Poker & Olympic in 2016

• eudodo
      eudodo
      Bronze
      Accoridin to the Independent on Sunday (04.01.09) poker is amongst seven sports that are queuing to contest admission to the 2016 Games.

Poker launches campaign claiming it is 'ripe for Olympic recognition, being considered with, global popularity and requiring great skill'

Is it time to gather national teams?

I doubt that the Americans will win.
  • 19 replies
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      Originally posted by eudodo

I doubt that the Americans will win.
      huh? why not?

anyway, sounds very cool, that would be great for poker (players).
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Bronze
      that would be sick but very unlucky to happen..
    • Snarf85
      Snarf85
      Bronze
      Meh, is it really that kind of sport?! Odd.
    • RavinMic
      RavinMic
      Bronze
      Poker should not be an olympic sport. That's rediculous. If they take out baseball, and put in poker the IOC is the complete JOKE they appear to be. No one loves poker more than me, but if they make it an olympic sport, I will lose what little respect I have left for the olympics! I won't miss them at all.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      poker is not a sport. Playing drums is closer to be a sport and I think it will never be in the olimpic games.
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      I think the Olympics should be for the physical competition as much as it's possible and I'm against poker, motorsports, chess, sudoku or whatever becoming an official Olympics discipline.
    • lennert9
      lennert9
      Bronze
      I agree with the fact that olympics should be about physical sports, but do not underestimate motorsports. Driving a F1 car or something similar requires the same kind of physical fitness as running, cycling etc...

On topic, The gold medal will be mine in 7 years :p
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RavinMic
      Poker should not be an olympic sport. That's rediculous. If they take out baseball, and put in poker the IOC is the complete JOKE they appear to be. No one loves poker more than me, but if they make it an olympic sport, I will lose what little respect I have left for the olympics! I won't miss them at all.
      I think Poker is bigger than baseball.

Having baseball in the Olympics would be like having NASCAR in the olympics.

:D
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Vargan
      awesome?
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      level?
    • TimothyVdp1
      TimothyVdp1
      Bronze
      It would be good for the game but honestly I don't see poker as an olympic sport :D
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by TimothyVdp1
      It would be good for the game but honestly I don't see poker as an olympic sport :D
      I agree with you!

On the other side, it'd help a lot to change attitude towards the poker and move it from gambling area to the skill game... It's skill game only in USA apparently, because I doubt you can be self-employed as professional poker player anywhere in the world (I mean as profession, not just in terms of paying taxes from winnings).
    • lennert9
      lennert9
      Bronze
      I don't know how they would organize it really, either you have one NL-holdem event, which would be kinda ridiculous since there are so many variants, or else you get a full fledged wsop style quantity of tournaments which in itself would take the duration of the entire olympics to play all of it.

Also, asking for a buy in of xk dollars, and as such the capacity to give pay-outs would be very un-olympic, but turning it into a free tournament with no payout except for the three medals wouldn't entice any decent poker player( the real big pro's like negreanu, helmuth etc, I'd be more then happy to play) to participate according to me.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Not so sure about that... I think all the big pro's are super-competitive by nature.
    • RavinMic
      RavinMic
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Vargan
      Originally posted by RavinMic
      I think Poker is bigger than baseball.

:D
      Poker is a bigger game right now than baseball, that still doesn't make it a sport. And Nascar, why stop there? Why not air races. My whole point is that the olympics are supposed to be about PHYSICAL competition, there are already a dozen things in the olympics that shouldn't be there. Any of the "sports" with judging should be gone. Equestrian, should be gone. It should be about human physical competion. Bowling and Darts belong there before Nascar and Poker.
    • Sholomo
      Sholomo
      Bronze
      if it happens (i hope not) the only reasonable format would be Heads up NL holdem, 32 players qualified maximum through some high buy in HU world competitions, similar system to amateur boxing on olympics and other martial arts.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      I don't know... only NL? Sure it's the most popular form, but these are the olympics :D

Why not a big super-deepstacked razz tournament, perhaps even add some other variants + soften the crazy variance in some of the variants. Multiple day event (I'm talking 5+ :D ), give all the players plenty of oppurtunity to play postflop against eachother on multiple game variants, gather reads, mix up styles...

It would be epic :D Good chance for the best all-round player to win.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Why not a big super-deepstacked razz tournament, perhaps even add some other variants + soften the crazy variance in some of the variants. Multiple day event (I'm talking 5+ ), give all the players plenty of oppurtunity to play postflop against eachother on multiple game variants, gather reads, mix up styles...

Of course, blind levels of 1 day , 18 hours of playing would be interesting. It would be a sport then to actually play through that tournament. and razz of course.

your idea would make a great world series of poker main event btw, why the world champion has to be defined through a nl holdem donkament?
    • Gamer135
      Gamer135
      Bronze
      So... Gold wins gold?