Lucky with love unlucky with gambling

• SuduVelnias
      SuduVelnias
      Bronze
      Hey, guys. I've been a member of this community for about a month and I already got some awesome advice regarding poker strategies. I've been watching a lot of vids on playing certain hands and how to upgrade my mental game (unconscious to conscious mistakes and so on). I've been reading some books about poker, asking people what's their "secret" or how should I start making money on poker. The thing is, these things didn't seem to help.
      I've re-read and re-watched Asaban's beginner strategy on MTTs twice, because I mostly play MTTs. (must be the alluring prize pool). I played a lot of spin n' gos (also saw some lessons for that) and few weeks of cash games (few days went well, got a few dollars, but then lost a lot during the latter days). However, these things didn't seem to help.
      If I'm playing a MTT while using the charts on Asaban's MTT beginner strategy guide, I just fold-out or get to flop and just miss it. If I play without those charts, only using the main knowledge I got from those lessons, sometimes, I get to cashouts and get like 150-500% of my buy-in back(which is mostly from 10 to 50 cents).
      Poker really grew on me and I feel like I'd gladly enjoy playing it for a long, long time, better yet, I'd love if it was my second or even first source of money in my life. However, my play doesn't seem to get better, and that is a really huge tilt for me. Especially, when I've lost like 80% of gambling all-in with twice-five times better odds.
      My dad loved to say "If you're lucky in love, you're unlucky in gambling" and the circumstances I'm in, I think that might very well be true. I've already deposited over 100€ to PokerStars with my country's shitty economy and I feel like Poker might just be not for me.
      If you got to this point of the post, I wanted to ask you guys for some advice:
      If I feel unlucky, maybe I should avoid going all-in even with the best hands? Maybe I should take a rest from online poker and play more of it live?
      Maybe there is some training or tips on how to advance my discipline? I feel like it's the main reason I'm losing.
      Thank you for your answers and for your valuable time used reading this.

EDIT: I don't know if double-posting is allowed in this forums, so I'll just edit my post.
      Just played 5StarCoins +R satellite to a turny and since a lot of players are playing like maniacs, I was loose Preflop. Got like 5 bad beats out of 8 all-ins. One guy even rivered a four of a kind against my straight. This is unbelievable.
  • 4 replies
    • JiggyStar
      JiggyStar
      Silver
      Glad to see I'm not the only one strugling with terrible bad beats. I used to play 6 man SnG's and was stuck on progressing, these bad beats made me tilt so bad, that at the end of the day I was going break-even. I played for half a year and my bankroll stayed the same, 10$+-, and now I went on to play cash games, as I sought this as the only way to reduce variance to minimum. I have made some progress (not much, but a solid 3BB/100h) and I advice you to try to do the same, because you will have much more chances to fold when you know you're beaten and you can see the river without having to go all-in, unlike in SnG's and MTT's where you are forced to take your chances because of the increasing blinds. Eventually you will learn more postflop play, which is the main thing in poker + as said before - variance will be reduced to minimum.
    • SuduVelnias
      SuduVelnias
      Bronze
      Awesome, man! Sounds logical. I'm thinking about hiring a coach so he could help me with my cash games, since in most of the feedback I learned that having a coach helps waaay more than following some charts or watching educational vids. :)
    • JiggyStar
      JiggyStar
      Silver
      Yeah, I was thinking about the same stuff, but I thought that I have to learn to win at least something at first, because I still think I am making lots of obvious mistakes, only they don't seem obvious to me. GL in finding a good one :)
    • thorno51
      thorno51
      Silver
      nice of you, tonight and last night I've been playing at POKERSTARS it's really hard to believe most of my good hands are always bad beat, sometimes I'm thinking might the POKERSTARS are selected the players which one they will let to WIN. good hands never win, bad hands always win. and the tables last night was really grinding me, other players always all in. especially unlimited buy in only buy in so I had 9,7 hearts since I have big stocks , so I cannot call the big all in now my hands wins. then next the other player all in again I had AK and I'm the next to call. so what shall I do with my hands, I cannot fold it , especially the other player always all in even small hands. so at the end, my hands are losing. I stop playing and I really feel bad at PokerStars