Becoming a better player !!!

• 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      Hi EvErYoNe!!!
      My name is Malick, Known as Seed, I'm 23year old. I'm born in Senegal. I've been flying around from country to country since I was 16. One of my last destination was San Francisco where I learned how to play poker. Played here and there from San Francisco to Switzerland, from home games to online poker. It's been 3years now.
      I registered at Pokerstrategy end may 2008. Passed the quizz, back in Senegal, mid august. Got my starting capital at Mansion, started with SSS, but then I find out that either I lose, either I break even with that style. I still built my bankroll to 300 from MTT winnings. I used to win MTT's even before I join PS. Mansion moved to Ipoker, and I didn't like it that much so I stopped playing for a little while (I was just spewing money). It all restarted when TribunCaesar stacked me for the BOD in Team tribun :D . I cashed and end up with a bankroll of 4.79$. Then I created a quest to built it up. As some of you may already know: from 4.79$ to xxx$ at Pokerstars .
      Since that time I was trying to find the game style, I feel more comfortable with. Did some FL till 0.5/1FR, did also some NL25 SH which I still I'm learning. I also have in mind, playing some big field SnG (180 SnG at Stars and 90man SnG at FTP).
      Oh I almost forgot. I divided my bankroll between Pokerstars, FullTilt poker and PartyPoker. I also cashed out 1/4 of my bankroll to please myself for all the hard work (Right, dealing with Tilt and variance can really be a pain in the @ss sometimes).
      Now the real deal. As the title said it; I want to become a better player. For that I'll need to:

- BEAT Tilt
      - Find the game that suit me the most
      - Become a better MTT player (I just love the excitement in it)
      - Have Consistency

For the last one (consistency), I had it in mind but I didn't really know how to put it up. Till I read this one article from Daniel Negreanu where he talked about David "chip" Reese that passed away last year. Chip said: “My worst game just isn’t much different than my best, and that’s where I get my edge.” . Since, this sentence is haunting my mind everytime I hit the tables.
      Now I think you've all known my plan for becoming a better player. If you have some suggestions to give me. It will be more than welcomed. I still I'm looking for something to work out on my game.
      Thank you for reading and showing interest!!!
      Happy New year everyone!
      Shall this Year be a very successful year for each and everyone, at poker but more importantly in Life.

Malick
  • 15 replies
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      Oh by the way the month of January will be hard for me to play often. My bb girl is coming to visit me for 3weeks and she don't want me to play :( ... Ofc I'll when she's sleeping :rolleyes: , otherwise we'll have to run around the country for her to visit.

This article is very important in my way of a poker player so I would like to share it (It's the weekly e-mail from Daniel Negreanu):

Consistency and Chip Reese

The greatest poker player that ever lived passed away last year at the age of 56.

David “Chip” Reese wasn’t the most famous name in poker, but he certainly was the consummate poker pro. More than any player in the world, he understood the importance of balance and consistency in his life. To Chip’s everlasting credit, he always put his family first.

Now, there’s no such thing as a perfect poker player, but Chip came about as close as you’ll ever get. Friends told moving stories about him at his funeral. There was one particular story that really stood out to me.

It seems that Chip was frequently asked the question, “How can you play in the toughest games, against the best players in the world, and still win on a regular basis?”

Chip answered that when those other guys played their best games, they were fantastic. In fact, at their best, their A-games might have been better than his.

But, as Chip said, “My worst game just isn’t much different than my best, and that’s where I get my edge.”

Think about that for a moment. There’s a lot of wisdom in those words, because at the poker table, you’re only as good as you are on your worst days.

It’s all about consistency.

No surprise, poker players tend to perform at extremely high levels when things are going well. Many of those same players, though, lose their cool and go on tilt when the cards suddenly turn against them. It’s a phenomenon that’s left too many talented players in the poorhouse.

It’s simply not good enough to play your best some of the time. You have to bring consistency to your game, just like Chip Reese did, day in and day out.

The first step to build poker consistency is to recognize what causes your game to suffer performance swings from high to low. Then, do something about it!

That takes introspection on your part. It means learning what makes you tick and having the discipline to make the right decisions in regards to your playing style and bankroll.

Study your poker sessions and look for any troubling patterns. Even though you might think you play just as well when you’re losing, chances are you’re not.

Figure out what situations most adversely affect your game.

For many players, bad beats will send them reeling from their best game to their worst. Streaks of bad luck can cause players to get emotionally involved. They start chasing their money and then find themselves in full-scale tilt mode.

You can’t let that happen. Don’t ignore what you know to be fundamental poker and make incorrect plays in an attempt to quickly get back to even.

