Hello everyone

• xtorn
      xtorn
      Basic
      Hey everyone,

Just started playing NL Holdem online on pokerstars because it's such a fun game. It's dynamic and has a lot of depth.
      I am reading "Harrington on Online Cash Games" thats my purpose, to learn to master the no limit cash games 6-max. Just for play money for now,but I hope to switch soon to real money, when I get some more confidence.

I joined this forum because I feel my strategy is lacking some aggressiveness, I play way too tight and can be easily read; I know some of the basics, "fold with bad hands, raise with good ones" and all that, but what do I do with the "middle" hands so to speak? I never know what to do when I get e.g. K4o, 98o, J3s, 74o, even a 22s. I know what to do when I get broadways, but most of my hands are just regular nothings, so to speak. And I fold when I get them, so I fold too often, thats why I can be easily read.

I am reluctant to raise with these "regular" hands, because at the beginner level of play money everyone literally raises only if they actually have something, so when everyone is very tight, you will just lose a lot if you bluff, i think.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Best regards,

PS - what i meant above is all about pre-flop; basically, my problem is that I dont know how to act with regular "nothing" hands pre-flop. Sometimes I fold and then I get a set on the flop, which makes me think i play way too tight and should not have folded.
  • 3 replies
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hello xtorn,

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com

What ever your skill level PokerStrategy.com has lots of great articles and forums to help make you make the most of your game.

A good place to start is NL Beginners Course - Overview
      PokerStrategy.com also host a great video tutorial section for many different games and strategies found here
      I would recommend the following articles and threads to help you with more advanced techniques and game theory.
      5-point plan: From break-even grinder to winning player
      Live Coaching sessions
      One of the biggest recommendation I would make is w34z3l's Poker Academy
      double2's Emergency Room: Hands under Review

Though out the year there are many challenges where you can win status upgrades and other prizes.

Many members also have there own blogs to help them track there progress and experiences, for example a good place to visit is the 'Learning to win' forum found here
      When running a blog, you will profit from the following advantages:
      • By documenting your progress and career you will increase both your motivation and endurance.
      • You will work on your game automatically by discussing tricky spots with other members.
      • During a downswing you will profit from psychological support and encouragement.
      • With time passing by you will get to know a lot of cool people and even build some friendships.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
      Good luck at the tables.

Regards

Matt
    • xtorn
      xtorn
      Basic
      Thank you very much Matt!

The links are very helpful.
      Regards,
    • fapaja
      fapaja
      Bronze