RIO

• RockRoll458
      RockRoll458
      Basic
      Hopefully this right place to ask?

I was reading the thread on Implied Odds in basic strategy a couple days ago, and it was talking about clean outs and reverse implied odds. And if I was reading it correctly, basically it was stating we were being dominated by anything less than three-of a kind/ non-nut draws, less than TPTK type stuff. I am assuming this is true even if we already have a top pair hand and are not really drawing?

I think the point of the lesson was that you can be drawing dead, or not get paid off when you do hit your obvious draw? And that there really is no implied odds in that situation?

So I guess what I'm wondering is, when I'm not holding the nuts, how much is this reverse implied odds driving my decision making?
  • 5 replies
    • RockRoll458
      RockRoll458
      Basic
      Probably a whole other discussion, but also wonder how this effects you, if you knew someone was capable of floating to the River and placing a large bet.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey RockRoll458,

I actually won a couple of nice pots today off those type of players. In both cases, the players were caught doing it by other players but I made a note and later in my session I was able to cash in by calling their donk river overbets with marginal made hands.

The key is to be observant and make a note of these players because once you identify them, you can exploit them relentlessly.

Regards

Laz
    • RockRoll458
      RockRoll458
      Basic
      Lazza61, thank you for the tip. I believe you are correct. It doesn't always make much sense to me what they are betting now.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Be careful though. If the player has been playing tight generally, and does it, he will have the nuts, particularly at the micros.

It's the LAGs and maniacs that you should target as they are the bluffers. Tight players at the micros rarely bluff and if they do, they will rarely bet more than 3/4 pot.
    • RockRoll458
      RockRoll458
      Basic
      Sounds like a good strategy. Sure I could use some more insight into that area. Wish I had a HUD for the current games. Some of the people I see are not always folding too often, but it would be nice to know a little better who is who. Some people may raise your blind and fold to a reraise :f_biggrin: Other people seem to be more or less married to the pot. A loose player who is hitting the board can be a dangerous thing though. :f_biggrin:

Before I first started playing low limit hold em , I put some effort into learning how to get started, also a little towards Omaha and tournament poker. Did ok for the low limits after a couple months of trying, but I never put much effort into trying to learn NL. The question of reverse implied odds seems to be even more important if you are likely to be facing a large bet later in the hand?