fapaja unlimited

• fapaja
      fapaja
      Bronze
      Alright, time to sit down at the tables again.

It’s almost seven years since I answered a few questions about poker and proved myself worthy of a free beginners bankroll and a promise of an educational system that would make me a winning poker player.

I knew next to nothing about poker at the time and decided to make a serious effort to learn and eventually master the game.

My game of choice was fixed limit hold’em and step by step I studied the strategy articles, watched the videos and practiced every single concept at the tables. I used every little bit of the support system PokerStrategy provided, asked a lot of stupid questions, posted lots of hands for evaluation, started to analyze and comment other players posted hands, attended coachings on a regular basis and went on a mission to see if it was possible to actually make money in FLHE.

I was a true disciple for exactly one year.

In the process I was elected the first ever Member Of The Month in the Swedish community, I had my own FLHE live-coaching for beginners merely seven months after playing my first poker hand and I went from the $0.10/0.20 tables to $5/10 and turned my 50 bucks into $7913.10. in 365 days.

My initial plan was to go on for another year but stuff happened and, after seriously contemplating my situation, I decided to cash out and focus on other areas in life.

Some months later I made a comeback attempt but it was half-hearted and then Full Tilt went down…

I haven’t thought much of poker since but for a few weeks I’ve had this feeling, it would be fun getting a shot at the NL-tables. And here I am.

I have exclusively played fixed limit hold'em. Therefore my plan is to do something similar to what I did the first time - accept that I don’t know a thing about NLHE and start learning the basics using every tool PokerStrategy.com provides, internalize the strategies and develop a solid winning game.

Let's see how that goes...
  • 25 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Nice journey already on the FLHE tables. Hopefully you start on the NLHE tables will be good as well.
      On what limit you will start your NLHE adventure?

Maybe it’s an idea to take part in our Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Opt-in now! promotion with making a bankroll challenge for yourself.

Further I wish you all the best with improving your game :gl:

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • fapaja
      fapaja
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SDK1987
      Nice journey already on the FLHE tables. Hopefully you start on the NLHE tables will be good as well.
      On what limit you will start your NLHE adventure?

Maybe it’s an idea to take part in our Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Opt-in now! promotion with making a bankroll challenge for yourself.

Further I wish you all the best with improving your game :gl:

Cheers,
      SDK1987
      Thanks SDK1987!

So I've played my first few hands on NL2 after studying the absolute basic strategies for a couple of days.
      The dynamics of the game is quiet different from FLHE as I remembered it.

The basic strategiy is really simple to follow though and I have been favourite those times I've put my stack in the middle.

As always, when I'm learning, I'm struggeling with being aggressive enough, especially postflop. I miss a lot of raises but as for now my main focus is to get used to the very limited start hand range and to find profitable lines as preflop agressor. I'll deal with the limp-in pots next week.

Anyways - BR has gone from $100 to $105 in 300 hands and I'm not impressed with the competition...
    • fapaja
      fapaja
      Bronze
      Not much to report, actually. I've studied the basic pre- and postflop articles aas well as the the articles about odds and implied odds.
      Haven't played much though. BR is still $105 and there has'nt been many fancy hands.

Microstakes as a beginner isn't really exciting so my plan is to study hard, internalize strategies and then put in some volume and work myself out of it as soon as possible.
    • fapaja
      fapaja
      Bronze
      Weird start today with KK vs. AA, set over set and a suckout with rockets and three BI gone in a heartbeat.
      Played well (for my skill level) though and didn't tilt. After a couple of hours I was almost breakeven for the day

Installed SideKick in order to post hands but my old work computer didn't allow me to run it in administrator mode...
      Will probably find a solution shortly but bankroll challenges and hand evaluations will have to wait. :f_frown:
    • fapaja
      fapaja
      Bronze
      Hard to say if I really have an edge yet. Especially without checking handhistory.
      BR is slowly growing though, so I'm happy. :f_grin:

Hopefully playing NL5 soon...

