When they donk into my pot

• Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Hey all

I have a general question about what to do when somebody donks into you on the flop when your were the pre-flop aggressor.

If I hit I raise. Correct? No matter if were HU or multiway?

If I dont hit:
      - HU: I have been raising from time to time, only to find it not profitable?
      - MW: Really unsure here.

I would love some inputs.

It is 0.1/0.2 5-max with tons of fishes.

Cheers,
      Kimber88
  • 13 replies
    • gaz639
      gaz639
      Bronze
      if i raise and get one caller, if i hit i will bet, and if i miss i will conti bet and try to take the pot down on the flop. If there are more than one opponent and i miss if i am in position and they all check i will conti bet if i feel they will fold, if not i will check behind. If opponent donk bets before me on the flop and i miss i will fold, but if they keep doing this then take note of this, they could be bluffing then you could consider raising their pot bet.

If like you say you miss the flop and there are multiple fish without any strong draws i would just check/fold this as if you conti bet against the fish you will just get called and then you are in a tight spot on the turn, double barrell or just c/f? If you have a strong draw eg flush draw or oesd or both, then its worth a bet because you will build the pot up and then if you hit, especially with multiple fish, you will often get paid off big.

I built a pot up the other day got flush on the turn, a 4th diamond came on the river and i pushed the rest of my stack ($5 into a $9 pot i think or something like that, he called and shown AK clubs, he hit a pair of kings on the river, and called a push even with 4 diamonds out, so often you will get paid off by these fish

Hope this helps
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Thanks for your input. It does help for sure. Only thing is that you are talking about NL I suppose, and I'm playing FL. The two games are a bit different in this case I think?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    • Foxxxen
      Foxxxen
      Bronze
      I'm afraid there's no easy answer here. Not all fish are created equal. The best you can do is take notes on what they donk with, i.e. mid pair, top pair, draws, bluffs etc. That way, you will have more information to go on in the next situation and can play accordingly. Even fish can be observant from time to time, so if you start standardising your play, folding everytime they donk, they will adjust and start donking into you all the time.
      GL!
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Hi Kimber88,

if you hit and you are HU you should wait for the turn to raise to maximize your value.
      Multiway you can raise the flop directly if your hand is strong enough.

Unimproved you should just call if your equity is good enough or play by odds and outs and fold if this is notthe case. If he is donking very often you should call him down with A-high on good boards (There's no default for that. Please post hands if such situations happen.)
      Multiway you should only continue if you get the correct odds for your outs else fold.
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Thanks for the inputs guys. It seems very simple and straight forward when you explain it. I will try to apply that in my game.

Cheers,
      Kimber88
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      And the pot isn't yours yet ;)
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Yoghi
      And the pot isn't yours yet ;)
      I know.. But it should be.. :D

The title is a reflection of how I feel when they do it and I haven't hit.
    • eddygunz
      eddygunz
      Bronze
      read more articles
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by eddygunz
      read more articles
      Ok?

Thanks for your constructive input on the subject.
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      watch more vids
      post more hands
      collect more strategypoints
      ask more questions
    • gaz639
      gaz639
      Bronze
      sorry about my post kimber, didn't realise it was FL, when i read posts i always assume its NL for some reason
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gaz639
      sorry about my post kimber, didn't realise it was FL, when i read posts i always assume its NL for some reason
      No problem. It was nice to see that you actually took time to think about mu question and produce an answer. :)
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      As a follow up question:

When I'm donked to in a raised pot HU I tend to take the line call flop raise turn if I have a made hand or strong draw.

I have thought about a situation however, what do you think about playing raise flop bet turn on a scary board where you are either wa/wb. Especially if you hold only a moderately strong hand against a transparent opponent.

My thinking is as follows, it allows you to fold cheaply to a 3-bet when you're very sure you're way behind costing only 1BB instead of 2.5BBs.

Obviously this line is bad vs a tricky opponent. Do you think in these circumstances, as I have that this is a strong alternative to a calldown?