Witch poker format should i play?

• FrozenElf
      FrozenElf
      Silver
      Hello,

I am not new to poker, i have played for several years on and off, last time i played i played for about 6 months at 6max tables, i managed to build a bankroll from $150 - $300 with the help of rake back bonus's, unfortunately I had to withdraw my money due to struggling to pay the bills.

Anyway, I have deposited $34 and would like to build up a bankroll quickly i feel NLHE is not the way to go, maybe it is but i dont know so really witch of these games are the best choice for building a bankroll the fastest way.

Tournements
      NLHE
      FLHE
      Hyper turbo SNG STT
      turbo SNG STT
      SNG STT

Im thinking about tournaments

Regards
  • 7 replies
    • la55i
      la55i
      You are not considering omaha? =)

I would still go with NLHE with that bankroll. I have understood that most of those formats you listed require a bigger bankroll. Variance is huge especially at those which have a word "turbo" in it. Or am I wrong? Tournament players usually have to play many tournaments before winning big. And you already have experience at NLHE. Playing tournaments is a bit different and you would have to learn some new things and adapt. It would be better to try those when you have bigger bankroll.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Hi FrozenElf,

It's amazing to finally see you back here, how are you doing?

About your question, if you are mainly looking for a bankroll builder, I would probably agree with la55i that NLHE is the best choice, simply because it has the lowest variance. Tournament poker in general tends to have a higher variance than cash games, which also means that you should ideally have a bigger bankroll in order to take the swings.

I'm not sure about FLHE, I believe it is pretty much considered a dying format these days, and it should be impossible to even find a good amount of traffic for it outside of Stars. But I see you already got some good advice in your other thread.

Other options for you might be Spin&Go's, or possibly even Omaha, as suggested by la55i. Some people don't like Spin&Go's because they believe it feels to much like a lottery, but that doesn't mean that it's not beatable. About Omaha, it should once again be mentioned that the variance is pretty high, and it might take a while to get used to this format.

Also, you mentioned that your goal is to "build up a bankroll quickly". Poker is always more like a marathon rather than a sprint, no matter which format you play. Your old winrate of 4bb/100 at NL10 is actually considered quite solid if you can maintain it - in fact, anything higher than 5bb/100 is usually considered "crushing" (in the long term, of course). Obviously, we would all like to make as much money from poker as possible, but I don't think it should be your only motivation, you need to enjoy the game for what it is if you want to have a long-lasting career.

Feel free to hit me up on Skype if you want to discuss any of this.
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Welcome back FronzenElf :f_drink:

Looking forward to reading how you get on with poker this time around. I think NLHE is the best choice to get a bankroll going. And if on stars use the star coins to enter satellites for tourneys.

Regards

Matt
    • cardinhand
      cardinhand
      Basic
      cash games NLHE or omaha would be a good place to start,
      micro stakes:f_drink:
    • FrozenElf
      FrozenElf
      Silver
      Hey all thanks for the reply's, its nice to see some familiar faces, i hope all is well and your achieving your poker goals.

Originally posted by la55i
      You are not considering omaha? =)

Haha, isn't, im not sure i could handle those swings here, but you know i might try play for fun and take it from there.

Originally posted by Harrier88
      Hi FrozenElf,

It's amazing to finally see you back here, how are you doing?

About your question, if you are mainly looking for a bankroll builder, I would probably agree with la55i that NLHE is the best choice, simply because it has the lowest variance. Tournament poker in general tends to have a higher variance than cash games, which also means that you should ideally have a bigger bankroll in order to take the swings.

I'm not sure about FLHE, I believe it is pretty much considered a dying format these days, and it should be impossible to even find a good amount of traffic for it outside of Stars. But I see you already got some good advice in your other thread.

Other options for you might be Spin&Go's, or possibly even Omaha, as suggested by la55i. Some people don't like Spin&Go's because they believe it feels to much like a lottery, but that doesn't mean that it's not beatable. About Omaha, it should once again be mentioned that the variance is pretty high, and it might take a while to get used to this format.

Also, you mentioned that your goal is to "build up a bankroll quickly". Poker is always more like a marathon rather than a sprint, no matter which format you play. Your old winrate of 4bb/100 at NL10 is actually considered quite solid if you can maintain it - in fact, anything higher than 5bb/100 is usually considered "crushing" (in the long term, of course). Obviously, we would all like to make as much money from poker as possible, but I don't think it should be your only motivation, you need to enjoy the game for what it is if you want to have a long-lasting career.

Feel free to hit me up on Skype if you want to discuss any of this.
      Hey harrier, glad to see your still around, i think i'm just looking for a shortcut back up to my $300, it quite frustrating having to start from NL2 when i was beating NL10, i am thinking about playing zoom since i would just like volume to get out of NL2 quickly, i do love this game i dont just play for money, in fact i never really made any money from poker its always been for fun, most the time, i ended up sitting with my entire bankroll and losing my deposits, it was only the last time i took bankroll management serious, but as i said i had to withdraw my money.

Id be happy to add you on skype pm me your skype name and ill send a request.

Originally posted by metalmonkey80
      Welcome back FronzenElf :f_drink:

Looking forward to reading how you get on with poker this time around. I think NLHE is the best choice to get a bankroll going. And if on stars use the star coins to enter satellites for tourneys.

Regards

Matt
      Hello Matt,

Its good to know your still here too, i noticed in your blog you have a bigger bankroll now to when i was last active :f_drink: , are you playing NL25?

I like this idea you have presented, play NLHE and tournaments with stars coin, it feels weird calling it that ive always known it as FPP :f_biggrin: .

I guess i will make a new blog over the next few days

Good luck everyone!
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FrozenElf
      You should still have it, we already talked about it last year. Can you check your PMs?
    • FrozenElf
      FrozenElf
      Silver
      Originally posted by Harrier88
      Originally posted by FrozenElf
      You should still have it, we already talked about it last year. Can you check your PMs?
      Added