I will emulate Hans' Success. 2nl-2knl. 10euro-£10k

• 14 replies
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      Hans' footsteps are rather large I think :D I wish you all the best on your journey!!!

Just one questions: Do you also have a coach or are you trying it on your own???
    • 4s4s4s
      4s4s4s
      Bronze
      Good luck! Following.
    • Spazzaments
      Spazzaments
      Bronze
      GL Sir! I wish you all the best :-)
    • InHansFootsteps
      InHansFootsteps
      Basic
      Thanks for the support everyone :f_drink:

@Rains7 Just one questions: Do you also have a coach or are you trying it on your own???

I'm on my own, I've been coached before and have a reasonable game, but I've never played anything consistently above NL10 unlike Hans when he started his challenge, so it's going to be a ride.

Starting today
      I have two €5 euro tickets in my Betfair account so have decided to try to launch this challenge with those to save depositing any money. If that doesn't work out will deposit some money tomorrow and get started over Easter weekend.

Spent some time watching some Buddhist videos today (I'm not a Buddhist) but trying to get into a really focused and productive mental state and they were useful. Lots about accepting life how it is which will be useful for dealing with variance etc.

I'm trying to make the best decisions at every juncture with this challenge to give it the best chance of success. So that started with deciding what to buy into with the 2x5 euro tickets.

There was a good looking 2k GTD MTT but that's pure gambling of course with 2 buyins. So I've decided to go in for 2x6 man SNGs.

Still a gamble with 2 tickets but before I switched my focus to cash 6max SNG was my main game, so probably the best chance I have of converting the tickets to cash for use in the challenge.

Off to play these tickets now, will be back shortly to report how that went. :f_cool:
    • InHansFootsteps
      InHansFootsteps
      Basic
      Couldn't have asked for a better start which is nice, took two 1sts with the two tickets

Pleased for a couple of reasons, first I have a bit of a bankroll for 2nl which is nice, but also in the first game I was frustrated and a guy who kept stealing my blind, bvb by shoving, but resisted the urge to call light (just about!) - and went on to win it, so that was nice.

Second game, we got to headsup and he had a 4:1 chip lead, but i battled through and scooped the lot which is nice.

So now the real work starts - first evening of 2nl. Just about to delete my database so it's reset for the challenge.

Bankroll: £29.74

• metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hello InHansFootsteps,

Welcome to the 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' bankroll challenge. we will be looking forward to your first update which you should post by Monday of each week in Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread.

Congratulations with your wins .
      I look forward to reading how you get on in your challenge and future post.

My regards.

Matt
    • InHansFootsteps
      InHansFootsteps
      Basic
      Thanks Matt

Day 1 Update

All in all today was a good day even if it feels like i've just been punched in the face a few times.

Started the day with 10 euros, and finished at £30.18 so not too bad.

The punched face part however sucked. The actual cash play today was horrible. Just couldn't get it going. I broke even for ages running about 4 buy-ins below ev (nothing i know, but it was a bit frustrating none the less) 2.8k hands in i was breakeven, and then in the space of the next 800 hands I won 5 buy ins, and lost 5 buy ins. Then decided to call it a day as i was really tilted.

Focus for tomorrow is to, continue working on the mental game so i dont feel like crying (ok that's an overstatement but you get the point) when i breakeven for a day of 2nl cash play... Definately some entitlement issues to work on.

Anyway stats for day 1:
      Played 2x6man SNGs, took 2x1st places = £22 profit.
      Cash: Played 3.4k hands p/l : +$0.68

Got to keep some perspective though, not a bad day when i consider the 2 sngs.

Tomorrow I am going to work harder.
    • InHansFootsteps
      InHansFootsteps
      Basic
      Day 2

Not much to report today, I experimented with some 6max+ which is very soft but I decided the variance is too high especially as their smallest limit is 4 euro. I have been thinking a lot about how to become a machine at this game, I want to MASTER the emotional side of playing, so that i'm unphased no matter what and a perfect executioner of my strategy, this is hard for me as i'm quite an emotionally directed person. Anyway i'll speak more on this another time.

For now just updating, bankroll is at: £38.30

Tomorrow it's back to 2nl and i'm going to be working hard to become a real grinding expert (i.e. can grind volume and play well, and do it for long period of time) so many different things to master with poker, it's a very great game.

Have a nice Easter!
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      Nice!
      Having a 400% bankroll boost is pretty sick...
      The only thing this thread is missing is bewbs :s_cool:
      The Buddhist part seems interesting. Have you tried meditation, astral projection, etc?

GL!
    • InHansFootsteps
      InHansFootsteps
      Basic
      @ nsavov hey thanks, yes when you look at it like that, it's pretty great start! Thanks for the reminder, need to look at that, and less the pure money aspect of the small bankroll at the moment. :f_drink:
      I guess I'll have to go and investigate to find some bewbs now... thanks :f_love:
      I have tried meditation but only managed to meditate for one day, will try again at some point for sure. Astral projection, i heard of it, but never knew what it was, tell me more!

Day 3 early evening update

I haven't played any more since my last post, as I was watching some NBA games yesterday so didn't go to sleep until 7am, and woke up at 2pm (I had been awake for about 20 hours prior to this). I'm enjoying listening to some music lately that I haven't heard in a while, because I've been downloading some music from artists I like to listen to while grinding. So far I have Coldplay and Verve albums, I totally forgot how much I enjoyed listening to Coldplay's music, even the stuff back from 2000. In my youth :D

I wanted to share my vision statement for poker I made which I'm going to refer to each time I play for the time being, starting before my next session today.

I play poker because I enjoy playing poker. What I enjoy the most is overcoming myself at the tables, for I am always really my only real opponent. I recognize that while technical skill and analysis are important to the game, they are secondary to emotional mastery.

I am in complete control of my emotions when I play. I no longer refer to bad players as ‘fish’ mentally, I refer to them as ‘bad players’ this helps me to remember that when they win pots they are still bad players and if I continue to play well against them I will eventually come out on top.

I am impervious to the outcome of individual hands at the table. I know how to play and I play in such a way that I will profit over time. I know this and remember it every single time the outcome of a hand happens.

Poker is something I have dedicated the majority of the next 12 months of my life to. I am going to be playing poker every day. For many hours. The quality of experience I have when playing is therefore really important because this is my life energy and time that I am using. I will remember this when I am playing so that at the slightest indication of any negative emotion I remember that the quality of my experience is just as important as any result in any hand.

Every day I will play well. I will enjoy my edge over the field. The art and beauty of poker is knowing that you have an edge. The biggest edge I can empower myself with every time I play is the emotional edge. When others tilt I will smile. When others open their ranges up because they are impatient I will smile and continue playing my A game.

I recognize that patience is the hallmark of great poker champions. The daily changes in my bankroll are not related to how good I feel about my game. I feel good about my game because I know I play well.

I realize that if some poker god came down to me while I am playing and said to me, I can give you 4x your current bankroll, over the next 3 days, but you will play every hand as a dog, and you will get it in bad but profit, but that in the future you will continue to play bad hands as a dog without this god mode protection, I realize if this option was open to me I would not like to take it. What this means is that it doesn’t matter if I win money, if I play bad I lose. If I get my money in bad I will lose, maybe not today but tomorrow. Likewise if I get my money in good I will win, maybe not today but tomorrow.

I am grateful to be in a place and time in the world where I have the great opportunity to be able to play poker. While people in other less fortunate parts of the world are fighting for their daily existence, I have food, shelter, and a computer which allows me to play online poker.

I am fortunate and I remember this each day.

These truths are important to me, and I will remember as many of them as possible, as often as I remember while I am playing at the table.

Eventually I will be rewarded with great results, and the freedoms that this will grant me. For now I will keep my sights on the simple step ahead which is simply to play excellent poker every time I sit down to play at the table.

I think this will help me remember what's important when I play. Looking forward to getting some play in over the Easter weekend. Have a great Friday night!
    • InHansFootsteps
      InHansFootsteps
      Basic
      Day 3 Update

Finished playing for today now, and I'm actually really pleased with how things went. The vision statement did a great job, and for the first time in my poker playing experience (~7 years) I genuinely felt good after a series of bad beats towards the end of the session, I was shrugging them off, and then all of a sudden thought, this is excellent, you are winning mental game, and I just felt great for a few moments. I want to continue working on this, would be awesome if it shows up every session.

I ran into a massive bad player towards the end of the session and he just pretty much stacked me relentlessly i had posted the hands here, but because of my status the card graphics don't display in the post, so I've had to take them out.

I think maybe i need to be taking less high variance spots against these complete droolers, 89/60 players.

I got it in pf as a favourite with A8s, and also stacked off on the turn with third pair (also as a favorite) - both time i thought i was in front and i was, but - these are high variance plays, and i should probably cut them out.

How did we do...

Stats:
      Played 3.8k hands

P/L: + $3.88

I also won a few euros (about 8) from some freerolls (which I didn't have to play they are just all in freerolls, and you get tickets into them for playing cash, and my volume means i'm getting max tickets which is nice).

Bankroll: £48.02
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      Nice blog, I'll keep an eye out on this one! :f_thumbsup:
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Good Progress so far $18.28 up on your bankroll :f_thumbsup:
      Spot on also with your Vision Statement. I found that mine needed adapting as I progressed in the year.
      Thanks also for dropping by and reading my blog. I look forward to reading future your posts.
      Keep up the good work :f_drink:
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Also just noted you have tried to add a link to your blog in the signatures .
      My Blog
      To get rid off all the unwanted code and just display the My Blog as a link you will need to deactivate BBcode in the signature options.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
      Good luck at the tables.

Regards

Matt