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey shaywh,

Was there 1 club on the flop or multiple? If you have the nut straight on that kind of board the problem is that you will seldomly get a lot of action from worse hands. You might even end up getting freerolled by something like 9TJQ or a QJ with a flush-draw. As such its always a toss-up between getting your money into the middle as soon as possible and avoiding being on the negative end of a freeroll situation (ofc it also depends on how loose/bad your opponent is - in this case obviously not very good as he can never see himself ahead here with top set vs action)

The question I ask myself however though is why are you playing PLO25? You hopefully are away you need 50 Buyin BR to play Omaha and extensive experience. We have a hand evaluation area and strategy discussion area for omaha: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1475 as well as articles. You need silver status to access these though.

Best regards
      SoyCD