Button-range, defend vs 3-bet

• danwan
      danwan
      Gold
      Hi.

Can you help me to create defending-ranges from the button vs 3bet from SB or BB.
      At the moment I use the ranges below as standard when i defend the button vs 3bet from SB or BB.
      I usually openraise with the sizing 2.2BB from the button and use these ranges if I face a 3bet around 9BB (4 times my OR)

4-bet and jam vs 5-bet:
      AA-QQ
      AKs, AKo

4-bet and fold vs 5-bet:
      A9s-A6s, ATo
      K9s-K6s, KJo
      Q9s-Q8s

Call:
      77-JJ
      AQs-ATs, AQo-AJo
      KQs-KTs, KQo
      QJs-QTs
      JTs-J9s
      T9s, 98s

I have some question about this.
      1. What do you think of my standardrange vs 3-bet?
      2. How do you change these ranges if villain 3-bets often, and what is often?
      3. How do you change these ranges if villain 3-bets rarely, and what is rarely?

4. What range should I defend if villain 3-bets me with the sizing 3x (around 6BB)
      5. What range should I defend if villain 3-bets me with the sizing 5x or more?

6. Should I sometimes jam AKs and AKo when I get 3-bet, when and why?
      7. Is there any other hands that I should jam with when i face a 3-bet, when and why?
      8. What stats are important regarding postflop-play when deciding what range you should defend?
      9. Do you change much of these ranges vs nits, whales, regs etc.?
      10. Do you increase your opening-sizing vs different player-types, when?
      11. I usually 4-bet with the sizing 2,2x when I get 3-bet. Should I sometimes go bigger, when?

12. I play NL25-zoom at Pokerstars where the players are pretty tough (my opinion),
      so I guess these ranges should change when I play softer games, what do you think about that?

13. Also I want to know what you think about higher stakes, should these ranges change much when you play NL50, NL100 etc.?

If I have missed something about this, let me know. I want to know everything about your thought-process regarding defending button vs 3-bets.

Thanks //Danwan
  • 8 replies
    • double2
      double2
      Coach
      Coach
      Check out my 3bet videos, you will get a lot of answers on those questions: https://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/38064/
    • htghguuh
      htghguuh
      Silver
      Sure that's fine .but what game are we playing?
      Ranges vary from cash games.
      Zoom
      Tournament ss ds
      S&g
      So different types off strategy apply to different games.
    • danwan
      danwan
      Gold
      I play NL 25-zoom, 6-max, at Pokerstars.
    • htghguuh
      htghguuh
      Silver
      Sure good range but I would trim it bit.
      I know sounds wrong but AK on zoom wastes a lot off money.
      Drop pockets 8s and go from pocket 99.
      In lower limit I would go down as far as pocket 22 but not here.
      You are best off marking the players with colors to wot they do.choose you're own .
      Like red carefull red stealer etc I found huds don't work.9n zoom
      And keep the buy in on max that way other players be wary off bullying you.
      Even at that you will be bullied from the beginning.

Don't try anything illustroise until after about 200 hands played

Also wot brm are you working on you play up there if you don't have 50× buy in.
      That's just my stategy .others would say I'm wrong😕
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey danwan,

I'll move this to our "No Limit" board where it will likely get more answers as well as being visible for longer.

Regards

Laz
    • hellraiser22
      hellraiser22
      Bronze
      You are a beast :D
    • hellraiser22
      hellraiser22
      Bronze
      It depends on what kind of player you are playing with, on his stats, on his bet sizing, on stack sizes, on how he has played before. In some situations it is better to call AK and QQ and 4b with 9-8s. If opp 3betting too much i'd call something like 8-6s for a float, vs unknown my max calling range would be AQs,QKs.
    • la55i
      la55i
      I think your standard range looks ok. Maybe it is a bit heavy on 4bet bluffs. If villain 3bets you often, you can tighten your steal range and start 4betting more. I don't think villains 3bet size should affect our defending range a lot. If his standard 3bet size vs your small opens is 5x, we should defend as wide as we do vs 3x (in my opinion).

I don't like 4bet jamming any hand, but if you face a shove from from these positions, I would go broke with AK.
      I don't think villains post flop stats are that important when making a preflop decision. Of course if you have some kind of reads that you can exploit villain easily postflop, you can defend by calling more (if villain plays fit or fold postflop for example, I think it is profitable to call his 3bets wider and exploit him postflop).