Micro Limits STT's BR Challenge

• heltucosta
      heltucosta
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

It's been a while since I have wanted to try and start taking my poker game serious and since the beginning of 2016 I was battling with some changes in my life and trying to get everything together and organized so I could start this Blog.
      So, with no further ado, I introduce my bankroll challenge and starting blog:

:As: :Ac: Micro Limits STT's BR Challenge :Ah: :Ad:

First things first, I'll introduce myself

My name is Helton Costa, I am a 25 years old recently graduated Mechatronics Engineer living in Brasilia, Brazil.

I first started playing poker on high school with some friends, we used to gather around at one of my friends house and play cash game for some medicre money, just for the fun of it. We used to play from 11am to 11pm, when it was time for us to gather the money we have won and go have some fun out with other friends.

This kept going for a while and somewhat between my high school and college I stopped playing this beautiful game because I had no time left.
      On my third year of college I made some friends that were also in to the game and I got right back on that horse, unfortunately, not for long.
      I got a study scholarship to live for one year on the Netherlands, which was one of the best experiences of my whole life, and then, when I got back to Brazil, it was time for me to graduate and take college seriously so I could finish it on time.

Right now I am working full time on a IT company, developing websites and apps for some clients. This is really time consuming and exausting, and somedays I just have to deliver a project and have to stay extra hours on the job, but It's ok, I enjoy it :f_drink:

Since I finished college I've been wanting to play poker again and try to make a living or something close to it out of it, but since I haven't played it for a long time, I took some time getting used back to the game by studying some of the articles here on pokerstrategy, some books, watching some streams and of course, playing.

Now that I feel confortable with it again, lets start this challenge!! :sfishy:

How much money did you start with?

None. That's it.
      Since the beginning I wanted to try n see if I could build a bankroll without making a deposit.
      Instead, I signed up for a account at 888poker from where I got $2 and a few tickets for some tourneys. From there, I was able to increase my bankroll, playing only a few times a month, to $7.15.
      This is the amount of money I am starting this BR Challenge with.
      If I fail, OK, we can deposit and try again. If not, GREAT! (:

What type of games will you be playing?

As you can imagine, STT's.
      I intend to play only 10 players turbo STT's until I have enough BR to mix in some other types of games.

Whats stakes and how much?

The smallest BI for turbo STT's com 888poker is 10cents, and that's where I am starting.
      I plan to play around 5 times a week, 4 hour for each session. This makes approximately 35 STT's per session.
      So, that would lead to 175 STT's each week and 700 monthly.

Do you use any Tracker?

No. The only software I'm using right now is ICMTrainer and some excel sheets to keep my data organized.

Goals

• Yearly goal: at least $1,5k of profit.
      • Play at least 10k STTs in one year.
      • reach Iron Status until 2nd week.
      • reach Chrome Status until the end of 1st month.
      • maintain at least 5%+ ROI.
      • study at least 2 times per week. 1 day for strategy and the other for session review.

I think it's about it.
      I really hope this blog helps me improve my game and I appreciate any criticism or tip anyone can give me regarding either the blog or my poker strategy, plays, tournaments, hourly rate..., just ANYTHING! :f_drink: :f_drink: :f_drink:

:welcome: WELCOME EVERYBODY :welcome:
  • 32 replies
    • heltucosta
      heltucosta
      Bronze
      Since I've played already some STT's from the day I supposedly started this BR Challenge, I will put in the summary here:

Starting BR:$7.15
      Current BR:$9.81
      Profit:$2.66
      STT's played:163
      ROI:16%

Was kind of a good week with only one losing day and one break even day.

If you guys think there are some important informations missing, just ask me and I'll try to give them to you.
    • Post removed

• SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hi heltucosta,

seems you are an ambitious man! Welcome to our BR challenge - but would you please still tell me what would be your goal for the BR-challenge?
      The minimum goal is $1k, the starting BR is I guess $7?

See you & GL, SvenBe
    • heltucosta
      heltucosta
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SvenBe
      Hi heltucosta,

seems you are an ambitious man! Welcome to our BR challenge - but would you please still tell me what would be your goal for the BR-challenge?
      The minimum goal is $1k, the starting BR is I guess $7?

