how to learn to crush micro zoom

• Banktewn
      Banktewn
      Bronze
      I've been playing some zoom lately and although i am able to win my winrate is not very high (~2bb/100 over 20000 hands which is disgusting at 2nl). I want to know what is the best resource that i can use to study to improve my game. I feel that i should focus on the following so any helpful material or just tips on that would be much appreciated:

1. continuation betting (should i make them most of the time or just on wet boards or boards with scare cards?) and how to play on turn and river if my continuation bet is called (when i miss the flop and dont improve much on turn).
      2. how to play hands like TPTK, AA etc (basically top pair or overpair) when facing aggression. I guess a good rule of thumb to follow would be to fold in the face of any sort of strong aggression since this is normally two pair or higher on zoom?
      3. How should i play bluff 3bets? Suppose i 3bet as a bluff to protect blinds and get called, should i go for a continuation bet on the turn or just give up?
  • 3 replies
    • la55i
      la55i
      Hi Banktewn,

I think you shouldn't be worried about your winrate. Winrate at zoom tables is a bit lower than in regulars and I think 2bb/100 is decent. Of course it could be better but hey at least you are not losing :f_thumbsup: Also 20k hands is too small sample to look at your winrate accurately. Play another 20k hands and it might be 6bb/100 :)

LemOn36 has some great strategy videos for beginners. I would start with those. Then you can grind yourself a gold status and get access to more in depth strategy videos.

:gl:

la55i
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      20k hands is not enough to have an idea. Anyway, I know that you want proper answers to your questions, so I have written them below. The problem is that you are asking questions that nobody can really give you an answer to. You should work on developing a standard gameplan and then deviate based on further information. You need to dig around for some recent material yourself - w34z3l has a ton of awesome videos here on those things. Other than that, you should learn how to run filters in your HM2. Try to see where you are losing money.

1. If you have a backdoor FD + a backdoor straight draw then you should bet the flop, 2nd barrel only when you turn a FD/SD. If you have a vulnerable made hand then you should bet. If you have a super strong hand then you should bet. If you have a non-vulnerable hand then you can check or bet, but probably just bet. If you have nothing, give up on the flop.

2. Don't make a generalisation about it being "2pair or higher on zoom". It is the same on regular tables. TPTK or an overpair is generally too weak to go broke with - you can call one raise on the flop if you like, but this will often put you in many -EV situations on later streets. If you do choose to call vs flop raises then just do it in position and if they continue firing big on the turn you can just fold there. The problem isn't the hand being difficult, the problem is probably just you seeing $$$ whenever you get these hands. When you get dealt AA you are not entitled to winning all the time, so don't take the hand further than it should be. I believe you probably know how to play these hands but just want an excuse to do something else with them, like stationing down or getting it in. Often there is no excuse for doing that when you face aggression.

3. Filter your database and see how often your field is calling against 3bets. Generally I would say just pick your targets better. Pick people who fold >67% to 3bets over at least 300 hands. Otherwise you should probably just play quite tight. My suggestion for nl2 and whatever would be to 3bet about 7%* from the blinds and if you are against someone who calls a lot, that 7% should be around the top 7% of hands with no "bluffs"; if they fold a lot that 7% should be super polarised with only the best few % that you stack off with vs a 4bet and a bunch of junk. People don't fold enough but because they will be IP they will have a significant advantage against you and 3bet pots are super expensive. Otherwise I would suggest that you play the 3bet pots postflop kinda similar to how you would in a single raised pot, only use smaller bet sizings (~50% pot) and don't bluff quite as much.

*That is a rule of thumb for nl2/nl5 to get used to not only 3betting the nuts but to also not get carried away with a shit load of bluffs and unprofitable postflop spots.
    • Banktewn
      Banktewn
      Bronze
      Very detailed response and helped give me some clarity. I've been doing a lot of reading lately and i think im getting better. thanks for the help man!