Saywhat's Climb to poker pro

• saywhat
      saywhat
      Bronze
      Hello, I have finally decided to start my own blog about my poker career. I have said i was going to do this about a thousand times and since i finally have figured out how to use the Pokerstrategy Elephant, i am overwhelmed with joy and can share my ups and downs with others and keep an eye on my performance. I intend to update this daily as that is usually when i play.

I am currently playing on PartyPoker @ .5/1 FR and usually play at 2 tables. I am going to show you my stats for 2008 since i have joined with PS, i do believe that the first couple of days are not included as my hand history log was only kept for 30 days and have just recently (as of yesterday) figured out how to use PS Elephant.

FL .25/.5 Ring Games
      Hands-4031
      VP$IP-25.9
      HandRange-28.1%
      Preflop Raise-11.5%
      Aggressionfactor-1.1
      The next 3 stats i am not sure what they mean yet but i am sure they are important :)
      WtSDwsF-40.3%
      W$@SD-53%
      W$wsF-35.2%
      BB/100-5.5
      Amount$-55.62
      Amount BB-222.5

FL .5/1 Ring Games
      Hands-3155
      VP$IP-26.0
      Handrange-27.1%
      Preflop Raise-14.0%
      Aggressionfactor-1.3
      WtSDwsF-44.8%
      W$@SD-48.4%
      W$wsF-38.8%
      BB/100-0.6
      Amount$-8.87
      Amount BB-17.7

My current BR is $230.

Hope to see you at the tables

saywhat27 :D

I have also withdrawn $100 and bought myself something frilly :)
  • 67 replies
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      hi saywhat;

I have good advice for you: FOLLOW BRM ;) You have only 230 BB for fullring game and that's much less then recommended minimum (but I believe you know it..). There's no reason to rush, so I'd move down to 0.25/0.5 until I reach $300 to move back to 0.5/1, if I were you..

Nice to see new FL blog; keep it updated and it can be very helpful for you in the long run =)

Good luck!
    • saywhat
      saywhat
      Bronze
      Hello again, here is an update from today. I did play .5/1 FR and i do know better as i am a little short of my recommended 300bb. ?(

Today i played 433 hands
      BB/100-17.80
      Win/Loss-$34.14

Total Bank Roll-$252

Going to do some reading on the strategy later today and take some notes on some players and my overall play.

See you at the tables

saywhat27
    • saywhat
      saywhat
      Bronze
      Well it has been a long day today, quite the grind. Also played the 1.5k New Player freerole. 5000 entries and i placed 50th and made $2.80. I also played 2 tables at the .5/1FR games. Played for about 5 hrs today, should have taken a break and made myself something to eat, very important as i ended up with a bad headache.
      Well here are the stats for today

Hands Played-650
      Win/Loss-$12.53
      BB/100-3.86

Total Bankroll-$276.56

Goodluck everyone see you on the tables.
    • saywhat
      saywhat
      Bronze
      Well finished yet another day, played in another freerole as well. It was the 10k from PartyPoker, definitly did not have my A game for this, went out in the middle of the pack(903rd) was just over 1800 players.

Posted some sample hands, always trying to get better will review them later. Still trying to figure everything out with PS Elephant, really enjoy having this at my leisure, want to figure out how to copy the graphs and when i do will post it up once a week.

Keep me focused.

Also finally have enough PartyPoker Points and just purchased a $100 bonus, need to get 50pts to receive a $10 bonus, will probably have it completed by the end of the week. :D

Well here are the stats for the day.

Hands Played-628
      Win/Loss-$15.33
      BB/100-4.88

Bankroll-$286.89
      See ya at the tables
    • saywhat
      saywhat
      Bronze
      Recieved $10 of my $100 bonus pretty happy, every extra dollar in the bank gets me closer to my firt million. I also played a little no limit today as i was trying out a new program called pokertool, good program but i cannot seem to get it to work for the Fixed Limit games and since i use a laptop without a mouse my finger tip is getting sore. Poor me X( .
      I did end up making like $3 on the NL table, it was .15/.25NL.
      I also decided to play another tournament is was a $9buy-in on PartyPoker with 5K guaranteed.
      Final Result out of 822 players i finished 63rd and the payout was $16.44, happy and also a little disappointed with the result.

