Crushing Life and Poker - 20k bankroll Self Improvement!

• SmokingDough
      SmokingDough
      Bronze
      Over the past little while I have become obsessed with becoming the best version of my self on and off the poker tables. I finally have reached 100nl and I am close to being back in the best shape of my life. It has taken a lot of hard work but even though I am in a great place and having a small amount of success I am still as hungry as ever. I want more and nothing can stop me from achieving my goals! I decided to start a challenge thread to hold myself accountable. Hopefully I can motivate some people along the way and we can all achieve the success that we are looking for.

I'll be breaking down this thread into three areas. Poker, Fitness and Life. I will do a quick summary below of where I am at in each of these. Here we go:

Poker
      Right now I am playing 100nl FR. Its taken me quite a while to get here but I did it! I was so proud of myself when I finally reached this level. I always looked at 100nl as the stake where you can start making a decent amount of money and possibly start to consider having poker as your main source of income. This is something I want to do. I want to be able to take time off from my job and give poker full time a chance. I am getting closer and closer to making this a reality but I still have a ways to go before we can give this a shot. I want my bankroll to be at least 20k+ before I take the plunge.

Fitness
      Fitness has always been a pretty big part of my life. It has taught me a lot. Its taught me discipline, self control, patience and dedication. All of these skill sets are essential if you want to have any success in any area of your life, especially poker. A few months ago I felt myself hitting a bit of a plateau when it comes to my health. My results were slowing down and I was getting bored in the gym. I sat down and started researching everything I could that would get me to the next level when it came to workouts and most importantly, diet. I realized that my diet needed work. If I wanted to achieve better results I needed to change what I was eating and stay consistent with it. I also put together my own workout. I found that a lot of the workouts online are all very very similar. I took the best ones that I could find and developed my own 8 week routine. Im 3 weeks into it right now and so far its been going great.

Life
      I currently work full time as a mechanic specializing in diesel engines. I am the foreman/manager of the weekend shift at a major trucking company in Canada. Working weekends works well for me. I work 3 days a week, 12 hours per day and have 4 days off during this week. This gives me a ton of time to dedicate towards poker and everything else. I've been doing it for just over 5 years now and I am ready to write my final test to become a fully licensed mechanic. I will hopefully have this finished within the next month or two. Once I am fully licensed I am officially set. This is a major step that I need to complete before I can even consider giving poker full time a shot. It gives me an out if poker doesn't end up working out. But for now, I just need to take a bit of time each day studying and book the appointment to write my test.

The Challenge

Now for the main purpose of this thread. The challenge! Setting our goals, and crushing them! Right now I have a trip to Spain in August in the works. I would like to reach all of goals by then and have this little trip to celebrate everything I've accomplished. Here are all of my goals:

:diamond: $20,000 bankroll.
      :diamond: 200nl+ regular.
      :diamond: The best shape of my life. I want to have a modern, ripped physique.
      :diamond: Fully licensed mechanic.
      :diamond: $10,000 saved.
      :diamond: Read one book per month.
      :diamond: Have the option to take one year off to grind poker by August.

This is it! I am pumped to get this underway. I will do whatever it takes and come August, my goals will all be completed. Lets GO!
  • 7 replies
    • SmokingDough
      SmokingDough
      Bronze
      Alright guys since I just wrapped my last session up until Sunday night I'm going to do a review of this week. Typically I grind Mon-Thurs and then I put in a session Sunday night so I still get a piece of those weekend fish. My gym schedule is Mon-Sat with a rest day on Sunday.

Anyways this week was complete GARBAGE. In terms of buyins, it wasn't the worst but my god I took a lot of terrible beats. I definitely didn't play my best either but when you are playing bad and running bad, things get ugly.

This weeks results: - $393.88 :deadhappy:

Just a complete beating this week. Makes me really sad because the games I was playing in 90% of the time were excellent. Poker can truely be a bitch sometimes but thats the way she goes. Heres a few real beauties:

Villain is a 40/3. I expect him to play all over pairs this way. Really didnt expect him to show up with the 57s.

Poker Stars, $0.50/$1 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $87 (87 bb)
      BB: $73.25 (73.3 bb)
      UTG+1: $90.40 (90.4 bb)
      UTG+2: $70.22 (70.2 bb)
      Hero (MP1): $100 (100 bb)
      MP2: $237.95 (238 bb)
      MP3: $107.10 (107.1 bb)
      CO: $228.40 (228.4 bb)
      BTN: $104 (104 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A A
      UTG+1 calls $1, UTG+2 raises to $4.50, Hero raises to $11, 7 folds, UTG+2 calls $6.50

Flop: ($24.50) 6 7 5 (2 players)
      UTG+2 checks, Hero bets $13.25, UTG+2 raises to $30, Hero raises to $89 and is all-in, UTG+2 calls $29.22 and is all-in

Turn: ($142.94) T (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($142.94) 2 (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results: $142.94 pot ($3 rake)
      Final Board: 6 7 5 T 2
      UTG+2 showed 5 7 and won $139.94 ($69.72 net)
      Hero showed A A and lost (-$70.22 net)

Another weak passive fish. 36/3.