See you & GL, SvenBe
      Hey man, thanks for the visit (:

Forgot to put the long term goals, I will update my first post in order to put them there.
    • Hesticus
      Hesticus
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Cool man! You studied in the Netherlands? :f_biggrin: Spreek je al een beetje Nederlands (You speak a bit of Dutch?)? :f_tongue:

Cheers,
      Hesticus:f_drink:
    • heltucosta
      heltucosta
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hesticus
      Cool man! You studied in the Netherlands? :f_biggrin: Spreek je al een beetje Nederlands (You speak a bit of Dutch?)? :f_tongue:

Cheers,
      Sorry man, I didn't get to learn dutch there. Every time I tried to when I was there they aways said that my accent make it impossible for them to understand, so I stopped learning ):
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      Kudos on grinding a roll from basically 0! Good luck to you! :f_thumbsup:
    • Post removed

• heltucosta
      heltucosta
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vonki
      Kudos on grinding a roll from basically 0! Good luck to you! :f_thumbsup:
      Thx :f_drink: :f_drink:
      Hope I can make it. those micro games at 888 are so easy that for now it seems ok to build a BR there.
      Will just take a longer time to gather enough to start playing some more technical games. Hope the variance doesn't catch me:f_cool:
    • heltucosta
      heltucosta
      Bronze
      :As: :Ac: Update: Week 1:Ah: :Ad:

Last week BR: $9.81
      Current BR: $12.63
      Profit: $2.82
      STTs Played: 155/175
      Hours played: 18:53/20:00
      Hours studied: 00:00/8:00 :facepalm:
      ROI: 17%/5%

In summary, a good week. Played a total of 7 sessions, 5 of 35 STTs (4 ended up with profit) and 2 of 10 STTs (1 of profit).
      This week I had some personal activities to attend to during the times I had scheduled to play, so I couldn't play the amount of tournaments I had calculated to and couldn't separate time to do some in depth study, just some small readings.

I believe my game was a little bit below average this week because of the time issue. I wanted so much to play the amount of tournaments I determined as goal that I dismissed study hours and warm up time before I start playing. I will try to change that for this week and hope to see some improvements.

• Reach Iron Status until 2nd week DONE :f_drink:

I really believe I can improve my ROI in this games. 888poker field is so easy that I should be finishing much more ITM than what I am right now.
      Since I don't use any poker tracker, I manage to create an Excel sheet where I am making a summary of my sessions and so I can stay on track as where and how my game can improve.
      I have played already 318 STTs and this is the percentage of the places I finished.
      • 1st: 14.7%
      • 2nd: 12.2%
      • 3rd: 17.9%
      • 4th: 10%
      • 5th to 10th: 45.2%

I would really appreciate some feedback about this finish positions and what do you guys think about that.
      What I want to do is diminish my 3rd position finishes because that is where the least amount of money is and where I am currently finishing most often. I think increasing my aggression during bubble play I could accomplish that.
      The problem with this strategy is, often enough, these kind of STTs get to push/fold play with 6/7 players and it's really hard to decide whether a play should be based on ICM or not, if I should shove or re-shove some weak aces in order to accumulate chips to play the bubble or to save chips but increasing the risk of being blinded out. That is where I am having the most difficulty.

This week I want to get my study going, so I'll determine some goals related to study:
      • Create push/fold chart on Equilab adjusted to average field of 888 (I believe it should be looser, what do you guys think?)
      • In depth study about high blind of STTs (try to improve the issue I addressed above)

What do you guys think about the strategy I'm approaching in order to improve my game ?
      Is there any info you would like to see here that is missing?
      Is there any software that converts an entire STT HH of 888poker so I can try to make my session reviews on the future ? I couldn't find it anywhere and I'm already writing my own Hand Converter in C.

Thank you! Thank you for the follow on my blog :f_drink: :f_drink:
    • Post removed

• Post removed

• heltucosta
      heltucosta
      Bronze
      :As: :Ac: Update: Week 2 :Ah: :Ad:

Last week BR: $12.63
      Current BR: $12.01
      Profit: - $0.62
      STTs Played: 107/175
      Hours played: 12:41/20:00
      Hours studied: 05:00/8:00 :facepalm:
      Total ROI: 11%/5%

I believe this was a good week, even though the results weren't positive.
      I manage to get some study time in, and separated some study-wise goals to accomplish.

I noticed last week that my game wasn't going well and I this week I decided to discover why. I got some study in and eventually noticed that since I had played many STT's(from what I was used to), that I got somewhat loose with my starting hand ranges and forgot a little bit about the proper strategy for each stage of the STT.

So, in order to fix theses issues, I separated some study-wise goals:
      • Print hand range table and stamp each hand average opponents use for limping
      • Create a Starting hand chart adjusted for 888poker average players for Early and Mid Blinds.
      • Create a Push-Over-Limpers Chart according to average 888 players
      • Create bubble pushing chart for at least two stack sizes (according to blinds)
      • Implement SAGE strategy to improve my heads-up game

I believe many of you saw what is going on here in Brazil, and right now, this is the time for people to be united here and go to the streets and try to put pressure on our politicians and uncover all the corruption, hoping for a better future. So, I spend a lot of time reading and studying about this and also went one day to the streets to protest. That took a lot of time which would be dedicated to playing/studying poker.
      For now, I don't think I'll get the volume I want from my poker days, but I believe it is for the best.
      I'll manage to adjust my schedule after all this has passed and try to catch up to my goals.

