SSS - reaching a larger stack

• pokerplayboy
      pokerplayboy
      Bronze
      I have a question on SSS. The articles state that once your stack reaches 25BB or higher, you should leave the table. However, in one of the video review sessions, after doubling his stack to around 35BB or so (off the top of my head), the coach remains seated and says that if this happens, we should tighten up our play.

I think I might prefer the last option since finding good tables is not easy and once you found a good one it can be annoying to have to leave it again. Should I basically make a judgement call whether to leave or tighten up depending on the table I find myself at?

Also, I was wondering if I could switch from SSS to BSS if my stack grows large using SSS. The statement in the video seems to contradict this since BSS is looser than SSS. So why tighten up in one case with larger stack but play more loose in another? Or is there a medium stack strategy which is tighter than both SSS and BSS?

Thanks for your input.
  • 10 replies
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      the reason why the coach says to tighten up is because the bigger your stack the harder is to play it so he recomends begginers to play tighter.

actually it's +ev to play the SHC hands with a 20bb or 35bb stack.
    • TimothyVdp1
      TimothyVdp1
      Bronze
      as a beginner I wouldn't stay at the table (wait for bb and then sit out), it's a lot harder to play with a 35bb stack

just stick to the articles ;)
    • pokerplayboy
      pokerplayboy
      Bronze
      Thanks for the answers, I'm sticking to the strategy outlined in the articles for now.

But purely theoretically, suppose in the far future :) I'm an advanced SSS player, and I reach a large stack size. I understand the only reason for tightening up would be that it's harder to play with larger stack, so supposing I'm an advanced player, would it make sense to switch to BSS?
    • janissilapriede
      janissilapriede
      Bronze
      The problem is - You become readable.
    • drachdudek
      drachdudek
      Bronze
      Originally posted by janissilapriede
      The problem is - You become readable.
      I agree! But anway depends on the tables and situation on the table, if table is fishy then maybe as advanced SSS player is good to stay at the table, but afterwards the highest danger in such case are "donks" and i had many situation when i enlarge or double the stack and even i tighteen up and got top pair QQ+ some donk playing BSS broke my complete stack, so according my experiences the best is when you double up or come to the 25BB stack, even sometimes 23-24BB (if tables are sharp) you just wait for the BB and move out from the table...
    • pokerplayboy
      pokerplayboy
      Bronze
      Ok thanks guys, I'll keep this in mind.
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Here's something else to think about. It has happened to me a couple of times lately. So Im sitting at a table and I double up. Im thinking I'll wait till the bb comes back around, get a few more raked hands in then I'll leave and find a new table. While the blind is coming back around to me I will only play AA and KK and fold everything else. So anyways a few times I got those hands only to lose my original stack plus the profit I had made. Whereas I could have just left and had that profit.

Once you have made 5 bb's or more probably wiser to just leave the table. Playing with a bigger stack makes it harder for you to get all of your money in. And if you lose that hand you have lost your original stack and have to start over again.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      playing aces and kings is profitable with any stack size, if you are not comfortable with 25bb+ then just play KK+ but is definetly not better to leave the table inmediatly.
    • suvalgysiu
      suvalgysiu
      Bronze
      yes I still wait for the blind and play premium hands. The blinds eat you alive when SSSing so why not take some free cards.
    • Ave27
      Ave27
      Bronze
      Originally posted by straddler71
      Here's something else to think about. It has happened to me a couple of times lately. So Im sitting at a table and I double up. Im thinking I'll wait till the bb comes back around, get a few more raked hands in then I'll leave and find a new table. While the blind is coming back around to me I will only play AA and KK and fold everything else. So anyways a few times I got those hands only to lose my original stack plus the profit I had made. Whereas I could have just left and had that profit.

Once you have made 5 bb's or more probably wiser to just leave the table. Playing with a bigger stack makes it harder for you to get all of your money in. And if you lose that hand you have lost your original stack and have to start over again.
      AA is a hand you want to get all the money u can in on. So just think what if u won, then u'd double up again.