Poker vs Hearthstone

• getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      Hi, anyone remembers me ? I've been inactive on this site for at least 2 years I think and wasn't playing too much poker either. I got back on track a couple of months ago, but now my motivation is slowly fading away. That's why I decided to write a blog and I couldn't think of a better place than good old pokerstrategy.
      As you can find out by the title, mostly the problem is Hearthstone. The game is too addictive to quit. I managed to stay away from it for 3 months or something, but then the expansion came out and here we go again ...

Now I'm mostly playing nl50 zoom on stars (actually Hearthstone), slowly improving to get back to some more serious stakes. I'm going to post hands, cry on my bad beats, talk nonsense and do usual blog stuff here. Since everyone definitely is bored reading this by now, I'll post the "official post" later where I tell about myself, my goals etc. See ya.

Official post comes here :

Hello one more time. I'm going to tell a little bit about myself.

I'm 27 now and I've been playing poker professionally for 5 or 6 years now. I started it same time with university. Luckily I managed to get at least my bachelor's degree, although it took longer than planned. It's hard to think about studies when you can earn much more in poker than in any job after graduating (at least it was true some time ago). Usually poker players abandon studies quite quickly which is -EV decision in many cases.

During those years I lived pretty carelessly, but what can you expect from a student playing even up to nl1k at some point. Then I had a couple of bad years, I was running badly, didn't play too much and also didn't put in any efforts in improving. Also got hooked up on Hearthstone during that period. And here I'm now, playing nl50 and whining about life.

As I mentioned before, I'm hoping this blog will help me focus more on game and I'll be able to achieve everything I've planned. I don't have any long term poker related plans since past has shown that there is no point in such a thing. By that I mean it's impossible to know what will happen in poker world. Countries make stupid laws about online poker, things like black Friday happen... You can never be sure about tomorrow, so it's pointless to bank any hopes on poker in future. Actually this is one of the reasons I'm writing this blog. I wanted to go on twitch, but I'm not sure that's good idea since online poker is kinda semi-legal in my country. So I will have to stick with this blog because I don't wanna attract any unnecessary attention. I might do it with Hearthstone some day tho:f_biggrin:

Finally I'll write down things I'm planning to do while posting in this blog.

• Play at least 100k hands every month while @nl50
      • Spend at least half an hour analyzing the game every day I play
      • Move up stakes ASAP
      • Take a little bit more time off poker and hearthstone, at least for the summer
      • Crush everyone

That's it for now, I'll try my best to stick to this, but hopefully not for too long. NL50 is not fun to play. Definitely I'm going to play less when I move up, the plan is to take a first shot after I win ~10 more buyins at nl50. I'm going to set new goals after that happens, for now I'm just going to update the blog with some hands, graphs and other stuff that comes in mind.
  • 13 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      hearthstone addiction ate a bunch of my poker motivation as well (got all 9 golden classes on NA :f_confused: ), now i guess i'm kinda sick of the game until they add like hearthstone zoom or something :D a "nozdormu mode" would definitely have me playing all day again
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      I never played hearthstone. So I don’t know anything about it, but I wish you all the best with improving your game and your new blog :gl:

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • rompas
      rompas
      Hi,

What motivates me is money, if i could do more money in hearthstone then poker i would probably play that,,,

looking forward to your next post with goals/challenges and all the etc :f_thumbsup: Good luck from me also :f_drink:
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      I updated my first post with the stuff I promised. Hopefully you will enjoy reading it.
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      First day this month wasn't great, fortunately I managed to come back in last hands while closing tables.

I had 1 really weird hand. Do you guys call that river ? I really have no idea what to do here, we kinda have better hands to call, definitely some Kx, but it felt like nut blocker might be more important, so I called.

