A New Beginning

• Nurtos
      Nurtos
      Bronze
      Well hello, my name is Nurtos and I am 18 years young. I figured I would start this blog with an introduction about me and my goals as a person outside of poker as this kind of relates to later in the piece. Firstly, I am from Adelaide, Australia, however, I was originally from Darwin and for those who know these places you could basically say I am your typical Aussie bogan. I recently finished my Year 12 education and am taking a gap year before heading to University in 2017 in the hope of studying Medicine and then eventually becoming a Sports Physician. I also hope to travel later in the year with my girlfriend before heading to University.

I first started playing Poker 3 weeks ago, after a quick read of the rules I deposited $10 into Pokerstars and came out $38 richer (wow! :f_cool: ) after 2 days of playing on the 0.01c/0.02c cash tables and some Spin and Go's ranging from 0.25c to $1. So learning and becoming better wasn't a big priority for me as I was winning.

However, progress has kind of stalled in the last week and I haven't made any money, but mind you I haven't lost any. Being from Australia, a lot of my friends aren't all keen on poker, everyone prefers Black Jack or just betting on the footy or horses. So for about a week I was stuck, not knowing what to do or who to turn to for advice, and when I searched for articles or videos on the Internet I didn't know where to start, I felt very confused. Somehow after chatting with someone on the micro stakes table (can't remember who) I was linked to this site. Whilst I found this site extremely helpful, I was still stuck with no idea on where to start to help improve my game.

Thus starting this blog came as a good idea to help keep me accountable and as a way of helping me keep track of my progress, but also get ideas and thoughts from people on here who have been in a similar position to me and help me get started. But also, this blog will also help me set and keep track of my goals as well as what training I have undertaken so I can ensure I am maximizing my learning. However, I think this will also help me as getting into Medicine is my main goal and Poker is something on the side as a hobby but I can also use this blog to keep track of my study for my MedEntry test.

Basically, my next post tomorrow will have my short-term goals as well as some results from some MTT's I play tonight. However, for a start, I'd like to know. Where should I start studying as a brand new player? I enjoy playing micro stakes full ring cash games, SNG's but my favourite are MTT's.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy my blog as I begin my progression from a total beginner to no longer being hopeless. Will try to post daily, If not every 2-3 days.
  • 6 replies
    • Nurtos
      Nurtos
      Bronze
      Poker Update

So, after playing some NL2 last night, I finally realised what my major problem was. I found I was limping too much and calling too many 3 bets, particularly when OOP. Thus I decided on starting my study with working on my Opening Ranges, as well as my Calling Ranges and where I should be looking to Re-Raise, particularly when I've been 3-bet as I have a tendency to call too often. I noted down ranges for EP, MP, LP and the Blinds. Whilst I understand these ranges are only a guide and shouldn't be strictly followed, I was worried that by following these ranges or basing my opening bets around them I'd be particularly tight. However, when I played around 100 hands of NL2 on Pokerstars, I realised I was still playing the same percentage of hands as I was previously before. I managed to win around $1 in those 100 hands. These ranges also helped me with guessing my opponents ranges as well, I managed to correctly guess 2 of my opponents hands and correctly fold and not lose my money. I think for many beginner players wanting to play Cash Games, starting with Opening Hand Ranges significantly helps, as you can begin reading opponents and better enable yourself to make correct decisions post-flop.

However, I found I was still making some incorrect decisions Post-Flop. I find that I sometimes over-bet and then cannot extract value from my opponents. I'm also finding that I cannot correctly size bets in which I want my opponent to fold. Such as having the best hand after the flop, but my opponent has a good chance at hitting his hands on the turn or river. I found I lost several pots on the Turn or River from betting to small or whether it's just from me not understanding my hand equity and making stupid raises when I should just be checking!!! . Thus I have come to the decision that I am going to look at my Post-Flop decision making over the coming days, such as the sizing of my bets as well as getting a better understand of hand equity so I can learn whether I'm in a good position to call, raise or check.

