This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Solving Mental Game issues: Attachment to money

• MisterSnS
      MisterSnS
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I am wondering about your approach to the problem written in the title of this thread:

For myself I realized now that I really gotta work on this. Whenever I have a winning day, especially a big one, I feel GREAT and everything is cool with me and the world. But as soon as I have a losing streak over a couple of thousand hands (I'm talking about cashgame) I lose confidence in me and my play, don't feel good anymore and shut down somehow in a way that I don't want to talk to anyone and play longer than I should to chase the "lost" money. In short: My mood is very dependent on the results I've got in poker.

Now, the way I am approaching this issue right now is with a Mental Hand History (Tendler: TMGP 1) and I am trying to put my focus away from the results to the decisions I take at the table.

But that's maybe not enough to solve this underlying issue. Therefore it would be great if everyone here who has/had the same problem solved it and how he/she did it. :)

Best,
      MisterSnS
  • 2 replies
    • srna10
      srna10
      Bronze
      Hi SnS,

Here is one solution and I suggest you read ALL TwiceT A's.
    • la55i
      la55i
      I had similar problems. I have only read TMGP 2 and I found it helpful. It gave different strategies/tools/workouts how to improve mental game. I really don't know at which point my problems sort of went away, or why did they disappear. All I know is that after reading TMGP 2 I was playing better and I understood that my tilting and emotions are useless, I knew how to overcome them and I played better poker.

My mental problems weren't as bad as you described yours. Mine were mostly that I call too much and start playing my B or C game after a few losses or start spewing against fish. TMGP 2 helped me to learn and improve some spots in my game. I started again from NL2 and worked my way up.