Local League York, UK. Need advice!

• THEDEATHSTRIKER
      THEDEATHSTRIKER
      Bronze
      Hi people,
      just wondered if anyone could let me know of some strategy or advice for a league type tournament that I am interested in playing. Basically I have found a pub that operates a six week poker league (NL Hold'em). They get around 30 people once a week on a tuesday night, each player pays £5.00 for his chips, I think they operate it on a multi-table (six or eight at each) tournament basis, at the end of the night the winner takes a percentage of the overall pot. At the end of the six weeks the league winner is anounced (with another cash prize & goodies). They have a break for a week then start again. At the end of the season the winners from the different leagues go for a regional tourney, then national and so on, you get what I mean. Anyhow, I haven't played a lot of live play. Its bound to be fairly fishy, with a fair few of them been if not pissed (drunk, not annoyed, my american buddies! :) ), then well oiled. I know its a minor thing, but to me it is a chance to get some live experience in complete safety, and I will enjoy it as well, I would like to use it as strategy practice for the real thing. Any ideas? Please let me know which strategy will suit. And any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated,
      All the best,
      Chris.
  • 3 replies
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Depends how they do the overall points etc.

If it's win only, then thats your aim. If you get points the further you end up in each week, then might be worth adapting your play aiming for final table consistently.

Have you checked out the MTT section in the strategy guide? I would also strongly recommend you take a look at the ICM trainer. Whilst primarly designed for Sng's, the push/fold also applies to MTT late stages.

Kind regards,

Bart.
    • THEDEATHSTRIKER
      THEDEATHSTRIKER
      Bronze
      Thanks for that, will check it out.
      Am not sure, but think that the points go on win, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on, each night that we play over the six weeks, and then the final 6 weekly points or positions give you your standing over the season proper, if you follow? I think its broken into 6 week mini-leagues within the main league to keep interest up over the season, with prizes on the night and at the end of each 6 week period, as well as at the end of the season, followed by entry into regional and national league for top, end of season qualifiers. Will post about it when I have been and checked it out, am going to sign up tomorrow night, first game of the season.
      Cheers.
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hi and GL.
      For the first game I suggest you tighten up, then you can share some info about the exact payout and chipstacks/blind levels. On a first night, I am often observing and sucking in any information about any showdown. You are going to play with these guys a lot, so try to study them. Dont go into marginal situations before you know your opponent well, and if you create a first impression that you are a solid tight player, you could steal unpunished for hundeds of hands later.Bring sunglasses though, it may look silly, but even if you dont think that you give away anything, they are very usefull when you are observing, since players cant notice what you are looking at, if anything. So y, as a live player my advice is to just sit there and watch.
      Good luck :)