Too much time at the table can also destroy an otherwise solid poker game.

Chip could play 24-hour sessions at the felt without his game faltering. That ability is rare, almost superhuman. Don’t expect that type of endurance from yourself.

Instead, vary the length of your sessions and monitor your performance over time. Don’t be afraid to quit when you feel your game beginning to tank, and consider putting a loss limit on your session to protect yourself when it does. Extend your playing time only when you’re winning.

The one element that best demonstrates successful long-term performance is consistency in results. No one knew that better than Chip. So, keep track of your poker wins and losses. If your average loss is greater than your average win, you’ve got some work to do.
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hi there seednoir,
      Happy new year first! :D
      Im happy that you decided to start a new blog.
      Chip Reese was a great name in the pro poker field. I had watched him back when he was alive and he made some great impressions.The article from kidpoker is certanly describin him well.

Now, lets get practical. Not playing your best ame is a big leak, you should immediately stop if you feel that you are doing it.Things that helped me
      1.Playing overrolled,or in a conservative BRM- BRM can influence your decisions, if you have a low bankroll for the limit you are playing scared money, and losing a pot hurts way more than it would if you had like 3x bigger bankroll.
      2.Adding more tables - Multitabling helps me forget bad beats quickly, as the action is going on fast and my best attention is required.
      Hope this helps you!
      PS.About your girl - I dont have one, but if I had, I would not let her mess with the stuff I like to do(but hell, I guess thats exactly the reason I dont have one :D ).
      This will be in my regular reading list!
      Good luck.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hey Seednoir1 - Happy New Year and good luck with the new blog.

Nice article - thanks for posting it. Saw your sig before I read the article and thought it was one of the better ones I've seen. Anything that helps keep you on the true path :)

GL finding your best game.
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by darkonebg
      PS.About your girl - I dont have one, but if I had, I would not let her mess with the stuff I like to do(but hell, I guess thats exactly the reason I dont have one :D )
      Hi Darkonebg, thanks for your comment, It's always nice when people show some interest. As you can see I've been far for a lil while from poker and everything related. The reason is not just because my girl told me soo. The thing is I didn't see her for 5months, since I came back to Senegal. That's why I myselff decided to take a lil poker break in order to spend a more time with her. I don't even know how long it will take again before I can see her again.
      Talking poker I tried playing FL SH, was better than before. I was up but not that much. I also played some NL SH, also ok. I feel like I'm getting better everyday at this game. But the game I make the more money since I play poker is MTT and big field SnG since some times now.
      I think for now I'll only play MTT and Big field SnG and see where it goes!!!

PokerStars Tournament #132819782, No Limit Hold'em
      Buy-In: $4.00/$0.40
      180 players
      Total Prize Pool: $720.00
      Tournament started 2009/01/09 12:47:18 ET

Dear seednoir,

You finished the tournament in 1st place.
      A $216.00 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

also played few mtt with no results
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Waiboy
      Hey Seednoir1 - Happy New Year and good luck with the new blog.

Nice article - thanks for posting it. Saw your sig before I read the article and thought it was one of the better ones I've seen. Anything that helps keep you on the true path :)

GL finding your best game.
      Thanks for the support it's greatly appreciated!!!
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      I want to become a better player. For that I'll need to:

- BEAT Tilt
      - Find the game that suit me the most
      - Become a better MTT player (I just love the excitement in it)
      - Have Consistency

Love the goals

These are pretty much the same I goals as I have for the coming months.
      I dont know about you but I find that most variants of poker whether it be nl sh or fl fr I start, and do relatively well obtaining a goodwinrate, but as soon as a small downswing kicks in I cant handle it, And want to change and play a different type of poker. I know this is rediculus because even with these downswings I still get a goodwinrate. but I keep finding that the grass always looks greener on the otherside.

Im going to try and put some organization into my poker career one thing that I am seriously lacking.

I hope that you find (And stick with) the right poker variant to start learning with and wish you the best of luck in the future.
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jmackenzie
      whether it be nl sh or fl fr I start, and do relatively well obtaining a good win-rate, but as soon as a small downswing kicks in I cant handle it, And want to change and play a different type of poker. I know this is ridiculous because even with these downswings I still get a good win-rate. but I keep finding that the grass always looks greener on the other side.

Im going to try and put some organization into my poker career one thing that I am seriously lacking.

