Seeking advice....first thread

• sickbadger7
      sickbadger7
      Basic
      Hi everyone! Am finding myself at a bit of a poker crossroads so I thought I'd try out forums and get some opinions and advice from more experienced players (or just better players). Perhaps I am overconfident with my game; it hasn't really evolved in for a while and I haven't sought ways to improve. I figure coming on these sort of sites to talk about it might be a good move for me.
      I like SnGs and find that I am usually playing micro/low one table games. I feel that I understand them well and I am happy with the way that I play. Don't get me wrong, I make mistakes but when I do I can recognise them and beat myself up accordingly :f_biggrin: . There's no way that I want this thread to become a bad beat bitch, I feel motivated to change mindset and don't want to dwell.
      It feels like I have some kind of poker PTSD. I don't let it change how I play but I go into each hand assuming that I will lose. I've been playing the game casually for perhaps four years and it feels that most of that has been downswing. When I said that my game hasn't evolved lately, I would probably say that's been for around the past year and a half. I went bust with my first bankroll and I would say that a lot of that had to do with poor play in the early days and bad roll management. The swing keeps coming.
      I feel that a big hole in my game is how emotional I get. I sink into my poker PTSD further and don't want to put in the hours. If a have a bad couple of games then I'm done and probably too angry/tilted to play effectively. Maybe I use that as an excuse to stop. I love poker. Spend a lot of time watching tournament poker but I lack patience to actually play. Unless I'm winning, poker is the most frustrating thing in the world to me - I have no fun and it just feels like a waste of time and money. Get it in good I lose, get it in bad I lose (don't want to elaborate, let's not dwell). Obviously that's an exaggeration but it doesn't feel that I'm being profitable and it's so hard for me not to be results orientated.
      If I put in the quantity then I really do think it could be profitable but again, mindset in a huge hole in my game. There are times where I bust out of a game because I played a hand poorly but that feels like a rarity to me. It would benefit me greatly if people can evaluate my game; I feel I make good decisions most of the time but maybe it's not downswing, maybe I suck. Any ideas what the best ways are to get feedback on my game generally? It's time that I take a good look at how I play and try to evolve my game but at this stage, I don't know how. Don't have any friends who play.
      I took a long break from poker but maybe 9 months ago I put a $50 deposit onto Pokerstars and going very slowly, ran that up to a little over $300. It's rare that a session for me lasts longer than an hour. If I make a good profit then I don't want to keep playing as I don't want to jinx it and have the pain flood in. When my AK vs A5 always feels like a coin flip, I don't want to push my luck if I'm winning. So I'm just not putting in the volume.
      I had a serious downswing at Pokerstars recently and a few weeks ago, after losing shoves with KK in three consecutive games (no opponent had AA), I rage-quit Pokerstars and cashed out $260. Decided to move the money to Party Poker and moved that up to over $300 pretty quickly. Again, not doing much volume and the variety of games is disappointing in comparison to PS. I am playing games well within bankroll management because I don't want to risk much when I'm not running well. Playing $2.20 SnGs with a roll of about $290 now. I have had a couple of days of play where I am just plain hating poker and feel like I'm getting beaten up, which prompted my cry for help. I want to evolve. I love the game so I want to enjoy playing it, which is not how things are most sessions. Considering cash games. Perhaps a game with less variance than one table SnGs would help build confidence.
      Anyways. Ranted far too long and if you did more than skim read all that, I thank you. Shit, if you skim read it you get thanks too. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
  • 11 replies
    • Hesticus
      Hesticus
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I skim read dude ;) However, the Mental Game of Poker seems the perfect book for you. It doesn't only help you improve your game. If you seriously put in the work, it also helps to find your true self.

GL at the tables!

Hesticus
    • sickbadger7
      sickbadger7
      Basic
      Thank you Hesticus. I bought that book a couple of years ago but haven't spent much time with it. I appreciate the response. Looks like forums might be the wrong place for me. I will break it out again :f_biggrin:
    • rompas
      rompas
      Hi Sickbadger7

Welcome to pokerstrategy :f_thumbsup:

by your post it looks like you belive in your game and your biggest issues is to the deal with bad run and variance, i can also sometimes get feeling i hate poker when loseing alot of pots, and those times sux, but i try to think if i did play good or bad since the thing that we can control is our own play. if your game is good enough then you will be winning in long term.

its really easy to get short term oriented but i think poker is a marathon and not a sprint race.

You can allways post hands and discuss other hands in our hand discussion forum https://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1428 to learn more and get feedback at your play.

We also have strategy articles and videos you can look at to improve.

Also as new to pokerstrategy you should be eligible for our free money offers. This will cost you nothing and will give you lifetime Bronze status.

Hope this helps you little bit and wishing you good luck and fun here with us

Regards/ Rompas
    • sickbadger7
      sickbadger7
      Basic
      Thanks for the response Rompas. I will be sure to take a look at the videos and I have looked into posting hands. Can you do this with Party Poker? Can't figure out how to copy and paste the histories, don't think the software allows it. Posting hands would be helpful if I can get that done. Downloaded Sidekick.
      I appreciate the marathon analogy though the problem I have is that the better I feel I run, the closer to the starting line I get. Getting overtaken by runners with broken legs and profound learning difficulties :f_ugly: . Things have picked up over the brief time I've played the last couple of days. Broke even today though, Q6 30bb shove again my tens when heads up...didn't stand a chance. lolz.
    • Hesticus
      Hesticus
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Try this hand converter. Copy from your statistical program (if you have any) and convert it.
    • sickbadger7
      sickbadger7
      Basic
      Thanks Hesticus but Party Poker won't let me copy and paste hand histories. Not sure what to do about that :f_cry:
    • sickbadger7
      sickbadger7
      Basic
      By statistical program do you mean software like Poker Tracker? Don't have anything like that.
    • Hesticus
      Hesticus
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Yes, I mean PT or HM2. These softwares are designed for analyse your game in such way you can copy and paste them. Otherwise you may check in your handhistory folder from PP but not sure if they save the hand the same way as PT or HM2 does.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey sickbadger7,

You should be able to find your raw party hand histories at C:/Programs/PartyGaming/PartyPoker/HandHistory/YourPartyUserName

Regards

Laz
    • sickbadger7
      sickbadger7
      Basic
      That's great, thanks so much Lazza61. Will start posting my hands :f_biggrin:
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by sickbadger7
      That's great, thanks so much Lazza61. Will start posting my hands :f_biggrin:
      You're welcome. :f_drink: