• 6 replies
    • ZakYoun270
      ZakYoun270
      Basic
      isn't the question somewhat academic?
    • Sailer85
      Sailer85
      Bronze
      We all know that 72o is the worst starting hand in Hold'em, but I was wondering which is the second? 62o or 83o? Maybe some other?
      why is 72o the worst hand? most people do not play full ring anymore.... HU 72 is alot better than 32....

isn't the question somewhat academic?
      Since there is (edit: almost) nothing in the question about what limitations and/or conditions under which he is making/assuming the question there is absolutely nothing academic about it...
    • la55i
      la55i
      I think 72o has been officially ruled as the worst starting hand possible. At least I have been hearing that from the start of my poker career.
      When you play with Equilab you can see that 72o has almost the lowest equity vs random range. Only hand I found with lower equity is 23o but it's playability might be worse. So if we combine preflop equity and postflop playability we can conclude that 72o is indeed the worst starting hand in poker. It hardly makes any straights or flushes and if it does, those are easily dominated. Also pair of deuces or sevens are not so great by themselves.

Other weakest hands in poker are of course those low off suit hands that have a huge gap between them.
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Howdy, you have to differentiate between HU and multiway play.

HU: high card counts much more - thus 32o is the most shitty hand, followed by 42o

Multiway: you always have someone with a better highcard, thus the straight outs are more valuable for 32o than the high card of 72o.
      Result: 72o worst in 5way, 32o second, followed by 62o

You can do all this and more with Power Equilab, which you can test for free for 14 days here: Link
    • jessem96
      jessem96
      Basic
      I think that 28o is the worst because 23o brings sometimes playable straight.
    • Sailer85
      Sailer85
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jessem96
      I think that 28o is the worst because 23o brings sometimes playable straight.

27o also has no straight options... But hand strenght is always relative to your opponents range, so the fewer players the more valuable a pair becomes.... and 77 > 33 so HU 23 is worse than 27 but the other way around on a FR table...
      It is just equity, has very little to do with opinions....