BTN: $143.22
      SB: $69.63
      Hero (BB): $84.18
      UTG: $13.72
      MP: $78.30
      CO: $50.00

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with J:spade: Q:spade:
      3 folds, BTN raises to $1.25, SB calls $1, Hero raises to $5.50, BTN calls $4.25, SB calls $4.25

Flop: ($16.50) 9:club: K:heart: 3:heart: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $7.84, BTN calls $7.84, SB folds

Turn: ($32.18) Q:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($32.18) 2:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $129.88 all in, Hero calls $70.84 all in

Final Pot: $173.86
      BTN shows 9s 9d (three of a kind, Nines)
      Hero shows Js Qs (a pair of Queens)
      BTN wins $171.86
      (Rake: $2.00)

And yeah, it's all about the balls

BTN: $50.00
      SB: $60.56
      BB: $156.56
      UTG: $97.00
      MP: $52.75
      Hero (CO): $51.50

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is CO with T:heart: 9:heart:
      UTG raises to $1.50, 1 fold, Hero raises to $5, 3 folds, UTG calls $3.50

Flop: ($10.75) 5:spade: Q:spade: 4:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $5.10, UTG calls $5.10

Turn: ($20.95) 6:spade: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $9.95, UTG calls $9.95

River: ($40.85) 4:spade: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $31.45 all in, UTG folds

Final Pot: $40.85
      Hero mucks T:heart: 9:heart:
      Hero wins $38.85
      (Rake: $2.00)
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Ha, I just got addicted to Hearthstone (having not played a video game in 13 years) - still a huge fish at it. I have a column on it coming this Saturday on the newspage.
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      @BarryCarter
      You should open Hearthstone section on this site. Many poker players play it. Anyways, looking forward to Hearthstone news :f_cool:

I've played 18k hands this month already, but without any success. I was down $500 at some point, then almost made a comeback. Still doesn't look good enough to post a graph. I'll do that some day next week, now taking holidays off.
    • EthereaL
      EthereaL
      Platinum
      Damn HS is messing with my grind as well :( . Gl in moving up the stakes.
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      I remember you had some pretty epic work ethic and put up a ton of volume back in the days.

GL getting back there! :f_thumbsup:
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      Originally posted by vonki
      I remember you had some pretty epic work ethic and put up a ton of volume back in the days.

GL getting back there! :f_thumbsup:
      These days finishing Hearthstone season in top25 comes in first place, putting in any volume after that :)

Finally I managed to catch an upswing this month.

Taking a 4 buyin shot to nl100 tomorrow, hopefully gonna run like last 15k hands. If I lose them, gonna grind it back at nl50 and then try again until I get lucky. I'm using 32 buyin bankroll management for nl50. Maybe it's too safe, but I don't wanna gamble with it since I count only profit without rakeback as my winnings. I will let you know how it gone in a day or two. C ya.
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      My nl100 shot didn't go too well. I managed to lose my 4 buyins over 5k hands. Now going to grind them back at 50. Gonna continue my grind on Monday, playing Hearthstone tournament tomorrow. Maybe that will go better.
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      Played nl100 for last days again, this time running a little bit better. Still not much of a success so far :

These are all nl100 hands this month.

It sounds weird, but looks like fish/reg ratio is even better here as it was at nl50. Only regs are way better. I also noticed one other interesting thing - I rake same bb/100 here as at NL50. Not sure about exact rake for each limit, but I always thought that rake decreases when stakes go up. It might be sample size issue, but I started to investigate what's going on. Turns out that average pot size is much bigger (more overbetting and larger bets in general) and my WTSD is much higher as well (which probably means people are folding less or I'm stationing more for some reason).

I'm going to play on, unless I catch some bad swing. Now playing only 3 tables and it feels much better than 4. Also I'm planning some hardcore grind next days since weather is quite bad here and very likely it's not improving soon. I will keep you posted.
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      Hi,

It's been a while since my last update, but now it's time to fill you in. I'm just enjoying summer too much. No idea is that good or bad, but I can't put in volume I wanted. Surprisingly I've barely played any hearthstone as well.

You already saw my nl100 adventures, nothing good happened there. Gonna grind nl50 next month since this one wasn't so great.

Still making some rakeback money, but I'd wish for more.