Poker Stars, $0.50/$1 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players

SB: $35.45 (35.5 bb)
      BB: $100 (100 bb)
      UTG+2: $126.75 (126.8 bb)
      MP1: $136.35 (136.4 bb)
      Hero (MP2): $202.50 (202.5 bb)
      MP3: $124.85 (124.9 bb)
      CO: $86.25 (86.3 bb)
      BTN: $106.60 (106.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 6 6
      2 folds, Hero raises to $3, 3 folds, SB calls $2.50, BB folds

Flop: ($7) 6 A Q (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $4.50, SB calls $4.50

Turn: ($16) 3 (2 players)
      SB bets $8, Hero raises to $20, SB raises to $27.95 and is all-in, Hero calls $7.95

River: ($71.90) A (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $71.90 pot ($3 rake)
      Final Board: 6 A Q 3 A
      SB showed Q A and won $68.90 ($33.45 net)
      Hero showed 6 6 and lost (-$35.45 net)

I mean... fml...

Poker Stars, $0.50/$1 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players

Hero (SB): $107.85 (107.9 bb)
      BB: $42.80 (42.8 bb)
      UTG+1: $112.60 (112.6 bb)
      UTG+2: $49.15 (49.2 bb)
      MP1: $55.50 (55.5 bb)
      MP2: $49.20 (49.2 bb)
      MP3: $189.70 (189.7 bb)
      CO: $107.05 (107.1 bb)
      BTN: $21.70 (21.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3 3
      UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $1, MP1 calls $1, MP2 calls $1, 3 folds, Hero completes, BB checks

Flop: ($5) 3 8 6 (5 players)
      Hero bets $3, BB folds, UTG+2 raises to $10, 2 folds, Hero calls $7

Turn: ($25) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+2 bets $25, Hero raises to $50, UTG+2 calls $13.15 and is all-in

River: ($101.30) J (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $101.30 pot ($3.00 rake)
      Final Board: 3 8 6 A J
      Hero showed 3 3 and lost (-$49.15 net)
      UTG+2 showed J J and won $98.30 ($49.15 net)

And last but not least...

Poker Stars, $0.50/$1 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

SB: $90.20 (90.2 bb)
      BB: $52 (52 bb)
      UTG: $51.30 (51.3 bb)
      Hero (MP): $108.05 (108.1 bb)
      CO: $33 (33 bb)
      BTN: $85.36 (85.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J J
      UTG raises to $2, Hero calls $2, CO calls $2, 2 folds, BB calls $1

Flop: ($8.50) 9 A J (4 players)
      BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $5.80, CO calls $5.80, 2 folds

Turn: ($20.10) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $13.05, CO raises to $25.20 and is all-in, Hero calls $12.15

River: ($70.50) A (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $70.50 pot ($3.00 rake)
      Final Board: 9 A J A A
      Hero showed J J and lost (-$33 net)
      CO showed A 6 and won $67.50 ($34.50 net)

VERY frustrating week indeed. Couldn't get any momentum going my way and when I did I was smacked back down by a nasty cooler. BUT we almost always got the money in ahead which is the main thing. Some serious heat coming my way soon. Whales cant keep hitting the old 4%ers on me. Like I said though... thats the way she goes sometimes. Still plenty of time left in the month. We will turn it around. Im going to do a big review of all my hands from this week in Snowie over the weekend to find some spots that I played poorly aside from all the bad beats.

So yea... off to the gym now. Going to take the frustration out on some weights. Always helps :pokerface: Ill write out some goals for tomorrow when I get back. Peace guys.:f_cool:
    • SmokingDough
      SmokingDough
      Bronze
      ARPIL 11, 2016 GOALS

New week, new start. I really have my work cut out for me this week. Time to grind myself out of this huge hole I've dug myself for this month so far. I will do whatever it takes to end this month in the green. I know it wont be easy but I am up for the challenge. At the start of this week, we are - $574.76. YIKES! Im going to stop worrying about my results as much this week and just focus on doing the best I can on and off the tables and making sure that I am giving 100% effort in everything I do. Results will follow if this is the approach taken. LETS GO! Here are today's goals:

:diamond: Review last weeks hands in Snowie.
      :diamond: Go over all of the hands I marked from last week.
      :diamond: Grocery Shop.
      :diamond: Prep meals.
      :diamond: Track Macros with MyFitnessPal
      :diamond: File away last weeks receipts.
      :diamond: Gym - Chest and Back - Do Max bench today and see where we are at.
      :diamond: Grind 6+ hours.
      :diamond: Mark 3+ hands to review during session.
      :diamond: Focus heavily on game selection.
      :diamond: 0 Distractions while grinding. 100% focus on the tables.
      :diamond: HAVE FUN! :f_cool:

Busy day but we are going to crush all of these goals today! Time to get to work! See you guys later for a daily review!
    • SmokingDough
      SmokingDough
      Bronze
    • SmokingDough
      SmokingDough
      Bronze
      APRIL 12, 2016 GOALS

Yesterday went pretty well. Managed to complete all of my goals but did not manage to book a winning poker session :why: . I just finished reviewing my hands and it looks like overall I played well. Games were not the best I've seen but I stayed completely focused and hit all of my goals. Today's a new day so lets make the most of it! I have tickets to an OHL hockey game tonight so I'm going to try and get my grind in and all my goals completed before I go. Depending on how I feel maybe I will grind after the game too. But anyways, here's my goals for today:

:diamond: Read a chapter of Think and Grow Rich.
      :diamond: Grind 6+ Hours
      :diamond: 0 Distractions while grinding. 100% focus.
      :diamond: Mark all trouble hands and review thoroughly after session.
      :diamond: Have a winning session? :profit:
      :diamond: Gym - Arms and Shoulders.
      :diamond: Have fun. :f_cool:

LETS GO!
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      Seems you have a lot of emotions/energy attached to winning/winning sessions. Don't get me wrong, a lot of people do and it's quite normal. BUT, it's one of the things you'll need to work on changing if you want to have poker as your full time thing, since it's also one of the main reasons why players are unable to play or stay in the zone, and a lot of mental game issues are usually related to being way to conerned about winning. GL on your journey! :f_thumbsup: Do you play on stars?
    • SmokingDough
      SmokingDough
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vonki
      Seems you have a lot of emotions/energy attached to winning/winning sessions. Don't get me wrong, a lot of people do and it's quite normal. BUT, it's one of the things you'll need to work on changing if you want to have poker as your full time thing, since it's also one of the main reasons why players are unable to play or stay in the zone, and a lot of mental game issues are usually related to being way to conerned about winning. GL on your journey! :f_thumbsup: Do you play on stars?
      Hello Vonki,

Thank you for your perspective on things. It has been a little annoying this month that I cant get anything going lately but I know this is part of the ups and downs of poker. I would say my mental game is one of the strongest parts of my game actually. I am very disciplined and do not let the results of my session determine how I play. I am always focused on making the best decisions at all times. As long as I am playing well and can confirm this when I review my hands, then I am happy. But yes... right now I would really like to have a winning session. :f_biggrin:

Cheers.
    • SmokingDough
      SmokingDough
      Bronze
      APRIL 13, 2016 GOALS

Yesterdays goals completed: 5/7 - 71%

Whos ready for a big day of grinding? I am! Played a smaller session yesterday. I ended up going out last night with some buddies to go see our local OHL team play. It was a great playoff game vs the London Knights but they ended up losing in OT 2-1. It was cool to see some of the top NHL prospects like Mitch Marner playing. Hes not the biggest player but the kid can play. I ended up failing miserably with my diet yesterday because we went out for wings and beers before hand but oh wel... lets call it a cheat day. It was also a nice little break from the grind which I probably needed since that's all I've been doing lately. Here's some photos from the game:

After the game I came home, chilled for a bit and went to bed early. Decided not to set my alarm for today and just wake up on my own. Damn that 9 hour sleep felt good :f_biggrin: Today's a new day and I'm ready to put in some huge sessions and a kill the gym. Here are my goals for today.

:diamond: Review yesterdays hands.
      :diamond: Track macros with MyFitnessPal.
      :diamond: Gym - Legs / Cardio / Abs - Find out what my max is for squats.
      :diamond: 10+ Hours grinding.
      :diamond: Read a chapter of Think and Grow Rich.
      :diamond: Have fun :f_cool:

Time to get to work! Im going to leave a little quote here that a lot of poker players could benefit from... Talk to you guys later!

“Whenever you feel like saying, ‘I was just unlucky,’ trust me when I say, ‘you’re probably an idiot.’ Analyze the reality. Don’t just try to make yourself feel better."