Starting out

• dredgos
      dredgos
      Bronze
      Hello everyone

I'm a relative newbie to this world so I just hope people could set me up on my journey will a solid start! I like playing MTT tournaments but I also don't always have time to play them so I want to learn how to play cash games too.

My plan will be to play NL2 when I don't have a long session and then play in a tournament when I have more time such as weekends. I have Asabans MTT thread which has been a godsend for learning and I'm using the free course here for cash games NLHE. I'm probably only able to commit between 5-10 hours per week to poker of which I want to split up roughly 1/4 of my time learning (reading/watching streams or vids) and 3/4 playing to put into practice what I have learnt.

Just wondered if anyone had any other excellent free resources?
      I see also there's a course here that requires a status - would that be a worthwhile investment?
      Would a coach be a good investment to give me guidance on starting out correctly?
      Does anyone have any other recommended resources for pretty new players (even if they aren't free)?
  • 8 replies
    • la55i
      la55i
      Pokerstrategy has awesome content. I suggest you start reading strategy articles and watching videos. There are some beginner courses that does not require a status.
      Get free starting capital from pokerstrategy and start playing, that way you will get better status here. You can also buy one but I don't think it is necessary for you just yet. Materials above silver status are quite difficult to understand for beginners. Coachings are great but expensive so I think it is better to get a good understanding of the very basics before hiring a coach :)
    • dredgos
      dredgos
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice, I got myself a copy of pt4 to log my stats. When starting out would you suggest I'm better to stick to normal games rather than zoom? Im just going to have one table open to make sure I am considering everything to start with when learning so I won't rack up tons of hands quickly.
    • la55i
      la55i
      Regular tables are absolutely better to start with. If you feel bored when playing only 1 table you can open a second one. At zoom you see a lot of hands fast and small mistakes will cost you a lot in short time.
    • dredgos
      dredgos
      Bronze
      Excellent - thanks :) hopefully with my learning/studying time and some practice it won't take me too long to see improvement!
    • la55i
      la55i
      Probably you are going to improve very fast at first and then the learning gets slower :)
      If you have any difficult hands you can post them here to the hand discussions.
    • cardinhand
      cardinhand
      Basic
      If your playing micro cash games, you can try Polished Poker, its a free ebook that was written for micro stakes player.

Getting a HUD(HM2/PT4) would really help you, try their free trial(1 month each)
    • dredgos
      dredgos
      Bronze
      Thanks, I'll definitely check it out.
    • Post removed