Time of Day

• andrewkd
      andrewkd
      Bronze
      Hey all,

Does anyone else find when they play help or hinders?

Whilst on holidays i found myself playing morning, and i was able to take my bankroll from $55 through to $90+ playing NL10 and FL.05/.10.

However, since going back to work and only being able to play in the evening, it has fallen all the way back down to $55.

i didn't feel i was playing badly, made some mistakes, yes.

Then, i played this morning again, in 1 hour playing .05/.10 FL and 7CS, i was able to make about $2.70 profit.

It's weird and i try not to get to obssed in that sort of stuff, but maybe......
  • 10 replies
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      I play when I'm feeling good and feel like it (and have time to spare obv). Level of play is generally worse late at night and early in the morning (=late at night in the US)
    • Balanarm
      Balanarm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by andrewkd
      Hey all,

Whilst on holidays i found myself playing morning, and i was able to take my bankroll from $55 through to $90+ playing NL10 and FL.05/.10.

However, since going back to work and only being able to play in the evening, it has fallen all the way back down to $55.

Then, i played this morning again, in 1 hour playing .05/.10 FL and 7CS, i was able to make about $2.70 profit.

It's weird and i try not to get to obssed in that sort of stuff, but maybe......
      You are getting this wrong. It's because on holidays there are much more fishes playing.
    • andrewkd
      andrewkd
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Balanarm
      You are getting this wrong. It's because on holidays there are much more fishes playing.
      Hey,
      I know what you are saying, but i took my holidays before Christmas. Or do you mean now there are more fishes cause its holidays still?

I have noticed the massive increase in traffic on the sites, its good but bad at micro and low limits. You do tend to win more, but you also get sucked out a little bit more.

Slowly but surely i'll get back.....
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      From what I've seen on FT NL10 SH so far the most solid regulars tend to be from Europe (mainly Germany and Russia)... so whenever I play late at night (when all the American maniacs show up and Europeans sleep) the game becomes considerably softer... too many people who probably watch too much High Stakes Poker and want to do the same crazy plays in NL10 :D
    • Mudrinjo
      Mudrinjo
      Bronze
      I agree with this. My bankroll drop from 20h to 1h, and then I go broke even till 2.30h. :)
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by andrewkd
      Hey all,

I definately find the tables tougher at certain times of day, and easier at others. Also bear in mind that after a long day of work you prob arent in top condition to start playing poker.
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      This post has made me curious, and I've set up some filters to see if my stats on PStars can shed some light on the issue. Although I mostly play SNG's and a few MTT's (not a huge database, 975 tourneys).

From 8:00-17:00 (mostly weekends and holidays, since I have a day job) my ROI is 15.18%. The sample is 242 tourneys.

From 17:00-24:00 (of course it includes every day) my ROI is 16.39. The sample is 653 tourneys.

From 24:00-7:00 my ROI is 32.52, with a very small sample of 80 tourneys.

I understand that if I were to increase the sample of the latter, variance would bring me down to the percentiles of the others. Even though, I think that I can have an edge when playing from 24:00 to 7:00, since there are a lot of drunks spewing their chips around.

Or maybe time differences around the globe can be a factor here. I'm located at time zone -4. I will pay more attention to this, since there could be a lot of inexperienced players at the tables from different time zones than mine.

If I want to be a fisherman, I have to do my job when the fish are easy to catch, not when I have time to spare.

Good thread.
    • andrewkd
      andrewkd
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBrood
      I definately find the tables tougher at certain times of day, and easier at others. Also bear in mind that after a long day of work you prob arent in top condition to start playing poker.
      Totally know what you mean. For me a lot of it was the whole major titan suckout thing going on it felt!!!!
      I do accept that after work and depending on the day you have had can make a huge difference. I try to explain to bowlers that very fact. They are always blaming the lanes and other things, never themselves, actually it is quiet amusing!!

[quote][i]If I want to be a fisherman, I have to do my job when the fish are easy to catch, not when I have time to spare.

Good thread. [/quote]Brilliant saying, i really like that.

Thanks again for the answers, it is interesting to hear others responses
    • Frakkk
      Frakkk
      Bronze
      As a general rule early in the morning and late at night people don't play their A game. When I sit at a table I usually look at the countries and see what time of day it is. I often find that players from a timezone late at night often tilt or make some bad calls because they are tired... and tilt more.. Friday and Saturday nights are also full of fish, having house parties, or just drinking beer, eating pizza, playing poker. This Friday night I played over 1100 hands on PP, 68 BB/100 on 2-4c tables.. I'm telling you, they were calling my sets with J high:D
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      I remember one of my professors told me that during the day the brain's left hemisphere is more active and in the night the right hemisphere dominates. The left side works with empirical data, numbers, language, symbols, straight lines, etc. The right side processes the abstract information, creativity, and curved lines. Maybe that's why (besides the amount of booze) you see this people trying to bluff more at night.

I don't know, maybe at night it's easier to pick up live tells, but to play a mathematically correct game online the day works better.