Get busy living, or get busy dying - Road to 1k and Beyond!

• fingontinuviel
      fingontinuviel
      Bronze
      Introduction
      Hi guys, just a little bit about myself - I'm in my mid twenties and just recently graduated from university. I started picking up poker about a month ago when PokerTube videos kept appearing on my news feed (but somehow they just love showing Phil Helmuth ugh!).

Aim of Blog (and my game)
      The aim of this blog is to join the Get Rich or Die Trying bankroll challenge! It's gonna be a steep hill climb given my lack of knowledge, and my small bankroll! To me, increasing my skills to the best I can is my main target, while increasing BR is just a necessity to achieve this goal. I will not stop at a certain stake just because it is the most profitable, but instead, I will keep challenging myself to go up once my BR is sufficient.

My Bankroll
      Initial Bankroll: $28 (30 May 2016)
      Target Bankroll: $1000

My Method
      Given my lack of bankroll, I will be grinding STT SNGs as it is the only game which I can ride through the variance. I'll play the occasional cash games, and whatever freeroll tournaments I can get. Once my BR is sufficient, I will switch my focus to split between NLHE and SNGs.

While I have sufficient BR to play 40c SNGs, I'm pushing myself to play at least 50 10c SNGs to fix my major leaks. I'm playing them one at a time, 5 games per session, 2 sessions a day. Hence, each session takes me about 2.5-3 hours to complete, excluding the review. Currently, I've played 40 of them, with a ROI of 40%. I know it's inaccurate, but at least it is encouraging :D There's 60 more to go, so it'll take me another 6 days to complete.

Personal Milestones
      $1,000 is a super long way to guy, required me to double my bankroll.. 5 times! In order to keep myself motivated, I have created my own milestones. The targeted period takes into account my current pace and time when I'll be away.

Milestones
      $50 - Target: 1 week
      $100 - ?
      $200 - ?
      $400 - ?
      $700 - ?
      $1000 - ?

That's all folks, and all the best to me!
  • 9 replies
    • fingontinuviel
      fingontinuviel
      Bronze
      Reserved for updates
    • fingontinuviel
      fingontinuviel
      Bronze
      Reserved for updates
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Howdy,

GL with your goals, will be interesting to see your progress starting from almost scratch. A few guys already did that in the BR challenge, even though i can't remember someone doing it in Sit and Goes...

CU latest for the weekly update!
      btw, which room will you be grinding at?
    • fingontinuviel
      fingontinuviel
      Bronze
      Thanks with the luck! I'm playing on 888poker - started off with the 20 free tourney tickets and $2 cash bonus, from which I gained $18 in redeemed cash. After that it took me a week to hit $28 before I decided to work on this challenge.

I suppose given my lack of BR, SNG is the only game that gives me sufficient BR to ride through the variance. Even at NL2, I require $80 for 40 BI.
    • fingontinuviel
      fingontinuviel
      Bronze
      3rd day of my challenge and I totally tilted - lost $6.50 over a few hundred hands. At least 7 times nobody called my raises when I had AA/KK, and when someone raised all-in, my AA cracked to 54o because 367 appeared on the flop. I thought I played decently well most of the time, until my last few hands when I tilted and made terrible calls.

Might review my hands if I'm in the mood later - Just wanna say that this is the first time I tilted so badly, that I know that I'm tilting and that it's gonna be a bad call, but I didn't care and just called
    • fingontinuviel
      fingontinuviel
      Bronze
      So this post marks my disappointing first week. Besides losing $6+ on cash game while on tilt, i only achieved a measly 4% ROI on 40c SNG - quite far off from the 40% on 10c SNG. Seems like I still have to work a lot on my strategy, still trying to feel my way around when to be more aggressive and when to stay away. Nevertheless, I'll keep working hard on reviewing my games!

Heading overseas for a couple of days - not sure whether I'll be playing but I'll bring my laptop along!

Week 1
      Bankroll: $22.75
      +/-: -$5.25
      SNG: +$0.78
      Cash: -$6.50
      Freeroll: +$0.47
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      enjoy your trip & thanks for your first report, even though it did not look thaat successful!
    • fingontinuviel
      fingontinuviel
      Bronze
      I feel bad for disappearing without notice over the past week! I was touring at Sydney and watching live poker in action. Unfortunately I couldn't participate in their tourney or cash games as I was under a very tight budget. It was a good break from poker for me, and I feel motivated to train more now!
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      No worries and welcome back! Also, let us know some nice live poker stories, they are mostly fun to read!
      looking forward to your BR challenge report for next week than...
      SvenBe