Hello everybody from a newbie

• msp3101
      msp3101
      Silver
      Just recently joined - shame I didn't find out about PokerStrategy before grrrr....:(

Some great educational material for beginners I've found.

I've chosen Ladbrokes to receive my free starting capital.....what a great site that appears to be. I signed up and without any deposit they gave me €10 in cash and 5 x €2 tourney tokens. I've started on the 1/2 penny tables.

I've been living in Ireland for 10 years now but born and bred in London.

I graduated as a mature student just over a year ago with an Honours degree in Business.

I've been working part-time since as an early morning cleaner and I'm on the wrong side of 50.

Since finishing college I've passed on the business study books and started to study some of the old and new poker story/strategy books.

I'm no good on the 'PlayStation' as my young children advise so I'm going to try my luck at the micro stake tables.

:f_drink:
  • 21 replies
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Hi msp3101, welcome to Pokerstrategy!

We're glad to have you here. What kind of formats and limits do you like to play? We should have plenty of material for you over here in any case, maybe I can give you some recommendations.

I assume you have some knowledge of poker already from the strategy books you read. Do you also have some experience from live or online play already?

Hope to see you around.
    • msp3101
      msp3101
      Silver
      Hi Harrier 88,

Thanks for the welcome.

I like to play micro fixed/pot/no limit both 6 & 9 max. My first poker book that helped me was 'Winning low limit hold'em' by Lee Jones which is based for fixed limit.

I will be grateful for any recommendations.

I played mainly live 'pub' games without much knowledge from 2006-08 mainly for social interaction purposes.

I use to play online at Zynga poker on Facebook.

I'm currently studying the Jonathan Little professional tournament poker books for some guidance.

Due to time restrictions and after watching the video by 'vonki' I shall be mainly playing cash games and trying sit and go tables.

After watching that interesting video by 'vonki' that introduced me to the 'rule of 20'....I'm thinking of starting a blog entitled...'A recreational micro 2 tabler with no HUD'

Thanks again and cheers! :f_drink:
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Hey again msp3101,

Out of the games you mentioned, NL 6-max is probably your best bet. Fixed Limit is often considered a dying format nowadays, even though it does still have a small, dedicated following. But I don't believe that you will find much traffic beyond the lowest limits available outside of Pokerstars, and even there it should be quite low.

There is probably even less interest for Pot Limit Hold'em online, and while 9-max cash games were usually considered a good place to start for beginners, they also seem to be fading into obscurity these days.

Our Overview of No Limit Hold'em lessons should be a good place to get started. There is also a popular series on 6-max cash games by our coach w34z3l, the forum thread can be found here, and the videos here.

If you want to give SNGs or other tournaments a shot, keep in mind that tournament poker requires a slightly different strategy, and not everything that works in a cash game will necessarily also work in a tourney. But we have plenty of material on that as well, just let me know when you want to give it a try. This is actually my personal format of choice at the moment.

I see you already started your blog, and you even signed up for our bankroll challenge, which is great. So I guess I'll just see you over there, I'll be following for sure! :f_drink:
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by msp3101

I'm on the wrong side of 50.

:f_drink:
      Me too :f_biggrin: You should check out Who is our oldest PokerStrategist?. :f_drink:
    • msp3101
      msp3101
      Silver
      Thanks for the advice Harrier88 and Lazza61 ! :f_thumbsup:
    • arcnagett
      arcnagett
      Bronze
      Welcome to the community :)
    • fapaja
      fapaja
      Bronze
      Welcome to the community!
      Even if I'm a youngster in my mid forties, it seems we have a similar approach to poker; recreational cashgameplayers without hud ftw! :f_drink:
    • msp3101
      msp3101
      Silver
      Thanks for the welcome fapaja! :f_drink:
    • ragarda
      ragarda
      Bronze
      Good luck at the tables! :)
    • redjoekim66
      redjoekim66
      Gold
      Hi and welcome. i'm from the rebel county. Lots of decent freerolls and promotions around on other sites. I've had no investment of any capital at all since starting back online about 2 years ago. probably up around 4k euro in that time so it can be done with careful management. I use a lot of skins and make use of promotions and offers
    • redjoekim66
      redjoekim66
      Gold
      What is the wrong side of 50 these days, trying watching the movie idiocracy then make your decision
    • redjoekim66
      redjoekim66
      Gold
      Hi again. let me know your screen name at laddies and I will say hello at either the 50 euro vip daily 10pt buy in or the 75 euro vip daily(vip2 level and above). FYI out of the other skins I use on ipoker network I have won about 50 euro cash, have 55 euro worth of tokens and 20 euro of free bets. prior to last week it was a pretty horrible few weeks but still managed very slight profit. As for cash limit games it's a great way to earn a small amount of points which will be enough to qualify for promotions.
      Me being Scottish , a freeroll is the equivalent of a Muslim getting a garden with a 1000 virgins or more
    • msp3101
      msp3101
      Silver
      Hi redjoekim66

I don't know much about VIP dailies. Do you need player points to qualify for these?

Treble19 at Ladbrokes :f_drink:
    • redjoekim66
      redjoekim66
      Gold
      10 pts required for 50 euro vip freeroll at 17:00 every day. 100 pts required per month for 75 euro freeroll at 19:00 every day
    • arthurbentley
      arthurbentley
      Silver
      I don't use a HUD, mainly because I think it is cheating, and also I like to play poker the old fashioned way, that is by playing solid poker, and observing other players for tells. Which I think has improved my game.

I do use the stats information in the box next to my name. :f_tongue: This tells me how many flops I have seen. So I know the villains with HUDs will also know this very basic stat. Which kinda helps when 3/betting light against a BB raiser.

I colour code villains and put them in one of five categories:

1) Red: Tight & Aggressive

2) Purple: Good LAG

2) Orange: Tight & Passive

3) Yellow: Loose & bad

4) Green: Loose & Passive

A good tip to spot Tight Passive players is do they fold their BB often to a steal; or hardly ever raise the BB unless they have a hand? Do they pot control TPTK and check when scare cards appear? These players are great to bluff off a hand, but watch out if they don't fold!
    • msp3101
      msp3101
      Silver
      Thanks to your responses.

Redjoekim66: VIP freerolls don't seem t appear in my Ladbrokes tournament lobby. It may be me encountering navigation problems :f_smile:

arthurbentley: I may use your colour co-ordination scheme tip. At the moment I've just got written notes on players who, after only 2 weeks, seem to be popping up on a regular basis :f_thumbsup:
    • msp3101
      msp3101
      Silver
      OK I've found and registered for a VIP freeroll at 7pm by ticking show micro buy in levels...Cheers :f_drink:

What's your alias on Ladbrokes?
    • redjoekim66
      redjoekim66
      Gold
      i'm redjoekim66 at laddies
    • redjoekim66
      redjoekim66
      Gold
      Also screen navigation on new ipoker software a bit cumbersome. not a big fan. Although when I get used to it and they change it again will probably complain about that