I hope that you find (And stick with) the right poker variant to start learning with and wish you the best of luck in the future.
      Crazy... we're on the same situation. I hate it when I keep loosing at the same variant and I tend to switch game. Actually that's not a good way to do things cauz it's better to just find the leaks on your game and try to get better. But at the same time when you find the game where you have the most of fun, it's easier to try and get better at it. Taking it from that point of view, I decided to play more and more MTT and big field SnG. Because I just CAN'T get away from the excitement you get from it. Till now it's very cool. At the same time I find it a lot more easier to fight against variance and tilt.
      For exemple: When I have a bad streak at the tables, meaning having my QQ get bust by KK or KT or anything, I don't specially tilt since I sticked to the rules and I get unlucky. Even If I get unlucky again and again, I just stop playing for that time and do something else (without having to play outta SHC). But, when playing cash games, If you lose to luck, you STILL have money to try and win it back (u'r not bust). And playing against the same people that suck out on you can be irritating. Also standing up from the table and going to another is even harder (We, poker players, have combativeness and don't like to give it up). And that's how I tilt most of the time when things don't get my way.
      For now, I think I've found the solution to my problems, but it's still tooo EASY to say. So we'll see where things will get me, analyse it and trinna find a solution.
      About poker, I really didn't play much, not just because of my girl but also cauz I was trinna find a school and it was getting urgent. Yeahhh I found one!!! and I'm going back to school veryy soon!! Next week or in 2weeks. Anyway I find some time to play poker few days ago where I did bust 4/4 times very quickly with hands like QQ and JJ. I also played tonight 2 SnG:

PokerStars Tournament #134248376,
      No Limit Hold'em Buy-In: $3.00/$0.25
      90 players
      Total Prize Pool: $270.00
      Tournament started 2009/01/15 17:22:40 ET
      Dear seednoir, You finished the tournament in 3rd place.
      A $37.80 award has been credited to your Real Money account

PokerStars Tournament #134248235,
      No Limit Hold'em Buy-In: $4.00/$0.40
      180 players
      Total Prize Pool: $720.00
      Tournament started 2009/01/15 17:19:29 ET
      Dear seednoir,
      You finished the tournament in 4th place.
      A $57.60 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

Will try and make some more updates as soon as I can play some more. thanks for reading!!!
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      I have some cool pictures from the 180man SnG, I would like to share:

I played 3 SnG this morning with no success: only bad meetings

By the way I received a mail from FTP telling me that they're giving me rakeback... wooohooo!!! I created the FTP account when I first learn about poker. Didn't even know what Rakeback is. Here is the mail :D

Hi Seednoir,

As a valued player on our site, we are pleased to inform you that you have been selected to receive rakeback on all of your future play at Full Tilt Poker.

Currently this opportunity is only available to a select group of loyal players that have played on our site without the ability to receive rakeback.

blablablaba...

have a good day everyone! I'm heading to the Zoo :tongue:
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      I've been away from the blog section for a while now!!!
      I come to make a bilan of all of the games I played since I created this blog.

Fist of all I did what I said, which mean played some big Field SnG. At first I wasn't playing much as you can see on the picture. I also had a bad streak of loss.
      I spent a total of 205.8$ and won a total of 315.51 for a profit of: 109.71$ in a poor playing month!

The second picture shows different stats: In 7days, I played 48 games and cashed in 16 of them. Into those cashes u can notice the 36players SnG where I cashed 7/11 times I played it. Actually the cash is a 11$ seat to the Sunday 200K. But I turned it into T$ in order to play at some other SnG. I also played the event but wasn't that great. Conclusion: I'll do that more often in order to compensate for the SnG's BI.
      I spent 134.75$ and won 334.19$ for a profit of 199.44$.
      The other remark I made was that in this picture, I played a lot less big BI SnG. Meaning that I was playing into the BRM rules.

Otherwise I played a lil of NL25SH and NL10SH but it was horrible. So I won't play it for a lil while. In few months I'll try to master this texture but for now I rather put it on the side.
      To keep up with my main goal: Consistancy, I stopped playing SnG because of a set of bad beats. It was starting to affect my game, so I took a break and started an old format: FL0.5/1$ FR.
      It worked very well, and I'm on a hot run these few days!!!

The black line separate January from February. and I started to play FL since Monday. So It's kind of a weekly graph.

As you also can notice I don't play much. It's because I'm going back to school : "business administration" . So it's not that easy to play and study at the same time.
      I'm also about to clear the 50$bonus from Pokerstars, less than 100fpp left. It should be done today.

PS: All these info are about Pokerstars! I don't play at the other sites lately. Actually I don't like the other sites like I do love with Pokerstars!!!

