Jehryn: A Slow & Steady Rise

• Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze
      Greetings Everyone,
      Since my Dutch blog is quite dated and I’ve just returned after a gap of 6 months, I’ve decided to start a new blog. :)

1. A little bit about myself

I’m from Belgium, 26, engaged and looking for a job while studying for one more Master degree. My encounter with Poker started some 3-4 years ago when a friend of mine invited me to a NL5 homegame. Although I lost 10$ I had a lot of fun and from time to times (1-2 a month) I played some poker. I also got to know Everest Poker and the infamous Shasta’s where I tried to build a bankroll, which horribly failed. Then last summer while browsing I came upon PokerStrategy. Immediately interested with the prospect of 50$ for free I registered myself and my girlfriend (who quickly lost interest). I blew my 50$ in two days and since my gf had 20$ left I decided to try that weird Short Stack Strategy. In two months I turned 20$ into 800$ and went from bronze to platinum. But with the advent of a new academic year I decided to focus on my studies and withdrew all my money. Now however it appears that my studies aren’t so hard so I’m back to the world of Poker.

2. Poker Goals

Ultimate Goal (“Dream”)

o To play successfully at NL1000 and build a bankroll of 100.000$

Goal for 2009

o Become a successful regular at NL100/200 SH with a winrate of 10 BB/100 over 50k hands.

3. Fase 1: Building a Bankroll

1. Goal: bankroll of 4000$
      2. Method: SSS & Bonus whoring

3.1 Detailed Plan

Initial BR: 350$
      I assume an average winrate of 1 BB/100 with SSS, which should be very doable.

Pokerstars 100$ Bonus [CLEARED]

NL30 & NL50 SSS
      BR: 600$

PokerRoom 300$ Bonus [FAILED]

NL100 SSS

5k hand: +235$ profit

BR: 835$

-80$ for HM (trial ran out)

BR: 755$

Fult Tilt: 600$ Bonus [IN PROGRESS]

NL100 SSS

Future Bonuswhoring
      PartyPoker: 500$
      PokerKings: 500$
      Ladborkes: 1000$
      Betfair: 1500$

Wish me Luck :D
  • 11 replies
    • LPLDS
      LPLDS
      Bronze
      you are in the right path.
      More important than speed is the direction.
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze

Session of 2 hours this evening. Around hand 200 I was kinda happy :D but as expected variance kicked me right back to EV :P . I'm very happy with the end result, I didn't make any big mistakes, made 3 BI and most importantly: the Red line is above zero. :)

Session Balance: +62$
      PokerRoom Points: 120 PP (1460 left)

BR: 772$
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze

Running HOT HOT HOT :D

Session Balance: +103$
      PokerRoom Points: 15 PP (1445 left)

BR: 875$
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze
      Well, I've decided to withdraw my money from Pokerroom and not clear the bonus. The reason is very simply: It's a freaking desert X( During the day there are only 3-5 tables of NL100, in the evening 10-12. Since i Multitable 9 tables I simply can't open enough tables and even If i can, the P/F is extremely crappy on most. Also if i happen to run good, i run out of tables. It's just so frustrating i'm starting to tilt simply because of this. Clearing the bonus would be possible, but it would be very close since i can't play enough.

So on to Full Tilt, more people, more tables, better bonus and sweet sweet rakeback. :)
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze
      So. I was finally able to transfer my bankroll to FT and happely began a session. FT is new to me and due to this and running below EV i made a few errors but i was still pretty confident i'd be able to end the session on a positive note.

Guess not..... :(

EDIT: to freaking big graph

My starting BR at FT: 735$

Session: -135$
      Bonus: +40

BR: 640$
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze
      Today I started playing with the intent of wiping out the horrible memory of yesterday's downswing. Unfortunatly things didn't go the way i wanted. Although I didn't get a lot of bad beats I kept losing money and the green line hit rock bottom after 1500 hands at -130$. After reviewing my hands i can't say i played bad, I just had the bad luck of having QQ whenever somone had KK+. I think i lost JJ 5 times in a row against QQ,KK,QQ,AA,QQ. At -130$ my bankroll was essentially to small for NL100, I only had 500$ left.

But stubborn as a mule i decided to continue on NL100, figuring that since I wasn't tilting or playing bad I should be able to reverse the tread. And I did. :D . After another 1500 hands I finished the session at +50$.

Starting BR: 640$

Session total: +50$

Bonus: 60$

New BR: 750$

All in all i'm a happy camper :D

P.S. This has confirmed once more the importance of BRM; I won't be playing NL200 untill i have at least 40 BI.
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      hey, just so you know 10BB/100 is a pretty sick winrate to sustain at 100nl and 200nl or higher unless you play HU, and even then it's not that easy to sustain.

Getting to 5BB/100 is already very good, most players can't do it.

Good luck with everything

edit: for me BB=ptbb ldo
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze
      Well I didn't mean ptbb, that would be very sick indeed :D .
      But 5 ptBB/100 is hopefully a good goal to aim for. But thats for the far future, at the moment i'm aiming for a winrate of +0.000001/100 SSS :D
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze

Another very fun session at FT lol. In total i'm running 220$ under EV but my BR keeps growing :D

Starting BR: 750$

Session: +50$

Bonus: +20$

New BR: +820$
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze

Well finally the variance pendulum swung to my side :D

Starting BR: +820$

Session: +120$

Bonus:+20$

New BR: +960$
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze

Well this will be my last post here since I'm done with SSS.

The last graph was around hand 7k where i briefly went above zero. Since then I've played a steady 2k hands a day and I've lost over 840$ from which 420$ below EV. I don't have clue why I'm running so horribly, I've used the right tactic SSS, with the right charts, I posted my hands on the Dutch forum, watched video's & coaching etc.... Of course I make some mistakes, It's not like I'm leakproof but I'm convinced I play well enough to at least go Break-even with SSS. At the moment I have some 340$ left which is mainly due to the FT deposit bonus. I'm through with SSS, maybe it really is profitable in the long run but if 20k hands Isn't long run than its not for me. Maybe I'll go BSS I don't know yet, My bankroll isn't sufficient for NL25 but the rake at FT NL10 is ver high so I haven't decided yet.