Focus, patience and dedication [spins].

• stripofbacon
      stripofbacon
      Bronze
      Hi guys!

Been a long time member of PokerStrategy (ever since I turned 18 :f_biggrin: ). Always lurked forums with some short breaks but was never too active. I can't even remember if I had any blogs previous to this one.

HISTORY

Introduced to poker by classmates at the young age of 18 and it seemed like a perfect fit - a card game that you earn money at! Reminded me of sports in a way (competitive, can earn lots of money if you're good, etc.). I was hooked almost right away.

I signed up for a PokerStrategy account, got my first $50 and played 9man Sit and Go's. They seemed like the logical choice as tournament format is always easier to understand, especially when you're at the beginning stages.

Even though I was really passionate about poker (even wrote some poker news articles for a local poker forum), I never dedicated my full attention to it in the way I should. I was always impatient and, honestly, just too young to understand what real work means.

Once I got a decent paying job, I dabbled in live cash games where I found some moderate success. I was able to travel quite a bit because of them and was a winner at small stakes over a fairly decent sample (lol at sample, of course).

What now?

So why am I opening this blog? I want to put my focus on Spin and Go's. Since HU SNG's are fairly close to my heart, I was always fascinated by Spins. I tried playing some, but never really took them seriously, similar to my whole poker journey really.

I believe I understand my shortcomings in poker better now. I know what I need to do in order to improve and this blog will be a part of it.

I understood that I achieved some success in my job (I don't love being employed, but have had some success for my age) because of my work ethics and my dedication to the work. I try to be the most passionate person in the office and I believe it shows.

I need to apply the same passion to poker. I always kind of thought that I could just get better by simply playing because I knew of other people who excelled that way. I now know that that's just not me, I need to put in the work.

Another thing that held me back - my shyness. I'm a bit introverted and it was always hard for me to open up about poker and the way I think about the game which has stagnated any progress I might've made. I was always afraid of reaching out for advice and tried researching everything myself. Hopefully, this blog will be a stepping stone in the right direction.

We'll see how everything goes. Wish me luck!
  • 4 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey stripofbacon,

Welcome to the blogs. :welcome:

That is an epic first post. :f_thumbsup: Definitely following.

You should consider entering our Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Opt-in now!.

This will likely help you to maintain your blog as well as your focus.

There is no time limit and you could win a status upgrade just for being an active participant.

Have fun :gl:

Laz
    • stripofbacon
      stripofbacon
      Bronze
      Finally restarting this blog with some more Spin'n'Go action this time around.

Steps to progress:

Reached out to find a study buddy.
        Made some mindset notes that seem to have helped.
        Wrote down my goals and the plan on how I'll achieve them.
        Started at the very, very bottom to grind through every single level.

Spin'n'Go lifetime graph [stakes range from $0.25 to $7 IIRC]:

• stripofbacon
      stripofbacon
      Bronze
      Whatsup everyone! Hope you guys are doing alright!

Haven't been able to grind as much as I'd like, but will make sure to work on volume once weekend arrives. Might be hard, though, considering that one of my best friends is celebrating his birthday on Friday. But you got to make some sacrifices to make the dream work!

Couple of quick points:
      -I need to work on my SB game when BTN opens (feel quite unsure in those spots)
      -Still in search for a study buddy (will probably search on 2+2 now)
      -Will go through a couple of Colin Moshman videos on Spin'n'Gos here on Saturday.
      -Will likely move up to the step #2 in Spins later this week.

Graph since the last update:

• SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Nice start so far with the Spin & Go’s. Hopefully you will run the hole time like this on a higher sample of more than 10k games as well.

Further I wish you all the best to improving your Spin & Go skills :gl:

Cheers,
      SDK1987