Here are the results from my Fixed Limit Games

Win/Loss:$11.78
      BB/100:8.25
      Hands:428

Total Bankroll:$316.11

A little lower on the hands played today as i was trying to figure out the pokertool.

Will see you on the tables and Goodluck when we meet.
    • saywhat
      saywhat
      Bronze
      Didn't play as much today as i had some things i had to take care of, and spend some quality time with my spouse. I played a little on the .5/1FL sh tables and had some tough hands take a beating. Within the first 30 hands i had almost given away my first buy-in of $25, I lost with top 2pr on the flop to a flopped set, and then lost on a flopped set over set and the third one which almost made me lose my attitude was top pair with Ace kicked which eventually turned into trips to a full house. Very rough start, ended up buying in for another $25 and ended up having a negative of $20 for my time on the 6player table. Ended going to the tried and true FR games and recovered most of the loses. Intend on getting back in the ring again and seeing if the results are a little bit better next time.

Also i cleared another $10 on my buy a bonus for a total of $20 total collected.

Well here are the finishing results for the day.

Win/Loss:$2.31
      BB/100:5.88
      Hands:378

Total Bankroll:$328.42

Goodluck everyone and hope to see you at the tables.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hey saywhat

Nice to see you going full on and playing lots of the true believers game. :)

My question echos opal99s; what BRM are you playing? Or are you winging it? ;)

My personal view is that you are getting a bit frisky playing SH $.5/$1 with only 325BB! I guess you have your reasons, but SH is pretty variance heavy and you have to know when to let it go if you've decided on a much more aggressive BRM.

Remember, these are learning limits you're playing. Give yourself the best chance of building a bankroll without decimating it over a couple of variance heavy sessions.

Whatever you decide best of luck! :D
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Originally posted by saywhat
      FL .25/.5 Ring Games
      Hands-4031
      VP$IP-25.9
      HandRange-28.1%
      Preflop Raise-11.5%
      Aggressionfactor-1.1
      The next 3 stats i am not sure what they mean yet but i am sure they are important :)
      WtSDwsF-40.3%
      W$@SD-53%
      W$wsF-35.2%
      BB/100-5.5
      Amount$-55.62
      Amount BB-222.5

FL .5/1 Ring Games
      Hands-3155
      VP$IP-26.0
      Handrange-27.1%
      Preflop Raise-14.0%
      Aggressionfactor-1.3
      WtSDwsF-44.8%
      W$@SD-48.4%
      W$wsF-38.8%
      BB/100-0.6
      Amount$-8.87
      Amount BB-17.7
      WtSDwsF = went to showdown when saw flop
      W$@SD = won money at showdown
      W$wsF = won money when saw flop

Check out the gold article on stats SH.
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/fixed-limit/1111/
    • saywhat
      saywhat
      Bronze
      Hi opal and Salamiand

Thanks for replying on my blog. I finally figured out what the 3 stats meant, it took me awhile as when i posted that message i had just started using Elephant and couldn't figure out where to find what they had meant, but i am now quite abit more proficient with the program and have started using the program to up my game some more. Thanks for replying to what they actually mean, every bit is helping me get better.

Opal i don't normally play 6 handed on the FL, i kind of dabble in it. I will usually play just 1 table if i do, and will only give up 1 buy-in, which is $25, and if i lose it i run back to play the FR games where i am more comfortable, as i have noticed the swings can be a little crazy and my weak heart can't take that just yet.

I intend to start playing full time on the 6 handed game when i do reach at least the 500BB, getting close, the reason i have been testing the water occassionally is so that when i do go that route full time, i don't go on tilt because of the swings. Thanks for taking an interest in how i do, it is all greatly appreciated and will keep this updated regularly,

See you at the tables and goodluck.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by saywhat
      Opal i don't normally play 6 handed on the FL, i kind of dabble in it. I will usually play just 1 table if i do, and will only give up 1 buy-in, which is $25, and if i lose it i run back to play the FR games where i am more comfortable, as i have noticed the swings can be a little crazy and my weak heart can't take that just yet.