Life Update

I figured I would keep myself accountable on here to ensure I am keeping up to date with my study to get into Medicine. This morning I finished off the last third of my exam and reviewed it whilst also attempting a Problem Solving Drill. Whilst I wasn't very successful in my Problem Solving Drill achieving a mark of 10/20 I found silly mistakes (similar to my poker game :f_cool: ) which can easily be fixed up and allow me to achieve a higher score. Each week I plan on attempting parts of an exam and then progressing to the stage where I can sit down and complete the exam within the 3 hour time limit. Whilst for the remainder of the week I will focus on tweaking areas of weakness such as my Problem Solving ability.

That's my daily post. Good luck at the tables for everyone who reads this! :f_drink:
    • dredgos
      dredgos
      Bronze
      Hey man, interesting reading your blog post as I'm also new to the game and am starting off my learning journey much like you so I'll definitely follow this blog to see your progress.

I have been studying some content here and have also been looking at ranges for preflop play. Are you using the ranges given in the beginners course for your guideline? Are you playing zoom or normal?
    • Nurtos
      Nurtos
      Bronze
      Hey Dredgos!

I found a youtube video from about a year ago which was extremely useful and I noted these ranges and am using them! I'm also playing just your standard NL2 full ring games. I find as a beginner these tables give me more time to judge my hands range as well as my opponents range and thus enable me to make better decisions both pre and post-flop. This helps me reduce my losses while I'm learning and experimenting while I play.

Obviously the goal is to eventually progress to 6-max and Zoom poker, however I will do this when I feel I can think more quickly about my hands and opponents hands to minimise my losses.
    • Nurtos
      Nurtos
      Bronze
      Poker Update

So, today I decided to review my starting ranges from each position and I am pleased with my progress. I am better at knowing which hands to play from each position and preventing getting myself into awkward situations both pre and post flop. I'm obviously going to keep reviewing this and it is essential I have a good knowledge of ranges.

After completing my study, I decided to have a look at HUD's and decide on which one I would choose. I opened a trial for both Holdem Manager 2 and Poker Tracker 4. I found Poker Tracker 4 to be much more enjoyable to use and have thus decided that I will make the purchase and use this HUD. This then lead me to creating a challenge for myself. I have decided that I shall deposit $10 into 888poker or Pokerstars and work my way up on NL2 to $60 which I will then use to make my purchase of the small stakes version of Poker Tracker 4.

Doing the math, and considering I shall start this challenge tomorrow, I therefore have 29 days to complete the challenge. Thus meaning I need to earn a little more then $2 a day to achieve this. I think this is fairly easy challenge but for a beginner I'm looking forward to it and I can then look and establishing harder and longer goals/challenges.

The next step in my study is to study HUD stats and find the significance of what they mean as well as stats that stand out and I can use to exploit my opponents. I will also be looking at equity to ensure I am making correct decisions post-flop in regards to cheeking, folding or raising.

That's all from me today and good luck at the tables everyone! :f_drink:
    • dredgos
      dredgos
      Bronze
      Good luck with the challenge to win your way to a PT4 license - that's a cool little idea to keep you motivated
    • Nurtos
      Nurtos
      Bronze
      Poker Update

Well, it's been nearly 2 weeks since I updated this blog and I'm glad I've managed to find some time to write something up.

So basically in the last 2 weeks my pre-flop play has improved out of sight. I can adapt to every kind of table I play on. I've found I am able to adapt to each table I am playing on. Some tables when I'm playing with more fishy players I have a wider opening range whilst when playing against some pretty solid regs I can close my range down and play better hands.

I have now moved into studying my post-flop play and I have been looking specifically at the mathematics of poker. Particularly pot odds, expected value as well as equity. Whilst I had some knowledge of this, I never really had an in-depth understanding and it has really helped take my game to the next level. Pot Odds and also Implied Odds have really helped improve my decision making, I use to be a real NIT and would fold post-flop if I didn't hit. But now with this knowledge I have been calling more on draws and hitting them! Which has been great as it has lead to an increase in my bankroll!

I figure I will keep working on my hand reading ranges and how to work out my equity quickly during play. I feel this will take my game up another level and if I earn enough money might help me to move up stakes from NL2 to NL5.

Challenge Update

So from my previous post I have been using Poker Tracker 4 trial and trying to earn the amount of money required to buy it on 888 poker playing NL2. I have around 17 days left on my trial and currently need around $25 more before I have enough to purchase it outright! I will look at posting my graph later in the week!

That's all from me today and good luck at the tables everyone! :f_drink: