Making a go at Spins

• worldtour
      worldtour
      Basic
      Hello,

I am creating this blog with the intention of sharing my attempt at climbing the Spin&Go limits with the PokerStrategy community.

I'm not exactly a new player, began playing online poker like 7 years ago. Between 2012 and 2014 I was playing FL sng/cash heads-up games, where I was mostly grinding $60/$100 SnG and $2/$4-$3/$6 cash. Then at the end of 2014 the traffic in those games completely died, unfortunately it came at a time when I had cashed out like 90% of my bankroll and had invested it, so it made the switch to a new format a really tough task. 2015 was a really tough year for me, I still made some money playing poker, but since it's my only source of income, I never managed to sustain a bankroll and thus I've been broke for the most part.

In order to change that I will have to find a way to stop making small cash outs all the time and focus on the game itself. I really hope that I will have this opportunity and manage to finally climb a few limits and get my life back on track.

I began playing Spins recently, enjoy the game more then I thought I would. Here are my graphs from $1 so far -

http://i68.tinypic.com/259iqub.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2qbyyz5.png

Currently I have $63 on PokerStars and the goal is to play 3K games. I will shot $3 Spins at $100 roll (av.bi $2), so whenever I get to that point I will begin adding $3 games as well. Will try to average 300 games a day, post graphs and hands.

Good luck :)
  • 15 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey worldtour,

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com :welcome:

Where are you from? In fact, why don't you get yourself added to our Member map. You never know, the nearest PokerStrategist may live right next door. :f_p:

You should consider entering our Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Opt-in now!.

There is no time limit and you could win a status upgrade just for being an active participant.

As you are going so well at Spins, you should check out the similar formats on softer sites by taking advantage of one of our bonus offers. This will cost you nothing and will give you lifetime Bronze status.

Bronze will give you a tracked room to earn SPs, the ability to send friend requests and PMs through our community tool as well as opening up more strategy and videos.

Have fun :gl:

Laz
    • worldtour
      worldtour
      Basic
      Hey Laz,

Thank you for the kind words. I am from Bulgaria and ye, I am going to sign up through PS to some other room when I get the opportunity, I'd like to be able to post my graphs and other stats over here :f_thumbsup:

So, unfortunately my plan once again didn't work out... In fact I cashed out my entire roll from stars, made 10euro deposit on ipoker, the plan was to try the Twisters. Things started out good with 8-9 BI in the green at first, but then some terrible run hit me, was getting all kinds of setups, lost most flips, wasn't even getting anything more then 2x multipliers. So I won around 1K chips, but lost my "roll" there and decided to keep away for now. Back on Stars, I had left about 89 cents in my account, so I played a couple of $0.25 spins, got a few 6x multipliers, ran pretty good and finished the night with $6. Next day I gathered up the CardHunt puzzle, so I won a few bucks from the 0.5/0.10 FL cash tables, along with the $1 from the puzzle. So overall this morning session brought me to around $14 roll, that was pretty good I thought given how little I had left the previous night. I was wondering whether to just play it safe for a while and make the best out of this opportunity, but I thought I need only 20 BIs to be "safe" at 0.25$ so I had some room to have a shot at the $1 again. Luckily I got to play for $25 and won it, won a few 4x and 6x so I got to $43 in the afternoon. Now I have $64 and I'm pretty happy about it, given that I started this blog having $63, cashed it out, lost 10e, and still I'm at around the starting point again. Not that bad still.

That's my month in terms of Spins results: Link Text...

Cash (CardHunt inspired): Link Text...

Now I hope I will be able to grind it out for a while and just move to 3s finally, where I'd hopefully be able to make some more $ and won't have to cash out every other day.

What I'm really happy about is that I feel so inspired to play at the moment. I really enjoy this format, especially the fact you can play basically whenever you want and the games are so action packed and with great field. I think my game is pretty simple at the moment and effective enough, surely I have a lot to work on especially 3way and especially from the SB, but I think at the moment I can just adjust to my opps and not care that much about my own ranges. Anyway, I really have to put in the volume as long as I have the opportunity to and managed to finally get some roll and move up the limits.

Happy Holidays! :f_thumbsup:
    • Victgel134
      Victgel134
      Bronze
      hey worldtour GL for your challenge

you make 300 game per day it's incredible

how many table you play and how many hour ?
    • worldtour
      worldtour
      Basic
      Hey Victgel134,

I play 6 tables usually, haven't began doing 300games/day yet, but that's the challenge to get me to the next limit asap, so I can keep on playing. I used to do that with hyper HUs, so it's more of a challenge as long as I get to the point where I'd have a stable bankroll. I don't know about the hours, at the moment I'm focused entirely on poker and just try to play whenever I feel it's my A game.

Having that feeling where you're afraid of facing a downswing atm, lol :f_rolleyes: Not in the best mood for playing just now, still I am doing some games here and there for the past few hours. Spewed in quite a few spots, a hand from a few mins ago:

PokerStars - $0.92+$0.08|20/40 NL (3 max) - Holdem - 2 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BB): 15.93 BB
      SB: 21.58 BB (VPIP: 47.37, PFR: 22.22, 3Bet Preflop: 12.50, Hands: 22)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 8:club: 9:heart:

SB calls 0.5 BB, Hero checks

Flop: (2 BB, 2 players) 2:spade: Q:spade: J:club:
      Hero bets 1 BB, SB calls 1 BB

Turn: (4 BB, 2 players) T:spade:
      Hero bets 3 BB, SB raises to 6 BB, Hero raises to 13.93 BB and is all-in, SB calls 7.93 BB

River: (31.85 BB, 2 players) T:heart:

Hero shows 8:club: 9:heart: (Straight, Queen High)
      (Pre 28%, Flop 12%, Turn 3%)
      SB shows K:heart: 9:club: (Straight, King High)
      (Pre 72%, Flop 88%, Turn 97%)
      SB wins 31.85 BB

The opp was looking like a reg, we just got HU, I'd usually ISO with this hand and the stacks were fine for it, so I see it as the better option, esp as I'm shorter stack then him. Anyway, he hadn't limped yet so I wanted to get a few more hands with him, on this flop he will often flat my donkbet, but along with the Qx/Jx he will have a lot of Ax/Kx which will flat, so I am going to barrel on any blank turn usually. On the turn I didn't really want to bet 1/2 as he's getting too good odds to call with K:spade: /J:spade: /A:spade: , expect him to call Qx without FD as well. He had like 67% FvCbet, so I was really upset with his minraise here. In general the spot is really awkward, I'm with my top range on this turn after donking the flop, OTOH besides some bizarre AA/KK trap, his MR crushes me and just calling the 3BB will leave me in an even more awkward spot, since I will have to call any blank river and he'll likely call the turn shove with the same hands that he will shove the river anyway, so I either fold or shove here. I'd usually fold this spot as shoving my stack in limped pots without nuts isn't something I do often vs "regs", but we all spew sometimes...
    • worldtour
      worldtour
      Basic
      Hey!

It was a pretty nice day. It's Easter here so I took it easier with poker, graph: Link Text...

After the heater last few days I got to face the not-so-cool side of variance. Just ran below average overall with kind of bad card distribution, played a few 3s as well, but all in all just did some volume and that's about it. Checked my stats from the SB 3handed, as this is definitely the worst part of my game (in my opinion that is) and it didn't look that bad. It seems I don't have enough sample yet to make any general conclusions, so I will set this mini-challenge to do 1K games in next 3 days. Another thing I'd like to do is post a hand in each post I'm making here, meaning begin to mark hands for review in PT4. I never did that, usually when I face a difficult spot I keep on thinking about it in my head until I come to some conclusion with some reasoning, but this way I never get to hear someone else's opinion, so I'd like to try this out. Didn't mark any today, but here's one I wasn't happy about :

PokerStars - $0.92+$0.08|15/30 NL (3 max) - Holdem - 3 players

SB: 14.27 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 13.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 17)
      BB: 21.17 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 17)
      Hero (BTN): 14.57 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 9:diamond: 9:club:

Hero raises to 2 BB, fold, BB raises to 4 BB, Hero calls 2 BB

Flop: (8.5 BB, 2 players) 7:heart: 5:heart: 7:club:
      BB bets 2 BB, Hero calls 2 BB

Turn: (12.5 BB, 2 players) 8:heart:
      BB bets 3 BB, Hero calls 3 BB

River: (18.5 BB, 2 players) J:club:
      BB bets 12.17 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 5.57 BB and is all-in

BB shows K:diamond: K:club: (Two Pair, Kings and Sevens)
      (Pre 81%, Flop 90%, Turn 86%)
      Hero shows 9:diamond: 9:club: (Two Pair, Nines and Sevens)
      (Pre 19%, Flop 10%, Turn 14%)
      BB wins 29.63 BB

The initial idea was to shove any flop of this kind and fold AK/Qx types of flops, not sure why I didn't do it. Any over card coming on turn/river is terrible for my hand, but on this limit players tend to play over cards just like that. OTOH they tend to stack off with them as well, so any thoughts on this one? I don't find my line that bad, but would you rather just stack-off pre or at least do it on flop/turn, rather then call down as I did?
    • worldtour
      worldtour
      Basic
      PokerStars - $0.92+$0.08|10/20 NL (3 max) - Holdem - 3 players

BB: 26.5 BB (VPIP: 100.00, PFR: 100.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 1)
      BTN: 24.5 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 2)
      Hero (SB): 24 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:spade: Q:heart:

BTN raises to 2 BB, Hero calls 1.5 BB, BB calls 1 BB

Flop: (6 BB, 3 players) A:heart: 9:club: 7:spade:
      Hero checks, BB checks, BTN bets 3 BB, Hero calls 3 BB, BB calls 3 BB

Turn: (15 BB, 3 players) 6:club:
      Hero checks, BB checks, BTN bets 6 BB, Hero raises to 19 BB and is all-in, BB calls 19 BB, fold

River: (59 BB, 2 players) J:spade:

Hero shows A:spade: Q:heart: (One Pair, Aces)
      (Pre 65%, Flop 66%, Turn 0%)
      BB shows T:spade: 8:heart: (Straight, Jack High)
      (Pre 35%, Flop 34%, Turn 100%)
      BB wins 59 BB

Can't think of a way to play this hand any worse then that... New rule: Always 3bet AQo 3handed from SB. Period.

Games done: 141/1000

Not in some super-mood to play, even demotivated a bit. But I really need to put those hours playing, NOW! Let's do that.
    • worldtour
      worldtour
      Basic
      Graph: Link Text...

Games progress: 216/1000

Was 4 tabling for the most part, trying to improve my game 3 handed. Checked the stats for BTN mostly, but it's obviously the easiest position to work on. No big changes, just tighten up a little to make things simpler. Really confused about SB play, will try to do some analyze before first session tomorrow and try to come up with some basic strategy from this position.

PokerStars - $0.92+$0.08|20/40 NL (3 max) - Holdem - 2 players

BB: 19.88 BB (VPIP: 58.82, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 50.00, Hands: 19)
      Hero (SB): 17.63 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:spade: Q:spade:

Hero raises to 2 BB, BB calls 1 BB

Flop: (4 BB, 2 players) Q:diamond: 8:heart: 7:club:
      BB bets 4 BB, Hero calls 4 BB

Turn: (12 BB, 2 players) K:spade:
      BB bets 6 BB, Hero raises to 11.63 BB and is all-in, BB calls 5.63 BB

River: (35.25 BB, 2 players) 7:spade:

BB shows K:heart: 9:spade: (Two Pair, Kings and Sevens)
      (Pre 35%, Flop 17%, Turn 89%)
      Hero shows A:spade: Q:spade: (Two Pair, Queens and Sevens)
      (Pre 65%, Flop 83%, Turn 11%)
      BB wins 35.25 BB

Another hand that I did some seriously stupid sh*t. Flop is easiest possible stack off imo, but I thought he might fold... He didn't do a donkbet so far and no potbets as well, one more great reason why shove is a must. Other great reasons to not flat the flop would be the possible OESDs and stack sizes.

I hope to get past 400 games tomorrow and then do a big session Wednesday. I would like to put some time working in PT4, did just a bit of it today and I see so many leaks in my game. I see people having "study plans" and learning schedules, so I'm thinking to get into it as well. I have PT4 for so long and never really made the most of it, so I will try to go through the reports and stats daily and look for building a learning curve. First thing is building my ranges by position and have more-autopilot decisions, e.g. not wondering whether to limp or fold that K7o from BTN, but just be aware of the circumstances needed for it to be a profitable move (SB/BB stacks sizes, player types, etc). I also rely too much on gaining all the edge from HU situation, even though 3 handed push play at those limits seems to happen seldom, I really suck at this, so there are really a ton of things to work on. Downloaded some free Spin HUDs, but didn't test them yet. Got used to playing Spins with the default tournament HUD and the switch is going to take some effort.

That's it for now, feeling very tired. Was a productive day, though!

• worldtour
      worldtour
      Basic
      Morning inspiration:

Graph since I began playing spins "seriously" from the beginning of April: Link Text...

I am not going to get outworked! Letting all the stuff outside poker get too much on me and this is messing all my playing. STOP THE DRAMA AND PLAY THE GAME!

I love what I do, loving each bit of poker I do and I'm going to fight as hard as I can to go up the limits. Min cashouts are putting enough pressure on me, so I don't need to think through everything all the time. Need to play!

Did a quick run through PT4 and checked some SB stats. This program offers so many ways to go through all kinds of spots and do all the theory work that you'd like to do. Didn't see anything brutal at first glance, so I'm not going to change my game at this point when it doesn't seem to be broken. Looking to play a ton post-flop doesn't seem to be a leak! All I can see making sense at this point is to tighten up the PF range from any position 3handed so I don't lose playing those weakest hands.

NOT GOING TO GET OUTWORKED! Even if I'd bust, let it be playing as good as I could.
    • worldtour
      worldtour
      Basic
      70 games so far today. I thought I've played like just 35 games, happy to find out it's double that. Far not enough, though. Well, I'm not going to take a rest anytime soon (unless I bust), so burning out with too much volume would suck and just making as much as I can is still good enough. Really need to put this extra hours! At least as much volume as I did so far has to be done before I call it day.

PokerStars - $0.92+$0.08|20/40 NL (3 max) - Holdem - 3 players

BTN: 7.7 BB (VPIP: 66.67, PFR: 44.44, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 18)
      SB: 14.55 BB (VPIP: 41.18, PFR: 17.65, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 18)
      Hero (BB): 15.25 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has T:diamond: 4:club:

BTN calls 1 BB, SB calls 0.5 BB, Hero checks

Flop: (3 BB, 3 players) T:club: 3:diamond: 3:spade:
      SB checks, Hero checks, BTN bets 1.35 BB, fold, Hero raises to 14.25 BB and is all-in, BTN calls 5.35 BB and is all-in

Turn: (16.4 BB, 2 players) 6:heart:

River: (16.4 BB, 2 players) K:heart:

Hero shows T:diamond: 4:club: (Two Pair, Tens and Threes)
      (Pre 59%, Flop 9%, Turn 5%)
      BTN shows 3:club: 7:club: (Three of a Kind, Threes)
      (Pre 41%, Flop 91%, Turn 95%)
      BTN wins 16.4 BB

Another hand that I am not happy with. BTN was limping a ton and I was cbetting like 100%. Still, looking at it now it might not be that bad, he's really short and by donkbetting I am not going to call a shove by him anyway, while this way I let him bet all his trash. Calling looks like the best move, since he still was not a total maniac and was not going to shove turns with air.

Put those extra hours playing. NOT GOING TO GET OUTWORKED! :f_cool:
    • worldtour
      worldtour
      Basic
      Graph so far: Link Text...

302/1000

Truth is I had some stomach discomfort post-lunch and felt quite bad until about an hour ago. Obviously, chances of getting to 1K games by tomorrow midnight look slim now, but I will still give my best.

Another thing is to review the marked hands before first session. While at it, I should go through 3-handed play once again and look for leaks, meaning how am I doing with weakest hands and SB in particular. Look through 3-handed situations in late phase too. Found those filters for particular boards today, looks like they will be great for post-flop analyses of particular hand/s.

Although I'm feeling better now, it's been 12+ hours since my first session, so I'm going to recharge the batteries now and get back to work.

If someone happens to read my spamming, good luck on the tables :f_thumbsup:
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      I'm reading. :f_thumbsup:
    • worldtour
      worldtour
      Basic
      PokerStars - $0.92+$0.08|10/20 NL (3 max) - Holdem - 3 players

Hero (BTN): 25 BB
      SB: 25 BB
      BB: 25 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q:club: J:heart:

Hero raises to 2 BB, fold, BB calls 1 BB

Flop: (4.5 BB, 2 players) J:spade: 6:diamond: K:heart:
      BB checks, Hero bets 1.75 BB, BB calls 1.75 BB

Turn: (8 BB, 2 players) Q:heart:
      BB bets 21.25 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 21.25 BB and is all-in

River: (50.5 BB, 2 players) 3:club:

BB shows T:club: 9:spade: (Straight, King High)

Hero shows Q:club: J:heart: (Two Pair, Queens and Jacks)

BB wins 50.5 BB

First hand of the game, going to call every time here, since I beat too many hands and the avg opp doing such a move is having all sorts of hands.

PokerStars - $0.92+$0.08|30/60 NL (3 max) - Holdem - 2 players

Hero (BB): 11.15 BB
      SB: 13.85 BB (VPIP: 43.24, PFR: 5.41, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 38)

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 8:spade: 9:spade:

SB raises to 2 BB, Hero calls 1 BB

Flop: (4 BB, 2 players) 9:club: K:heart: K:club:
      Hero checks, SB bets 1 BB, Hero calls 1 BB

Turn: (6 BB, 2 players) K:diamond:
      Hero checks, SB checks

River: (6 BB, 2 players) 2:spade:
      Hero bets 3 BB, SB raises to 6 BB, Hero calls 3 BB

SB shows Q:diamond: Q:spade: (Full House, Kings full of Queens)
      (Pre 80%, Flop 92%, Turn 100%)
      Hero mucks 8:spade: 9:spade: (Full House, Kings full of Nines)
      (Pre 20%, Flop 8%, Turn 0%)
      SB wins 18 BB

This one is kind of funny =D With 2/37 PFR this super passive opp is obviously crushing me, a fold pre is perfectly ok. Decided to call since this is one of the best hands I'd play against such range, given the post-flop potential and the enormous chance of stacking him off when I hit. This is the trickiest kind of flops to get into with this particular hand, but thinking about it he has monsters only and the number of Kx combinations alone are enough to c/f the flop. Undisciplined play in this hand and I'm taking note on this one!

I need to dig deeper in 3-handed play. Now I will try to look through how am I doing from SB when facing a raise from the BTN. Obviously one of the toughest spots and I tend to be passive in here, looking to play post-flop maybe way too much.
    • worldtour
      worldtour
      Basic
      Link Text...

I have been really angry all day. It all started out with no apparent reason, then I got some real sh*t on and there it goes :f_frown: All that reflected hugely on the motivation to play, but still I hit the tables. Played really bad for some part, running just as bad, but I am going to squeeze that extra effort and get past 100 games for the day. It's all fine as long as I put the volume in. Not going to ruin all the effort so far by letting the emotions take the upper hand. I did some work through PT4 and it doesn't look like I lose anything significant playing from SB 3-handed. I mostly looked for those A2s-ATs, A7o-AJo, K9o-KQo, K8s-KQs, 86s (and a few other similar type of hands) and wanted to figure how I do when calling a raise from the BTN. Then I checked a bit of BTN limping and found a few things I could improve there, e.g. raising some more hands and limping a bit wider, that could be a good move.

Let's go back to tables and do those 50 games like it's the first session for today! :gl:
    • worldtour
      worldtour
      Basic
      Games done:

447/1000

So I failed this challenge, but I'm happy with what it brought. I played (most of)those games 4 tabling and with great attention, did some work outside the tables to improve my game that adds this extra bit of motivation. Overall I didn't take this challenge that seriously, but it was nice to have anyway.

Today wasn't like the rest of the days, though. I was madly tilted before doing my first session with things outside poker. I played terribly, ran awful, lost like 20 BIs. From then on it went all downhill as I also sent part of my roll to Skrill, so I took the really aggressive approach. Put all my roll on the tables and played some $3 and $7 as well. Good news is games seem to be same as $1 or at least not that far anyway (I've played a lot of 3s already). Then I was 10 tabling and altered my game to shoving and pot-betting, as 10 tables are a bit too much to play a ton post-flop when you have like 4x HU and 6x 3-handed. Good thing is I ran decent when 10 tabling (did it like 3 times) and went to break even :f_thumbsup:

Graph: Link Text...

Calling it game now :nh:
    • worldtour
      worldtour
      Basic
      Out waiting in a car on a cloudy day. Realizing how much I love what I do. Can't wait to get home and work even harder, that 10 tabling yesterday was fun.

Gl everyone