NL25 SH BSS stats?

• caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      I've been playing BSS FR NL10 for a month or so. I already have my elephant license, but I have chosen not to use stats on NL10.

Pretty soon (I hope :P ) I'll be moving to NL25 and there I plan to start giving SH some shots.

What do you say about stats on NL25, is it a MUST? I was thinking of starting withou stats and then gradually introduce it to my game, cause I gotta get used to using them anyway, so I can get to NL50 well acquainted with that feature =)

What do you think?
  • 9 replies
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      You can play without stats ofc, but they can only help you.Especially if you multitable.The sooner you start using them, the more accustumed you will be when you reach the higher limits.
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      It's not a must at all! Actually I would recommend playing without stats. I'm playing without stats too atm, allthough I'm used to play with them.

If you're playing nl25 (like me) you still have a lot to learn. It's very important to really focus on the table and the players. Always watch whether you're in or out a hand.
      If you're gonna use stats it's probably gonna be more tempting to take your reads from the stats and not focus enough on things like players actions and tendencies, table-dynamics and stuff like that.

But of course you can slowly begin using stats if you really want too. If you do, I recommend to gradually introduce it like you said. Keep the amount of stats at a minimum (vpip, pfr, hands and whatever you think will be really usefull).

But somebody else might have a different opinion :)

edit: was writing this, but darkonebg beat me to it ;)
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Well, you can focus on the players even if they have stats :D .But as I said, it really helps you when you are multitabling.
      And yes, for startes I would recommend putting only VPIP/PFR.
      Then adding 3bet,then fold bb to steal, steal, fold to cbet, cbet, AF and WTSD,as they require more hands. You will be missing a lot of info as some loose-passive players play hit-or-fold flop, and some go all the way with their rags, and you cant guess that from just VPIP, but its not such a big deal on NL25.

As you move up you will need more detailed stats like aggression by street, fold to 3/4bet, PFR by position and so on.
    • TimothyVdp1
      TimothyVdp1
      Bronze
      Poker is a game of missing information
      the more information u have on your opponents the better u can adjust
      and since stats give u more info, why not?

just make sure u still pay attention to betting patterns and try to put your opponents on ranges
      stats don't make u a better player, they help u making better plays
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Guess you guys are right :)

I'm still gonna play without stats for a while though. I feel like I need to handle the information available better before adding more information.
      I could probably win more if I played with stats, but I think in the long run doing without is the best for me right now. But because stats distract me, doesn't mean that's true for somebody else of course.
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Dont worry, its better than being on the other side.
      Im addicted to stats. Without stats, the tables seem to be soo empty.
      When I play live poker, I almost expect people to have numbers written on their forehead lol(...not) :D .
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Thank you for you the comments =)

I'm gonna at least finish beating NL10 without them. Theres still a good deal to be learnt before I start worrying about them. I was a shortstacker before and I tried using stats too early in SSS. I tended to overread the players and that brought be great losses. Then I went back to the basics and started winning again =D. I don't wanna make the same mistake in BSS, the losses would hurt more :P

But I'll slowly add the stats to my game =)

Cheers
    • Purity
      Purity
      Silver
      Im playing without stats NL50 atm. I think using stats too soon will cause some underdevelopment of certain skills. Most likely winrate will increase when using stats but that's not my major concern atm. When I stop making fundamental mistakes at NL50 and have bankroll for NL100 I'll get myself stats. Stats are certainly not needed below NL100, atleast that's my opinion.
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      @ caltabiano: GL with it, there is no wrong choice anyway, right? =)

@ Purity: That's exactly what I tried to say, but you really said it :D

It's probably all a bit player dependend I guess.