Even though I had a little bit of downswing this week, I really enjoyed the way I played.
      I was always stealing blinds and being aggressive on the bubble on the correct spots, shoving when I was ahead of my opponents range, just wasn't getting good cards. (on my last session yesterday I lost around 6 out of 7 pocket Aces, it was tough =/ )

Since I didn't had the time yet to do some session reviews, I don't have any hand to post here for discussion, maybe this week I'll separate some of them.

• Hesticus
      Hesticus
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Yes, read about Brazil, hope you all do fine up there. As for the volume, I shouldn't worry too much at the beginning. Try to focus on the game itself. Volume will come eventually.

Look forward to see some hands dude! :f_drink:

Cheers,
      Hesticus
    • heltucosta
      heltucosta
      Bronze
      :As: :Ac: Update: Week 3 :Ah: :Ad:

Last week BR: $12.01
      Current BR: $13.49
      Profit: $1.48
      STTs Played: 58/175
      Hours played: 6:36/20:00
      Hours studied: 04:00/8:00 :facepalm:
      Total ROI: 13%/5%

So much going on right now, just can't keep up with my schedule :wtf:

Manage to get back on the horse and fix my game with a few tweeks:
      • pay more attention to tournament stage and strategy for each one
      • half-hour warm-up at ICM Trainer
      • Really focus when heads-up, improving 1st place finishes

Regarding my study goals, did manage to progress a bit with them:
      • Print hand range table and stamp each hand average opponents use for limping
      • Create a Starting hand chart adjusted for 888poker average players for Early and Mid Blinds.
      • Create a Push-Over-Limpers Chart according to average 888 players
      • Create bubble pushing chart for at least two stack sizes (according to blinds)
      • Implement SAGE strategy to improve my heads-up game

Sorry for the low volume on my challenge guys, but I had some issues with my car this week, as well as big projects to deliver on work and trying to fit all that on family hollidays. tough. :sorry:

No excuses though, I still plan to catch up with my schedule of 175 STT's per week.

Really happy with my game right now. I believe I am playing my A-game around 75% of the time (I lose focus when I finish a heads-up match and open another STT, the first 3 blinds is almost always just folding because of the 888 maniac shoving AI with T8o. Then, when it gets to Mid Stage I try to refocus, but it normally take some time).

Even though it's a small sample, looking at my finish positions for the last week gets me more motivated:
      • 1st: 22.41%
      • 2nd: 6.8%
      • 3rd: 12.06%
      • 4th: 13.8%

Hope to put in more volume for the future weeks.

• Hesticus
      Hesticus
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Good results dude :f_thumbsup:

If you can't manage the amount of study hours, I would just lower it down a bit. This way, you probably have something more realistic you can achieve. I wouldn't do exactly to the same amount of hours you did last week but just a bit lower to see if you can achieve that.

Anyway, keep up the good work :f_thumbsup:

Cheers,
    • heltucosta
      heltucosta
      Bronze
      :As: :Ac: Update: Week 4 (1st month) :Ah: :Ad:

Last week BR: $13.49
      Current BR: $12.69
      Profit: $-0.80
      STTs Played: 84/175
      Hours played: 10:01/20:00
      Total ROI: 10%/5%

Believe I felt I little bit of downswing this week.
      Don't like to give this as the first excuse but unfortunately it's what happened.

I had two days of complete fail, didn't win any flips and the negative result manage to take over the week. Even though, I manage to reevaluate the hands I played and I noticed I was getting it in with the best of it, just didn't hold it.

These micro limits game at 888 have some crazy variance, every day you play with completely different kind of fishes.

So, since this is the end of the first month I'll give a month summary.

:As: :Ac: Monthly Summary:Ah: :Ad:

Starting BR: $7.15
      Current BR: $12.69
      Profit: $5.54
      STTs Played: 567
      Hours played: [color=blue]70:41[/color
      Total ROI: 10%/5%
      Finish Positions
      • 1st: 14%
      • 2nd: 11.5%
      • 3rd: 16.6%
      • 4th: 14.5%

Still have to improve my finish positions overall, but they have been getting better the past couple of weeks.
    • heltucosta
      heltucosta
      Bronze
      :As: :Ac: Update: Week 5 :Ah: :Ad:

Last week BR: $12.69
      Current BR: $15.00
      Profit: +$2.30
      STTs Played: 105/175
      Hours played: 09:51/20:00
      Total ROI: 12%/5%
    • heltucosta
      heltucosta
      Bronze
      :As: :Ac: Update: Week 6 :Ah: :Ad:

Last week BR: $15.00
      Current BR: $15.14
      Profit: +$0.14
      STTs Played: 53/175 :facepalm:
      Hours played: 04:29/20:00
      Hours studied: 00:00/8:00 :facepalm:
      Total ROI: 12%/5%

Sorry for the low volume, Brazil is going crazy.
      This week there will probably be a low volume also, I'll be playing Caio Pessagno's Poker Cup for 10 years of poker.
      A lot of freeroll and exclusive chances to get coach from him.