GL reading this Godamn long post!!! :tongue:
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      Ok guys, been a while I didn't update this blog of mine. Actually I don't even have time for myself... school, exam and all that.
      So to adapt with this new schedule I only play the 3.25$ 45man and 90man turbo SnG.
      The 45man SnG takes around 1h15mn and the 90man around 1h50
      while the 4$ 180man SnG takes up to 4h30.
      It's been good to me so far, and I'm having a hot run after a very sad negative variance that lasted 2weeks or so.
      During that awful variance, I experimented my mind about my second most important goal: Beat tilt
      I have to say I was proud of myself, because I took the bad beats as funny shht, and ended up starting a post to Let It All Out !!! . That didn't stop the bad beats, as you sure know... I then stopped all SnG activities and roll back to one of my favorites games; FL. It was cool at first till I met this one guy who teased me then call the mods when I said a wrong word to him :( . I guess I should work harder in controlling my words, maybe that way I can control my feelings, or pulse or whatever...
      Anyway, I tilted when I lost my chat!!!! I hate it when I lose the chat, I'm the kinda talky-player-type of guy. TALK is part of my game style. I flirt with words to try and influence other player's game :evil: . And I don't just spread words like that while playing, I always take in count that smart players, and non smart ones will be reading it. That way I have to adjust to hit the target pointed. Anyway because I lost my chat, I was forced to go play to FTP (I really don't like the software, even if the players are fine there). When I get back to Pokerstars, things went slowly but surely in the right path... As we speak I'm burning... even the Satan can't touch me :evil: . All I need is time, to make more BI, and more BI before the next (-)variance.

Resumé: Change game when you tilt, stop playing if that doesn't work. More importantly ALWAYS spot when (-)variance HITs. That's the only way you can get away from it without getting harmed.

I didn't included number of BI won, but let's say that that I won around 300$ with the 3.25$ turboz... in let's say ... a month.... in let's say an average of 3games a day (I don't play everyday)

Ladies and gentlemen... till the next update, I salute you!!!
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      I'll talk about one poker topic in every update !!!!
      I just feel like talking about how I did at the tables, is RANDOM. Those who're reading it must be boring about reading a Deja vu all the time !!!

Coming out: TABLE TALK ... all you want to know !!!
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze

I don't know If I should be happy or sad...
      I guess I'm sad I didn't make it to the final table....
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      I'm back...
      I promised some topic talks... but then school took all of my time...
      In 2weeks there will be no school for a while... So I'll trinna shine like last summer :) .
      With my new vision of poker I'll make a SPECIAL blog... sharing thoughts with lovers and readers !!!!
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 1seednoir1
      I'm back...
      I promised some topic talks... but then school took all of my time...
      In 2weeks there will be no school for a while... So I'll trinna shine like last summer :) .
      With my new vision of poker I'll make a SPECIAL blog... sharing thoughts with lovers and readers !!!!

yay seed is back *\0/* :s_wink: :s_thumbsup:

Good to see you again my friend. Trust you've been keeping well.

Look forward to your blogging soon,

Bart
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      Thanks EAGLE... looks like I'm not the only one awake at this time!

Table talks... talks at the table...

As you may all know... as you've all heard ... as you're all used to...

vnh gh bs oMFg unreal loser pathetic fish lol... and on top that DONK

are words we constantly hear while playing. However I tried to use the chat box for different reasons. Those reasons being to make people do things they aren't supposed to do in normal situations. Since poker isn't a normal game. I don't have to tell you why, I also don't have to tell you that the main purpose is to win. Some will tell you different reasons why they play but in the end it's aimed to WIN. Some people takes risks in order to win, which isn't that bad. But what if u can win with less risks than usual? just by giving away some words, you end up having edge on your opponent(s). But it's not that easy and it has its side-effects. By teasing the opponents with words, It don't have to be disrespectful and all that... anyone has it's own way to do that. There is also a portray that works very well. the talky kinda guy. Usually, those who talk too much are the worst players at the table... so when u feel like playing super tight, you just kill time saying no sense, bragging about being the best player at the table. It also helps to take time before calling or raising (while talkin'). The thing that you should never ever forever and ever do is criticize the Lag player. Why would you tell to the one that FEED you, that he's bad and all that??? PLEASEEE don't. you have to respect the one who woke up one day, go through all the hard process of depositing, use the time he could have used to enjoy life, giving you his money. These kinda guys, you just thank them or shut up. Just a THANKs will do. they seem to like it. When u say thanks, they tend to give u even more :f_p: . To TAG guys.... mmm, they're the more unpredictable, they also hardly change the way they play, but Braggin' seem to work fine, they may underestimate you and get surprised in the end. U also have to adapt ur game to your words, when u talk arrogant, play arrogant, when u say thanks, wait to get rewarded( slowplay).
      well I'm done talkin... I have other dirty lil secret, but it's not fun tellin' them all. Also if I talk too much you might not read it.
      see you around for the next topic... (it will be a secret)