I intend to start playing full time on the 6 handed game when i do reach at least the 500BB, getting close, the reason i have been testing the water occassionally is so that when i do go that route full time, i don't go on tilt because of the swings. Thanks for taking an interest in how i do, it is all greatly appreciated and will keep this updated regularly,

See you at the tables and goodluck.
      HI;
      when I first talked about BRM, you had only 230 BB for fullring, so I didn't mean SH. I know you're aware of BRM rules etc. so I have nothing else to say about that today as you have quite heatlhy bankroll now.
      The only thing I'm curious is wheter you play 0.5/1 SH or lower limit? I wouldn't suggest you to test water on 0.5/1 SH yet (because of obvious BRM ;) ). If you want to try and learn something about SH, go one limit lower and try it there with 500bb+ BR - this way you're not risking big part of your money. Sure, you lose only $25 but you can practise on lower limit and when you lose 25 BB buyin, it's stil only 12.5 BB on your regular game :)

These occasional shots can be good for you confidence + for gaining first experiences + getting feeling how it really works, but there's no reason to start them before you get recommended 500 BB.
      So my simple advice: Practise SH on 0.25/0.5 or wait until you reach 500 BB mark.

btw: There's nowhere said, you have to move to SH as soon as you reach $500, so you can reach $500 ant start taking shots on 0.5/1 SH and still play FR untill you'll be selfconfident enough to completely move on 6max games.

Good luck and see at SH tables soon!
    • qwery1
      qwery1
      Bronze
      There is no SH under $0.5/1 on party.

I have exactly opposite attitude. I have $207 now and play only $0.10/0.20 on 4 tables. I am not so sure about my flop, turn and river play and I want pay less for my mistakes.

BM is everything for me. We all have lot of stress in regular life, I dont want be stressed with poker too because I am short of money.

for me:
      500bb for fullring
      1.000bb for sh

Be bless and win a lot :-)
    • saywhat
      saywhat
      Bronze
      Thought i was finally going to have a really good day, everything was going well, firing on all cylinders and then the poker gods exacted their revenge. I really shouldn't be all that upset but it went from a really good day to barely kept my head above the water. Nasty game poker can be, but i know if it wasn't for those players that make really stupid calls and suck out, then my bankroll would not be where it is now. Done my gripping :D .

In response opal as qwery has stated their is no SH under .5/ on party, so that is the minimum i can test the water on but i only do it occassionally.

Well here are the totals for today:
      Win/Loss:$7.66
      BB/100:1.17
      Hands:1309

Also have now received $50 of my bonus and now my BR stands at $366.08

See you at the tables and Goodluck to all
    • saywhat
      saywhat
      Bronze
      Today i decided to play in a tournament, the buy-in was the biggest i have played in, it was $22. I had been playing FR games for about 3-4hrs and i was up $24 so i gave it a shot. The other reason i decided to play was that it was 5k guaranteed and there was only 239 players, so when i added up the buy-in dollars (239*20=4780) so there was an additional $220 in the total pot which in my opinion makes it alittle better for my odds of getting paid.
      Unfortunately i was knocked out in 59th and only the top 30 were paid. I was in the CO with 5600 in chips with 55, and no one had entered the pot, I raised to 2400 and the small blind went all in with 5550 chips, so i called. He had A8us, he flopped top pair, and i flopped trips, flop was 853, he ended up with runner,runner flush. :( Next time.

Well here are the stats for today on the FR games:
      Win/Loss:$32.03
      BB/100:6.68
      Hands:959

I also have now completed $80 of my bonus and my BR is now at $402.61.

Until tomorrow

See you at the tables and Goodluck to all.
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      That's a good finish in the tourney but I don't think that was a good call (or push by the villian). If the blinds were at 1200 +antes then it may have been a direct push, but 55 is either way behind or flipping against any action.

