I need a litlle help - calculation

• AATACK
      AATACK
      Bronze
      Hi everybody

I've got a little problem and I guess the aswer is pretty simple, but at the moment I just can't see the connection

I have been reading a lot of poker books and articles, and so far I understand the most of it, but there is just one thing I can't seem to understand - It's about pot odds - I,ve pasted an example below this and I hope somebody can help me to understand this little thing.

I'm a little bit confused about one thing - how do they calculate $14:$2 to become 3.5:11 - isn't it 7:1? - this is the one thing I have had a hard time to understand - could somebody please show me the calculation model for this, so that I'll be able to practise this kind of calculation.

And if you would be so kind to put in some extra examples of this kind of calcultion with your answer, so that I can see the way you calculate it, I would be very gratefull

I've pasted the chapter that this particular calculation came from

- What if the opponents were to bet $4 instead of $2? There would now be $14 in possible winnings. Your pot odds, however, would now be at $14:$2, or roughly 3.5:11.
  • 5 replies
    • Alex147Eddie
      Alex147Eddie
      Bronze
      it think it is a mistake. I guess it should be 14$:4$ and that is 3.5:1
    • gaz639
      gaz639
      Bronze
      I copied this from an article.

What would happen if the opponent bet $4 instead of $2? The possible profit would rise from $10 + $4 = $14 on the one hand. On the other hand, your pot odds for calling the bet would be $14 : $4, which is the same as a ratio of 3.5:1. It would therefore be unprofitable if you were to call the bet. You'd be best advised to fold your hand in this situation because you'll make losses in the long run.

Are you sure you read it right as if the bet was $4 instead of $2 then $14:$2 cannot be possible as it would indicate a $2 bet instead of $4 bet, and $14:$4 is 3.5:1. The $14:$2 example you gave is correct at 7:1. Hope this helps
    • AATACK
      AATACK
      Bronze
      Yeah that sounds very likely - I was actually pretty sure that it was a mistake in the text - it was from an article from this site - but it confused me a lot :)
    • AATACK
      AATACK
      Bronze
      Yeah I think you are right about that :) - now i understand it all :) thx
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      would be good if you could post the link to the article so that some1 can get it fixed