BR: $115
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Maybe the free trial of Holdem Manager 2 or PokerTracker 4 can help you as well to improve your game.
    • fapaja
      fapaja
      Bronze
      Maybe the free trial of Holdem Manager 2 or PokerTracker 4 can help you as well to improve your game.
      It certainly can.
      Is there any distinct advantages or disadvantages with any of them?
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fapaja
      It certainly can.
      Is there any distinct advantages or disadvantages with any of them?
      Nearly all advantages or disadvantages are POV. (The exception I know of is performance on old computers.) I'd use the trial on both of them and then decide. ~~~~
    • fapaja
      fapaja
      Bronze
      Haven't played much and haven't studied nearly as much as I planned to do.
      It was simply too nice weather today...
      A few hands from the cellphone but I didn't really appreciate the user experience.
      Doubled up with KK vs. JJ and won a few cents more but then the sunshine called for a beer and I never play when I drink.

BR up to $118
      I really need to study more...
    • fapaja
      fapaja
      Bronze
      Moving up to NL5.
      BR is $127 and I think I'll do fine.
      Still need to study more, though. My postflop aggression isn't great...

Downloading HEM2 today and when I get it to work, I'll sign up for the bankroll challenge too.
    • fapaja
      fapaja
      Bronze
      First session on NL5 went smoothly.
      Shoved with OESD+FD and doubled up when I hit the straight, won some smaller pots and then another BI when I found a full house, kings over aces

BR: $140
    • fapaja
      fapaja
      Bronze
      Struggled a bit with HM2 and postgresql yesterday.
      I think I know what to do but I don't think I'll do it today. Lots of other things on my schedule.
    • fapaja
      fapaja
      Bronze
      Played like a fish and had to pay for it.

BR: $123
    • fapaja
      fapaja
      Bronze
      I suppose I miss a ton of value, but as long as my bankroll is growing and my game is improving I'll be happy.

I feel confident in my pre flop game, even if I'm on the nitty side.
      Post flop there's a lot of work to be done, but I'm getting there

BR: $144
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fapaja
      Played like a fish and had to pay for it.
      Here's a piece of advice that may be the single best advice to a competent FL player moving to NL (It is also probably the single piece of advice I am able to give since you know how to play, and know GTO concepts): In NL, sit on your hands. I mean it literally when a big pot is cooking. That way you can't make stupid split-second decisions. Bad such decisions cost a small fraction of a BB in FL. I don't know how many times (sometimes even per session) that I 1/10 of a second after making a snap-move I am looking for the undo button. This is my single biggest problem in NL. If I at least need to unrelease my mouse hand from my ass before pressing that button, I play way better. (The downside is then that poker is much less a pleasant experienceX( )
    • Underbluffing
      Underbluffing
      Bronze
      Hi, can agree with Yohan7, dont make any fast decisions and forget your FLH GTO thinking, as what I have learned when I started playing NL, is that most FLH players know Bullshit about GTO and many NL too^^. So start thinking about blockers (very important when the ranges are more narrow, as they are in NL) and start folding on the River, most FL players call any River as in FL a bad call on the River is one of smallest mistakes you can make (very good odds), but in NL a bad Call on the River is the worst mistakes you can make EV wise, so even if you try to still play some kind of 1-A strategy, you have to realize due the bigger bet, you can fold way more of your range :)
    • fapaja
      fapaja
      Bronze
      Thank you gentlemen for excellent advice!

'Sit on your hands' was especially helpful.

It kind of forced me to adapt to the game dynamics of no limit hold'en which is very different from FL.

BR: $155
    • fapaja
      fapaja
      Bronze
      Nothing much to report.
      Still haven't studied enough.
      Still playing simple ABC-poker.
      Still missing lots of value.
      Still winning.

BR: $167
    • fapaja
      fapaja
      Bronze
      888 provided a nice little video with my weekly summary.

I've played 1269 hands and won $44.
      That translates into a win rate of approximately 69bb/100 over the week.

If I can keep that up over the next 500000 hands, things will be fine... :D