Good luck in the next one!
    • saywhat
      saywhat
      Bronze
      I am going to grumble a little again today. I played another $22 tournament, there was a $500 bonus added to it, so i thought i would give it another try as i was given a bad beat after flopping a set in that tournament.
      Well guess what the same freakin thing happened again today, had pocket 9's utg raised to 4x BB, guy in 2nd middle position called me, flopped 4A9, i bet, he raised me, i went all in as the flop as there was 2 clubs also on the flop, he called and sure enough a club showed up and he had 10J suited in clubs. @%$#@%$^
      I should have quite after that for the day, as MR. Tilt showed up. :evil:

So i played a step tournament on PP and just to help me along my AA got busted by 10's to knock me out. :evil:

So that's my rants for today, all in all it has been a pretty good week so far, i did have a 7 day winning streak going up until today, so all things considered not bad. I also cleared my $100 buy-a bonus, i am probably going to make a deposit soon because i want the PS vip bonus offered on PP, see if i can spare $500 need another bonus to work for.

Well here are the stats for today:
      Win/Loss:$-25.44
      BB/100:-5.83
      Hands:899

Total BR $366.17
    • saywhat
      saywhat
      Bronze
      I have a bit to catch up on. Haven't played for a couple of days, needed to take a break. I did play for a very short period, maybe 400 hands and things didn't go so well. I did get 9 starting hands of pocket A's or K's which i thought was really good for only playing 400 hands but unfortunatly they did not pan out very well, lost 8 of them so i thought i should quit for the day.
      So instead i withdrew $200 so i could buy myself some new video games to relieve some of the stress. I bought Fable2 and am going to buy another one but the name has eluded me, at the time they had no stock of the game at 2 different locations.

I did manage to play a few hands today at the lower limit as my BR no longer supports the one i have been playing at. I am now back to .25/.5 FR games. I was playing at 2 tables and only played 129 hands.

Here are the stats for today:
      Win/Loss: $11.40
      BB/100: 35.35
      Hands: 129

Bankroll: $161.47

My goals for this week are to get my BR to $200 and do some more studying of my play for the previous week, and play at least in 2 tournaments of $10 or less.

Goodluck and hope to see you at the tables.
    • saywhat
      saywhat
      Bronze
      Finished for another day, it just amazes me how bad some players are on the limit i am now playing at PP. I am not complaining, i just can't believe it sometimes. It's usually ends up making me very happy, as they continually just throw money into the pot :D .
      Today i played 4 tables at the .25/.5 FL, went fairly well. The tables got a little crazy at times, guys capping it preflop and then betting all the way with nothing, crazy stuff.
      Well here are the results for today, hope to have lots of these days :P

Win/Loss: $29.90
      BB/100: 17.61
      Hands: 679

I played for a total of 4hrs, decided to try and keep track of how many hours i play now, just for kicks.

BR: $185.62
    • saywhat
      saywhat
      Bronze
      I am feeling pretty good, riding a bit of an upswing, definitely like when that happens. I played in a $11 MTT today, as that it was 1 of my goals for the week, i want to play 2 $10 MTT. It was a $4k guarantee, with 391 players, so it would have only been $3910, so a bonus 90 was up for grabs.
      Well out of the 391 players, 40 were paid and i managed to finish 23rd, it only paid $26 but still very happy with the outcome. Hopefully next one is better. :P

I also played up to 4 tables in FL, i only played 2 during the tournament, and ended up with a little bit more cash as well.

So here are the stats for the day:

Win/Loss: $33.90
      BB/100: 23.50
      Hands : 577

So you can definitely see over the past 2 days have been enjoying quite an upswing. I played for about 3.5-4h on FL .25/.5

BR getting back up there at $234.27, hopefully be back up to .5/1 by early next week. :D
    • saywhat
      saywhat
      Bronze
      It has been a couple of days since i have updated my poker undertakings, i need to get back into the swing of playing on a regular basis. I did end up playing today, definitely not my finest poker hours. I started playing well and was sucked out on in the first few hands and it did put me on tilt and I am sure that if you are reading this you know what happens after that.
      So need to do a few extra hours of studying this week on my playing, and read a few more articles. Definitely helps me get my game face on.

Need to focus on the goals: getting my bankroll to $300 so i can start playing on the next higher level, go back and reread some of the earlier articles in the bronze and silver level, and would also like to read some articles on the sit n go tournaments as i would like to play some of the step tournys that they have on Party Poker.

Well here are the stats for today: X(

Win/Loss:-$42.13
      BB/100: -13.88
      Hands: 930

Bankroll now at $203.16